JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one would you recommend?

• Simplisafe

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • ADT

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Front Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vivint

• Nest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comcast Security

• Total voters
Cameras, go NVR. Hikvision has about the best for the price. RJ6 for future compatibility.
Box stores sell allot, for basic home systems. But in reality for just a little more you can get a business grade.
Sensors with separate audio alerts around parameter. Solar spot lights, I have some that will run 16 hours.
For extra you can add decent audio camera.

Alarms system wont state in a forum, but I would add avoid WiFi cameras. They can be hacked,
I know they can. So why that's and easy fix, keep in mind it needs a strong router, and even then not hack proof.

I've been looking at the SimpliSafe system too. Did anyone get the inside motion sensors? I was wondering if those can be selectively turned off? That is, at night when I head to bed, I would want all the perimeter security on but don't want to set it off if I get up in the middle of the night and walk to the kitchen. I guess the other answer would be to not get motion sensors and just put sensors at all the entry points.
You can turn certain sensors off at the control panel, but if you have the system in home mode the motion sensors are not activated. Only exterior openings are monitored at that point.

I can not weigh in on the actual survey...just my limited experience. I have Arlo cameras on two properties. For what they cost, I'm very happy. Unfortunately one night one of my children had a domestic violence event in our driveway while my wife and I were out of town. The video and audio footage is now evidence for the upcoming felony trial. Arlo did a pretty good job recording at night with clear audio. Can't say how much we are happy we installed. I like no monthly fees. They won't keep anyone out and if the internet goes, then Arlo goes. Watching your properties on your phone from anywhere (international too) is valuable to us. Hope this has some value.

Alarms system wont state in a forum, but I would add avoid WiFi cameras. They can be hacked,
I know they can. So why that's and easy fix, keep in mind it needs a strong router, and even then not hack proof.
Exactly why I avoid inside cameras. Never made sense to me why you "need to see what my dog is doing"
If you want to hack my outside camera, we'll, you'd see the same thing as sitting in the driveway or any other place outside. No "personal" info to watch.
I do have one inside camera that is stand alone. Got it for my bar. I had my underage Childrens and they had overnight guests.
I still find it useful for my now mature guests when we host. Solves many a question when the Crown bottle goes empty, and I hate Crown lol.

I have the Arlo camera system too. One feature I like is that it's magnetic mounted. All of my cameras are outside but when we travel, I will move a certain one inside. With a mag mount, that takes all of a minute. When we get home, I move it back outside. So no matter where I am, I can monitor the exterior and a certain portion of the interior.

I use ADT in this 2nd home in WA, I had protection one in my other home that is 16 years old and this new one is very nice in comparison. Some features I love:
- works with my Apple Watch. I can arm/disarmed the alarm from my watch.
- garage door sensors. My old place do not have this feature which turned out to be very useful because I left a garage door opened one day an it showed on the LCD display.
- Nice big LCD display console vs a keypad only.
- customizable app that you can set to send notification to your phone it say. A particular door or window is left opened for a number of minutes, how long to wait is customizable.

I finally had a chance to put all of the entry sensors on all of the doors for my SimpliSafe system. I also added some water leak sensors to the master bedroom bath since there were two sinks and they were separated buy three drawers in the middle. Did not think about that when I place my original order.

I also added a water leak detector on the laundry room floor. Could save us some money in the future since we had a leaky washer in our old house that we didn't see for awhile. Didn't do any damage at least and the floor is PVC or something.

Remodeling our little house is continuing. We'll probably be working on the place for the rest of our lives.

Now I'm looking for information on how to secure the new basement windows. I know about the glass-break sensors and motion sensors. Thinking about some nice wrought-iron to put on the inside. Something like this:

IMG_0023.jpeg

IMG_0022.jpeg

I know something like this wouldn't prevent thieves from breaking the windows out - but it would probably slow them down when they tried to make entry.

Any other suggestions?

Remodeling our little house is continuing. We'll probably be working on the place for the rest of our lives.

Now I'm looking for information on how to secure the new basement windows. I know about the glass-break sensors and motion sensors. Thinking about some nice wrought-iron to put on the inside. Something like this:

View attachment 1457059

View attachment 1457066

I know something like this wouldn't prevent thieves from breaking the windows out - but it would probably slow them down when they tried to make entry.

Any other suggestions?

The iron over the windows to me is like any other tool to defend the home. Nothing will stop all but the idea is make your place a little harder than someone else. Then hope they will bother the easy target. I have LONG been a big fan of the exterior camera's. Many now offer motion detection alters sent to you. They have gotten very cheap and easy to install.

The iron over the windows to me is like any other tool to defend the home. Nothing will stop all but the idea is make your place a little harder than someone else. Then hope they will bother the easy target. I have LONG been a big fan of the exterior camera's. Many now offer motion detection alters sent to you. They have gotten very cheap and easy to install.
You're right - whatever we put in place is only going to slow down a determined thief.

I've seen ads for these security cameras. Do you know anything about them?

IMG_0026.png

You're right - whatever we put in place is only going to slow down a determined thief.

I've seen ads for these security cameras. Do you know anything about them?

View attachment 1457159
I currently have two systems here. One by Amcrest, analog 8 channel, records for a week before looping over. Its almost 10 years old and looks like they don't make it any more. When it finally dies I will order the same type system but one that uses CAT5 cable. They are far better and easier to install. The old one has motion detection but only with e-mail alters. Does allow it to be accessed from a smart phone.
The other one is called

Bought this one several years ago. The system is wireless so you do have to set up camera's so they can reach the DVR. The motion detection on these can be sent by SMS text which I like. Cameras are all Pan tilt zoom from home or your phone. Bought this one to have a watchful eye on the chickens at night. Been real happy with both. ALL this stuff looks to me to come from China so probably is all the same with different names slapped on. Main thing I have learned is buy from Amazon. If something does not work they just give you your money back. :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top