Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hide Your AR-15 in a Picture Frame

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hack, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Hack

Hack Salem, OR New Member

2. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

That's awesome!

That would involve having pictures in my house though...

3. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

You'd really need to set it into the wall to be effective.

4. jmh119

jmh119 Hillsboro, Oregon Member

And not have kids around!

5. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

:laugh:

6. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

that is tight but i think crooks look for stuff like that now says

7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Agreed. If it were just hung on the wall as shown it just wouldn't look right.

8. Hack

Hack Salem, OR New Member

If anyone considers buying this, I'd be happy to come over with my sawzall and make sure the frame goes in the wall :)

9. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It must be at least three inches thick.....unlike any picture I have ever seen on a wall. Not a bad concept but it wouldn't fool me, I don't think.

For someone who wanted to recess it into the wall, like a medicine cabinet, there used to be these magnetic locks that needed a "key" passed over them to disengage the magnets. These were sold for night stand drawers, etc., with firearms users in mind. My memory of these is vague, but they must have been electro-magnets of some sort with a battery operated key.

Replacing the magnets on this unit with the "keyed" magnets would help with security and with kids, I would think. Or you could build something similar yourself and lock the firearm inside the unit with cable or whatever.

10. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

It would be awesome if there was an area of the wall you could slide your finger across, and the frame popped open to expose your socom II.

11. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

I like the idea ... you could post pictures of guns on the front ... [;)]

On a more serious note, yes, install it 'in' the wall and a solonoid lock (car door popper???) is a good idea .... JMO

12. Blackfeather7

Blackfeather7 Oregon Member

13. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

There is a kind of cabinet latch called a "push-latch" that holds the door tightly if pulled on. To open the cabinet door you first PUSH on it, it clicks off the latch, and the door opens. These were designed originally for motor homes and trailers so that cabinets would not swing open by centrifugal force of the vehicle. Any good hardware store could order them for you. I once had a whole kitchen full of them. It was fun to discover guests trying to search the cabinets without success! Nobody ever thought of pushing in order to pull......................elsullo :D

14. Wouldn't be too hard to recess it into the wall if you did it vertical. then you could lag it into a stud.

15. Will

Will Everett Active Member

I like the idea but have to agree you would want to set it in the wall, vertical it would fit between the studs. If your kids are looking behind the wall hangings in your home they either need more attention or more outdoor activities!

16. jchristian77

jchristian77 Redmond, WA New Member

Here's where you can get that:

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

On their website, go to "Galleries" and look at Gallery #5, or go to "Videos" and look at Animation #7.

Very cool stuff.