JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you shot this rifle off a bench with the same ammo?

I'd also recommend a better stock to get a better cheek weld if possible.

What is your goal for the rifle?

Have you shot this rifle off a bench with the same ammo?

I'd also recommend a better stock to get a better cheek weld if possible.

What is your goal for the rifle?
Not yet, its much closer for me to shoot on public lands. But I do plan on a range visit to really see how this load groups from a legit benchrest. The rifle originally was just to own an AR, but now its to learn handloading and since im a hunter develope a deer load as a backup deer rifle (hence the bullet...). Not that Im fond of hunting with the 223 but Im down to only 1 traditional hunting rifle this year so a backup cant hurt since Im taking the time. Ive thought about a new stock but haven't decided yet.

You may have already mentioned it but what trigger is in there?
ALG Defense Advanced Combat Trigger
And you need a baseline to go off of. That would be benching it from a solid stable shooting surface.
Oh I agree with this as a baseline for accuracy and plan to.
Ive been able to get way more shooting in closer to home on public lands focusing on my task by myself with no distractions. Most of the time I can hold a decent enough group outdoors but this last time I had to shift my "shooting lane" over because the vegetation had an explosive growth, this put my folding table on softer uneven ground so I could barely squeeze out exactly 100yds.
I just thought the horizontal displacement was odd to see as a pattern between strings is all but after this discussion it makes sense I was struggling with a horizontal stability. I've also simultaneously started working on a handload for my lever gun too, and that requires my old optical chronograph which I will not take to the range anymore. I got a lot of work done last weekend in short order. I validated my velocity is consistent and I hit 3K, ...my handload technique has become repeatable. I tested a string of the same recipe with another brass lot and should be able to use the same recipe. I did a fine ladder with my lever gun load and think I have an accuracy node (I think) at the velocity I want. Between letting my barrels cool I practiced pistol shooting.

PSA had their 3.5 lb trigger on sale for $89 recently. I've bought two and they're really good for the price!
Thats tempting but I want to keep a practical setup for the rifle in case I want or need to use it for hunting or as a self defense rifle. The ALG trigger is super crisp... I forgot exactly what I measured it at but they advertise it as 6lbs but its a smooth and crisp break.

ALG Defense Advanced Combat Trigger

Oh I agree with this as a baseline for accuracy and plan to.
Ive been able to get way more shooting in closer to home on public lands focusing on my task by myself with no distractions. Most of the time I can hold a decent enough group outdoors but this last time I had to shift my "shooting lane" over because the vegetation had an explosive growth, this put my folding table on softer uneven ground so I could barely squeeze out exactly 100yds.
I just thought the horizontal displacement was odd to see as a pattern between strings is all but after this discussion it makes sense I was struggling with a horizontal stability. I've also simultaneously started working on a handload for my lever gun too, and that requires my old optical chronograph which I will not take to the range anymore. I got a lot of work done last weekend in short order. I validated my velocity is consistent and I hit 3K, ...my handload technique has become repeatable. I tested a string of the same recipe with another brass lot and should be able to use the same recipe. I did a fine ladder with my lever gun load and think I have an accuracy node (I think) at the velocity I want. Between letting my barrels cool I practiced pistol shooting.

Thats tempting but I want to keep a practical setup for the rifle in case I want or need to use it for hunting or as a self defense rifle. The ALG trigger is super crisp... I forgot exactly what I measured it at but they advertise it as 6lbs but its a smooth and crisp break.
Understood about the trigger. 6lbs is still pretty heavy for any kind of precision shooting.

Understood about the trigger. 6lbs is still pretty heavy for any kind of precision shooting.
The trigger came with an additional reduced power spring at 4.5lbs, I should see if I can find it for the purpose of load development I can always swap back the 6lb spring as needed.
Alternatively, as a milspec trigger... maybe I can find a 3.5lb spring? What would be an ideal weight for precision shooting?

The trigger came with an additional reduced power spring at 4.5lbs, I should see if I can find it for the purpose of load development I can always swap back the 6lb spring as needed.
Alternatively, as a milspec trigger... maybe I can find a 3.5lb spring? What would be an ideal weight for precision shooting?

Just get the PSA trigger. Lol

I've found that for me a nice 2-4lb pull works really well depending which Rifle I'm using. 2lb on my 308 and 4lb on my 300WM(planning to low to 3lb). My AR uses a stock mil spec trigger and gets good groupings at 200yd.

Hey, I thought was the one that convinced you the sonic cleaner was the way to go? :(
Actually, i think thats correct. Both of us jumped on the idea iirc.

Now for this thread im wondering if I can get out of it without ending up buying another rifle.... Cause if i replace my trigger the spare parts keep growing back until another rifle is born.... 🙂

Last Edited:
Actually, i think thats correct. Both of us jumped on the idea iirc.

Now for this thread im wondering if I can get out of it without ending up buying another rifle.... Cause if i replace my trigger the spare parts keep growing back until another rifle is born.... 🙂
Not a bad dilemma to have I'd say. :D

Trigger control or the stability of your rest. Same rest as always?
Trigger control (includes breathing control).
Trigger control at the beginning of a range session is pretty normal for me. His groups look pretty much like mine. I generally settle down within ten rounds The wife's AR (good trigger), my AR trigger that came with it from Curt's. And, when I'm shooting the Garand or Swede Mauser w/irons at 60 yds. Those triggers are stock.

That is a good deal.
So I got my Timney gauge out and my trigger pull measures 4.25lbs. The ALG kit came with 2 springs it looks like I put the lighter one in back then. I'm not certain how much I would benefit from reducing .75lbs? Thats probably significant to a match shooter? Ive always maintained a practical application to my guns, hunting or self defense. I think I'm holding off for now, though....

In the mean time, I found a stock with an adjustable comb height and LOP that I hope will work out, should arrive this week...

1658104613962.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top