JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed an odd horizontal displacement in my POI between several strings of fire. The grouping isnt the greatest but the horizontal displacement is something Ive never experienced before. This is a handload I worked up so not certain if its my handloading inexperience which I doubt because in my experience group sizes have all be circular regardless of precision.
Rifle is zeroed with this handload at 50 yards and is shooting about 1.5" high as expected for a 223.
Any thoughts or opinions?

Notes:
.223 Rem in AR15
55g TTSX, 3038fps average.
Zero: 50 yds, target shown is at 100yds.....

Selection_001.jpg

It could be eye fatigue so just blink some more(I know everyone says this and i hate it too) or you need to close your eyes and clam your heart rate. It could also be that you might be moving your shoulder or the way you are pulling the trigger/gripping the handle. Or combination of the above.

No wind that day, looks like this was all on my what I wanted to know. Public lands and my folding table isnt the most stable,.... been meaning to build a sturdy portable shooting bench. I'll have to pay more attention to my shooting position and setup. It was a less than ideal spot, uneven ground.
Ive just never seen such consistency in my inconsistency before :p ... typically if Im shooting sloppy my groups open up never had them shift....

I almost forgot there is a way to test if it's your eyes. If you have a FFP scope(at min a 100yd, further the better) go max zoom and yardage you can and watch down the scope for at least 30 seconds or more. If things start to get fuzzy and/or shakey than try the eye blink first, repeat for closed eyes and claming of heart rate. If neither of these things stop the fuzziness and/or shaking than you could have an slight eye stigma. This is how I found out I have one and my aim is better now that I know about it and I'm able to correct for it.

I almost forgot there is a way to test if it's your eyes. If you have a FFP scope(at min a 100yd, further the better) go max zoom and yardage you can and watch down the scope for at least 30 seconds or more. If things start to get fuzzy and/or shakey than try the eye blink first, repeat for closed eyes and claming of heart rate. If neither of these things stop the fuzziness and/or shaking than you could have an slight eye stigma. This is how I found out I have one and my aim is better now that I know about it and I'm able to correct for it.
Interesting. I dont have a FFP but would this work with a second focal plane scope?

Interesting. I dont have a FFP but would this work with a second focal plane scope?
It might work on a SFP as well, I noticed mine when I got an FFP as it made it easier to see if the lines looked like they were moving.
If it has an illuminated sight that can help too as the color will look a little blurry instead of a fine line.

No wind that day, looks like this was all on my what I wanted to know. Public lands and my folding table isnt the most stable,.... been meaning to build a sturdy portable shooting bench. I'll have to pay more attention to my shooting position and setup. It was a less than ideal spot, uneven ground.
Ive just never seen such consistency in my inconsistency before :p ... typically if Im shooting sloppy my groups open up never had them shift....
Even with uneven ground you can try the prone position with bags or pods to help reduce the wiggling of table and/or body and see if you get the same results.

It might work on a SFP as well, I noticed mine when I got an FFP as it made it easier to see if the lines looked like they were moving.
If it has an illuminated sight that can help too as the color will look a little blurry instead of a fine line.
I'll give this a try....

I feel like I just revealed my age to be admitting to check my eyes... :p

Even with uneven ground you can try the prone position with bags or pods to help reduce the wiggling of table and/or body and see if you get the same results.
I do have a basic shooting mat but the problem with early summer public lands is the vegetation is exploding now. Ive had to do some "gardening" to clear a few things with even my tall target stand. I was in my backup spot cause the better one was taken. I made do.
When I need to I have a range membership when I really want to see my group size. I just enjoy the outdoors more and its closer.

I do have a basic shooting mat but the problem with early summer public lands is the vegetation is exploding now. Ive had to do some "gardening" to clear a few things with even my tall target stand. I was in my backup spot cause the better one was taken. I made do.
When I need to I have a range membership when I really want to see my group size. I just enjoy the outdoors more and its closer.
Yeah I wish I was closer to public lands and sadly most ranges I'd use/need are almost just as far away. I'm trapped in a dead zone :(.

Have you adjusted the parallax properly on the scope?
fixed parallax LPVO. Ive just never seen consistent displacement like that but I also dont think the stock on my AR gives me a good cheek weld... add to that I know my shooting position that day wasnt the greatest or proper my folding stool was too short for one and on soft dirt. I made do but was just curious about the horizontal POI pattern. I probably was micro shifting left and right holding steady on the folding table.

If your table is not stable it will allow more side to side movement than up / down movement.

It only takes a few thousands of movement at the muzzle to show that much displacement at 100 yards.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top