JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With ODFW's huge overreach and overreaction with their blanket stream closures, and the hot weather pushing more people to the lakes and rivers - even during mid week when most should be working - how has this effected your fishing? Have you changed your target species, or find yourself hunting different locales?

One of the things I love about living in Forest Grove is our proximity to Hagg. But my boat still ain't done, and I swore the place off until the weather cools because the last time I tried going out with the family, you had to bring your own parking spot, and your own rock to stand on. We literally couldn't find a place to park and fish - $6 wasted for the entry fee, we went home. The splash & giggle crowd was out in maximum force, by mid morning on a Wednesday. I got to pick my days off at work and specifically chose mid week for my weekends because it typically means the fewest people on the water or in the woods. Our unusually warm summer has shot this plan all to hell.

We've resorted to heading coastward almost weekly now for the last month and a half - mostly jetty fishing although that hasn't been great. Of late we've been focusing on some of the lakes and instead of targeting trout, salmon, steelhead or bass - when we're not fishing the salt we're targeting smaller fish like perch and bluegill just to put a bend in the rod.

The July weather was like August in overdrive and most of the lakes and ponds have lower water, higher weeds, and lethargic fish. I haven't tangled with a bass since our last actual outing to Hagg which was back in June around Father's Day. I fished the Wilson River the Wednesday before ODFW put the ban hammer down on afternoon fishing. Never encountered water that wasn't in the 50's at most all day - and I fish until damn near dark when I go. Had lots of fun getting to know a new fiberglass fly rod I got as a father's day gift (a Cabela's Prime one piece 5 weight for those who are curious) - had lots of fun catching hearty native cutthroats on dry flies and streamers. Saw a pod of steelhead holding in one of my favorite deeper pools - beautiful beasts. Fun to watch.

Tomorrow we're headed coastward again, the target quarry will be yellow perch and anything else which might fall prey to our little soft plastic jigs. My boy had a hell of a time last time catching perch. They're small but scrappy. We're not fishing for food - don't think I'd want to keep any this time of year unless I was seriously hungry anyway. I found that in the warmest time of year the fish have more parasites in their flesh. Nasty. I hate filleting small fish too. I hate cleaning fish in general - so I usually only keep larger species, and only when we want a fresh fish dinner.
Maybe if our perch species got as big as they do in Europe - they are a tasty fish for sure, just too damn small and bony for me to want to clean.

I'm counting on September to bring some cooler weather, some rain, and with school kicking back in in 2 weeks - fewer weekday warriors trying to beat the heat. I've only been stream fishing once or twice this year, and there's a few streams I really want to hit before they close in October, and we were going to try a week long camping trip at Detroit again this year - we had a lot of family fun there last year. But then, there was water in the lake last year ;)

I generally hate winter and especially hate snow - having to work outside and exposed to the elements is no fun, but dealing with the dumbass ignorant dangerous morons that think because they own a Subaru they can still safely drive the posted speed limit on their bald, crappy all-weather or summer tires and no traction devices truly sucks beyond words and there've been too many close calls while working in the icy snowy stuff - but despite all of that I am praying for a terribly wet, snowy winter (at least in the mountains!) to hopefully mitigate next year's spring and summer and keep some water in the reservoirs and streams. At least our newer truck is 4wd...

I think I'm going to be doing a bit more jetty / rock fishing on the coast this winter and maybe even some winter bass and trout fishing on some of those coastal lakes that are currently bathtubs with lots of weeds. At least when the roads are passable :D

I'm catching up on some chores here at the house that I have been neglecting. I have also started fishing the lakes going for Kokanee which I have found to like better than fishing the river. The fish strike because they have to eat whereas the salmon in the rivers strike because you irritate them or out of habit. Guess I am saying I have better luck in the lakes.

I see you're in Amboy - you fishing Merwin or Yale mostly? When I was a kid we had a membership at Camper's Hideaway and had a 5th wheel up there with a lean-to built around it - we went up there every weekend. I miss that place, no way I could afford a plot up there now though! Good trout and koke fishing up there.

I see you're in Amboy - you fishing Merwin or Yale mostly? When I was a kid we had a membership at Camper's Hideaway and had a 5th wheel up there with a lean-to built around it - we went up there every weekend. I miss that place, no way I could afford a plot up there now though! Good trout and koke fishing up there.

Yea 15 min drive with the boat. I do enjoy it. The lakes have a beautiful sunrise over the surrounding hills.

I live on the Washougal Rv, down stream from Norway Bridge at Vernon Rd. The river is my back yard. I've been fishing it for several years because I don't have a boat, it's really convenient, and I know it well. Yes, I know there's no better fish than Buoy 10, but, I pick and choose the good ones and do the best I can.

They closed the lower part, from the bridge down stream to the mouth. Now I have to drive 7 miles up stream and try to find a new place or two. Very limited access up there. Mostly private land. A couple of pull outs and a couple okay spots.

There is a Public Fishing access that they have closed because of their 'Fish Weir'. They are selecting brood stock and tagging natives. They have them all trapped and stacked up in a large nice pool. However, no fishing within 1000 feet of the weir downstream. That takes the whole pool out of the game!

They sure know how to stop fishing. Not many people out because there's not many places you can crowd into.

So, they say they closed the tributaries due to warm water that causes parasites to latch onto the fish and kills them. We are supposed to be seeing dead fish all over the banks. Really? Haven't seen one dead fish. I'm sure it could be a problem in some rivers or lakes, somewhere, but this bandwagon idea to shut them all down is ridiculous. I want to see proof that that is the case here (and there, and all over).

