JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Someone please tell me my eyes are playing tricks on me. I purchased some Hornady 44mag Factory rounds fired them and they were a blast :)

I go to reload the once fired brass and none of my large pistol primers would fit.
Winchester LP
CCI LP
Tula LP

I started looking at the cases and thought this can't be right let me look at these things under the magnifying glass. Sure enough small pistol primer pockets. I know many started this with 45ACP but with 44Mag CMON.

Usually any day at the bench reloading is a great day but having these hang up my Hornady LnL AP was a pain in the :s0054:
DSC02825-44.jpg
The Hornady seem to be small pistol primer pockets the ones on the bottom worked just fine.

This is what the primer looks like after seating it with a hand primer with two handed force. On the press it won't seat feels like something is going to break. I knew this was dangerous but I had to make sure, I was wearing thick work gloves, eye protection and ear protection when I did this with the hand primer.
DSC02830-44-1.jpg

The fix

Small primer does go in tight.

It is not a big deal no need for me to call Hornady it just ticked me off, surprised me. I only had 20 of these cases mixed in with my 44 Mag brass. All the ones with small primer pockets had fatter print. I do have some Hornady brass with smaller print that has the large primer pocket.

So the fix to me was easy, take my RCBS trim mate case prep military crimp remover and cut the primer pocket open. Then use my rcbs large primer pocket uniformer. Now theses cases fit large pistol primers nice and tight and all of them fired and set off Alliant 2400.

I think Manufacturers should put this sort of thing on their boxes. Example loaded with LP or SP something like that.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top