JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are propane heaters just like the one in the link that can be bought for camping. The ones I have seen have a bladder that you hang, the water flows through the heater, and then is let out through a nozzle. I'll post a link if I can find one...

I figure there will be enough things to worry about post SHTF besides personal hygiene. if everyone has a toothbrush and toiletpaper, that will be pretty good.

we have a renewable source of water and fire, so I figure weekly baths will be the way we go. (as in boiling water in kettles and filling the tub with it)

in the summer, I do have 2 solar showers that may be nice to use. I've used them camping before and they are quite pleasant and pretty cheap.

I agree. But, I need to get a solar shower!

I figure there will be enough things to worry about post SHTF besides personal hygiene. if everyone has a toothbrush and toiletpaper, that will be pretty good.

we have a renewable source of water and fire, so I figure weekly baths will be the way we go. (as in boiling water in kettles and filling the tub with it)

in the summer, I do have 2 solar showers that may be nice to use. I've used them camping before and they are quite pleasant and pretty cheap.

Poor personal hygiene as I recall was listed as killing more folks than bullets in the Croatia civil war. It might be difficult to be clean and sanity while blending in with the masses, but I think it was strongly suggested. Too well fed was another pointer by the guy that survived a year of that civil war. If one cannot be invisible, I guess then one better blend in really well.

I have seen similar units on Amazon (1.4 gal/min) for about $100. Personally I like MissJ's comment about simply heating up some water as needed.

Looks cool. The only thing I did not see (maybe I didnt read enough) was if you could just fill it with water or do you need a flowing source?

The ones for your house or rv need a pressure source.I guess if you had an elevated tank,it would work. I've been thinking about one for the my trailer since the RV hot water tanks seem to burn too much propane.
The prices have come down I was told

As others have mentioned, I think hygiene will be important after a SHTF situation. Moreover, I think a warm/hot shower will be a psychological luxury to keep me and my family motivated in that situation.

I read somewhere that one should try to thrive and not just survive. I can't afford to plan for a complete or instantaneous restoration of "normal" after a SHTF situation, but I'll try to help it along with a few luxuries such as hot shower, or a small propane-powered oven to bake bread or cookies.

Amazon.com: Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven: Kitchen & Dining

Peter

I am a big fan of the rocket stoves. Very efficient use of fire wood.
Google rocket stove mass heater.
They use the exhaust flue,traveling under a bench,to heat the house.
How about it goes though a water tank? You know that one you just replaced? A hole in the bottom and a hole in the top with a 4-6" pipe though the middle and you have hot water.
* don't forget to weld the pipe in the tank* may leak a little otherwise.
There are some tolerances you will have to investigate if you make your own tank and raise the pressures up with boiling water.I would guess as long as the water is flowing you would be OK though.
And I think a smaller one would wok good for camping or RVing.Heck you could pre heat the water going into the hot tank.

In disaster situations, living without heat or only using heat a few hours a day is pretty standard. If you've ever been cold for a long time, you appreciate just how heavenly a hot shower can be. On demand hot water is a beautiful thing. Won't just clean you, but will help to clean dishes, clothes, whatnot. 150 degrees is enough to cook things like pasta Alfredo that comes in packets if sealed in a thermos for 10 or 12 minutes. Fuel is super precious when supply is cut off. This looks like an efficient use of fuel to heat water. Most makeshift methods waste a lot of heat. I'm pretty happy to be made aware of this product.

There is a fantastic old book called "Rats, Lice, and History", by Zinsser. This will set you straight about the importance of hygiene, and the guy has a wicked sense of dry, black humor.

Having hot water around almost defines civilization. For what it's worth, propane can be stored without degradation indefinitely so long as the tanks are kept free of damage.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top