Looking for them to open by Monday. If not, I plan to call and get an answer or two.

I might add... Water temp last reported, on 8-29, was 67.46 degrees F. On the 20th it was 73 F. The highest temp looks like was July 5th at 76.1 F. That info is from the data station at Hathaway Park in Washougal (a couple miles up stream from me). What temp is the danger zone? I'll ask them that when I call.

The water level today, after a nice rain this weekend, is higher than typical August levels and feels cooler than 67 degrees. I'm sure it will settle down a little but still, it should end up close to normal level and temp for this river.

I see no reason for not reopening at this point. I think they need to take each river, or lake, on a case by case basis and not blanket-close all areas just because 'everyone else is doing it so it must be the right thing to do'. I mean, shouldn't they provide proof to back their reasoning? Are there really parasites?

Looking forward to hearing their response.

Did washington close fishing completely? Odfw shut down salmonid and sturgeon angling at 2pm - warm water fishing was still fine by them. The odfw closure was about not stressing cold water fish - which i support - but only on fisheries that presented a problem - not statewide on 99% of streams.

I fear odfw and wdfw will be implementing these tactics - and far more in coming years on more regular basis. Climate change bs will be their reasoning. Climate cycles dont fit their agenda. It must be man made climate change and we cant let nature do its thing. Man knows best... thus we get stream closures and record setting wildfires thanks to bad policy backed by bad science and an agenda opposed to hunting and fishing and logging.

I think they did on some. On the Washougal Rv, they closed the lower section to all fishing. Only the upper section, above the Norway Bridge at Vernon Rd, is open until 2 pm.

Called WDFW. Tributaries may be open soon. Keep checking the hot line.

Columbia and tributaries... 360-696-6211, then ext *1010, and listen to the menu and reports.

Cogs

Fishery managers rescind moratorium
on Columbia River sturgeon fishing

OLYMPIA - Effective Sept. 1, state fishery managers in Washington and Oregon are rescinding a moratorium on sturgeon fishing in the Columbia River Basin.

Water temperatures have now returned to normal, ending the warm-water conditions that killed more than 80 sturgeon on the Columbia River and threatened many more, said Guy Norman, region manager for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

"The extreme conditions that was subjecting sturgeon to stress have passed," Norman said. "We believe it's safe to reopen fishing in areas of the river closed since mid-July."

Due to the states' action, anglers may again catch and release sturgeon on the Columbia River and its tributaries above Bonneville Dam. However, anglers must release any sturgeon they catch for now, because no scheduled sturgeon-retention seasons are open, Norman said.

Did washington close fishing completely? Odfw shut down salmonid and sturgeon angling at 2pm - warm water fishing was still fine by them. The odfw closure was about not stressing cold water fish - which i support - but only on fisheries that presented a problem - not statewide on 99% of streams.

I fear odfw and wdfw will be implementing these tactics - and far more in coming years on more regular basis. Climate change bs will be their reasoning. Climate cycles dont fit their agenda. It must be man made climate change and we cant let nature do its thing. Man knows best... thus we get stream closures and record setting wildfires thanks to bad policy backed by bad science and an agenda opposed to hunting and fishing and logging.
I agree ! :s0155: Don't forget the agenda opposed to Gold Mining as well. Oregon is shutting down recreational Gold Mining with a 5 year Moratorium starting January 2016 ! :s0162: No evidence whatsoever has been found or proven, and in fact Fisheries Biologist's have stated it causes no harm to the fish and aquatic sub-species. :s0083: :s0076: I am going to bet that Fisherman:s0071: are next on the list, there will be so many BS Rules and Laws to follow just like they are doing now , that people will become Outlaw's for just going Fishing ! :s0025: :s0082: :s0087: :s0163:

I agree ! :s0155: Don't forget the agenda opposed to Gold Mining as well. Oregon is shutting down recreational Gold Mining with a 5 year Moratorium starting January 2016 ! :s0162: No evidence whatsoever has been found or proven, and in fact Fisheries Biologist's have stated it causes no harm to the fish and aquatic sub-species. :s0083: :s0076: I am going to bet that Fisherman:s0071: are next on the list, there will be so many BS Rules and Laws to follow just like they are doing now , that people will become Outlaw's for just going Fishing ! :s0025: :s0082: :s0087: :s0163:

Have you looked at the reg's book? Darn near have to be a lawyer to understand it.

They definately program convergence into the hunting and angling programs; to assist with enforcement and push hunters away from eye-sight (trail heads, hiking areas, and ski slopes).

If they announce 15,000 trout being released in Hagg Lake (for example), guess where the enforcement officers will be.....they know when the salmon & steelhead runs occurs on each river.....

They use trophy decoys to turn an otherwise honest hunter into a criminal; but robo-ducks are illegal....:rolleyes: if the limit is 7 ducks, let me get my limit!

The fallacy is that more regulation and enforcement produces better behavior; only the law-abiding and literate hunter/anglers adhere to the regulations.

People are going to do whatever is necessary to eat; especially the impoverished, the frustrated, and the private landowners.

The heat = fire season precautions; the hunting statistics show that private timber-lands foster higher numbers of animals taken.

When they "ring the necks" of timber and logging companies with strict IFPLs, the timber companies shut down all public access to their lands...hunters converge on dark timber lands....guess where the enforcement officers lurk...

A deer a day in Alabama; the white tail numbers keep climbing, as the money for additional tags pours-in.

ODFW opened up afternoon fishing again on the 1st - which is good news. I think next week I'm going to try hitting up a trout stream again - I got a nice fiberglass fly rod for fathers day I've had out trout fishing on a stream exactly once so far.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top