JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I built a prototype target stand today for some full size silhouette targets I purchased awhile back. I bought one 8' pvc pole (diameter 1 1/4), two 8' wood strips, 4 pvc t-connectors, 2 pvc elbows, and 2 pvc caps. I cut the pvc pipe into two 20" pipes, two 12" pipes, two 6" pipes, and split the remainder of the pvc pipe in half for use as vertical inserts. I cut my wood strips into two 6' pieces and two 2' pieces, which I used to create the frame that slides in the pvc stand. I had to trim a lengthwise section off of my strips so they would slide into the pvc pipe. I'll wind up backing the frame with cardboard later but wanted to see how my paper target looked on it first.

Seems pretty sturdy and looking forward to using it soon! Plus it'll be cheap to replace or fix if something randomly gets shot up. Anyone else have any creative target stands they've made? I've got some 12"x12" targets and some clays around, wondering if I can make something for those too.

Target Stand.jpg

Target Stand.jpg

I like this!!! I'm gonna make one for myself! Is that 1x1 wood you used for replaceable posts? How much did it cost you? As Silver said, I'd fill the base with wet sand or concrete or something to prevent tipping if you haven't already.

Cool set up! The PVC is light to carry out I'm sure but a sand bag on the base would probably help against the wind. I have had mine turn into a sail quickly.

If you have a place that has soft ground you can go the easy way and buy "T" post used for fence. They can be easily had for under $10 each. Easy to use and set up.

You can either use a hard back (2'x4' OSB in the pic) or cardboard if you choose. Adjustable for any situation.

DSC_0003.jpg

If you have a place that has soft ground you can go the easy way and buy "T" post used for fence. They can be easily had for under $10 each. Easy to use and set up.

You can either use a hard back (2'x4' OSB in the pic) or cardboard if you choose. Adjustable for any situation.

DSC_0003.jpg

Is this your 1000yd target stand in your back yard?
Show off.

I like the OP's stand.Very simple

ARPC uses chicken wire on frame as a stand (on the main range). You can attach your targets with clothes pins, paper clips, butterfly clips, whatever. It's very effective. I've always thought that was clever of them.

I like this!!! I'm gonna make one for myself! Is that 1x1 wood you used for replaceable posts? How much did it cost you? As Silver said, I'd fill the base with wet sand or concrete or something to prevent tipping if you haven't already.

I think I spent about $30-$35 bucks, maybe a little bit more but I bought a spare pvc pipe. The 8' wood furrings were 1x2's, and I trimmed about a quarter of an inch off lengthwise so they'd fit into the 1 1/4" pvc pipe. I looked at a couple of design ideas, drew out what I wanted, and then put it together without glue. I'll definitely keep the sandbag/sand idea in mind when I test it out.

Will probably make another one in the near future, glad you all like it! I'd love to have some metal action targets someday, but until I save up a bit more money this seems like the way to go.

Nice work, I will bet you can fill those pipes with sand and wet it so it won't blow over as well.
I like it.
Silver Hand

I built stands similar to these and drilled 1/2" holes through the PVC, one towards the front and one towards the rear. Pound a 1/2 x 10" lag bolt through each and the stand will hold up to a fair amount of wind.

Richard

I built this one from a how-to on youtube. It is super simple to make. It's built from 2" PVC pipe and 2" x 2" Furring Strips. The next ones I build won't have the end plugs, I'll just drill a hole in one end and use a spike to hold them down should it be windy.
dsc02133small.jpg

I'd show you mine but they're down for the winter.

Basically it's an old but effective trick my dad used using quick assemble metal similar to Skang's post above. Instead of silhouettes our targets are length's of copper pipe painted dayglo orange, from 1/4" to 3", left to right, like a great big wind chime. At 50 yards you know you're on when you hear the "bing" or "bong" and see the pipe jump. Great way to teach kids basic distance marksmanship.

For more serious shooting two laundry clips and you can hang down a regular target. I'll get some shots next month when I put it back up for the year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top