JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to purchase a Fletch high ride by Galco.
My question is specific to Remington R1 5 inch 45 ACP, and leather holsters.
This particular 1911 has sharp edge, fairly high, front sights.
upload_2016-3-1_15-51-57.png
I broke the edges some what one evening rubbing a stone on them. Nonetheless, in a used 1911 open toed no name holster it would hang up on draw.
Another (again used) full length no named holster solved the hang up issue but noticed the sight tended to chew up the leather on draw.
Since the Galco holsters are not low priced, I would hate to see the front sight shave its way through the leather from draw practice. I realize there will be some break in time required.
I've not owned a 1911 before but have shot government issued with lower profile sights more conducive to the draw.
I'm not interested in the Kydex versions.
Will the holster eventually break in so abrading and scoring of the leather no longer be an issue?
Or will it be an ongoing slow destruction?
I would like to keep the sights but......
Your opine please

Ongoing slow destruction. May take a few years though.

Maybe contact and see if you can get a little extra relief along the top for the sight and clearance.

I'm a fan of leather so I feel your pain on not wanting to go kydex.

AE Nelson Leather may be somebody to contact... Local to Oregon

Last Edited:
If it were me I would give Milton Sparks in ID. They will make you a holster that will fit your 1911. I have been wearing a Versi-Max II for years. My 1911 is concealed on my hip all day, every day. A bit of time but a holster that will last a lifetime. Because of our Pac NW weather I got the horse hide.

Not familiar with that particular gun - is the front sight staked on or is it dovetailed? Could be that the solution is to replace the front sight with a more standard model, and get your FLETCH on. That sight almost looks like a miniature Picatinny rail from your picture - it looks like it'll saw through just about any holster.

If it were me I would give Milton Sparks in ID. They will make you a holster that will fit your 1911. I have been wearing a Versi-Max II for years. My 1911 is concealed on my hip all day, every day. A bit of time but a holster that will last a lifetime. Because of our Pac NW weather :D:D:DI got the horse hide.
Second the Milt Sparks. Have their Nexus for a Commander also in horsehide. It's far and away the finest, most comfortable and most concealable holster in the collection.

Wear it every day, just about all day, never think about it much.

As for sharp edges, that Commander is an XSE (Extra Sharp Edges) with forward serrations, yup the more I practice the more it shaves the inside of the holster. It's just adding character to the holster though... The Nexus has a generous sight channel, so sight hang up or shaving wouldn't be an issue.

As mentioned it takes a while, mine was 12 weeks, but well worth the wait... Itll come in just about double the cost of the Fletch, but a far superior holster. Thinking about another as a backup, in case I wear this one out :D

Thanks for the input.
I'm getting that generous sight channel and robust stature of material will be the longtime saving grace. This makes the custom holster more attractive over Generic 1911 regardless of the brand and quality. Like tires though, some times replacement just has to be figured into the cost of doing business.
I'll look into the Milton sparks they sound interesting.
Thanks again for the insight.

If it were me I would give Milton Sparks in ID. They will make you a holster that will fit your 1911. I have been wearing a Versi-Max II for years. My 1911 is concealed on my hip all day, every day. A bit of time but a holster that will last a lifetime. Because of our Pac NW weather I got the horse hide.

They have (last time I checked) a 6-9 month wait for their products.... Ouch! o_O

Edit:
Looks like 4-6 months now.

I just may. The sight channel does appear to be generous from the pictures Morover, I like the steel lined throat and the front side cut down to assist the bend around the hip. Very well thought out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top