JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

You're a 19 year old kid.
You're critically wounded and dying inthe jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .

It's November 11, 1967.LZ (landing zone) X-ray.
Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.
You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.
As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.
Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.
He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.
Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come.He's coming anyway.
And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.
Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.
And,he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.
He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.
Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise , Idaho
May God Bless and Rest His Soul.
I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing,but we've sure seen a whole bunchabout Lindsay Lohan, and the bickering of congress over HealthReform.
Medal of Honor Winner Captain Ed Freeman
Shame on the media !!!
Now... YOU pass this along.
Honor this real hero.Please.

TRUE. However, he died in 2009 at age 80. Tell your kids and grandkids about people like this, not arsholes like the liberal celebs, hip hop "artists" and corrupt politicians.

I always get something in my eye when I read about true heroes. One that really makes you think is a fellow named Tibor Rubin, a Hungarian holocaust survivor who should have earned a pair or MoH awards in Korea.

You're a 19 year old kid.
You're critically wounded and dying inthe jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .

It's November 11, 1967.LZ (landing zone) X-ray.
Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.
You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.
As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.
Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.
He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.
Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come.He's coming anyway.
And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.
Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.
And,he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.
He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.
Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise , Idaho
May God Bless and Rest His Soul.
I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing,but we've sure seen a whole bunchabout Lindsay Lohan, and the bickering of congress over HealthReform.
Medal of Honor Winner Captain Ed Freeman
Shame on the media !!!
Now... YOU pass this along.
Honor this real hero.Please.

TRUE. However, he died in 2009 at age 80. Tell your kids and grandkids about people like this, not arsholes like the liberal celebs, hip hop "artists" and corrupt politicians.
Q

Damn............... there were many stories like this and real men like this.
IT IS WHAT THE MEDAL OF HONOR IS ALL ABOUT !
Gives ya a tight throat........
I had friends that volunteered for 2 and 3 tours.

And, Wounded, as well.... But he, Never considered himself, "A Hero" ....
........ Real Hero's never do.

As an avionics Communication Repairman, RVN 60/70 I needed to be sure, SURE that Radios leaving my bench communicated on "Certain Frequency's" TayNinh Tower, TayNinh GCA, our Company "push" AND Dust Off

Our Company, was across the Street, from a Mobile Hospital. The Dust off choppers were the very next set of Revetments.... I can not count, the number of times, that I heard Dust Off Pilots, Claiming their radio was Mal-functioning... When the Topic was AN ORDER, to return to base, due to weather.

And I would think to myself.... "Heh, I know your radio WORKS, Brave Hearted Soul, Fly Safe...."

philip
It is that time of year, over there, the Monsoons... You can not see beyond your Windshield.... But Dust Off always got the troops out of a bad spot....

Ed W. "Too Tall" Freeman passed away August 20, 2008. He dies a hero none the less! I am humbled by such men, I only hope that if faced with daunting circumstances I can find such courage within myself. Truly, inspirational!

Damn............... there were many stories like this and real men like this.
IT IS WHAT THE MEDAL OF HONOR IS ALL ABOUT !
Gives ya a tight throat........
I had friends that volunteered for 2 and 3 tours.

My older brother was over there for 3yrs, I love him, but he is scary sometimes after dark , something clicks and it's time to go home .
he is my hero .

If you want to read a very good book on helicopter pilots and Vietnam, pick up "Chickenhawk" by Robert C. Mason.
All true and hard to put down. Amazing that any of them came out alive.

thank you for posting this, it is good to hear about real heros,and a great reminder why we should be so greatful for what we have.its sad that the clowns in d.c. dominate the head lines and the real heros go unnoticed,thanks to the media!!! thank you again.

There are thousands upon thousands of American marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen who served with honor, above and beyond and its our responsibility, no, DUTY to be sure they don't go quietly in the night, unnoticed by a forgetful nation. :s0160:

If you want to read a very good book on helicopter pilots and Vietnam, pick up "Chickenhawk" by Robert C. Mason.
All true and hard to put down. Amazing that any of them came out alive.

+ 1 on "Chickenhawk!" a great read and heroic men!

Dang - haven't thought about that book in years - think I read it in about 1983.

Also - Ed Freeman was not alone - his CO Bruce Crandall also voluntarily flew his "Huey" in - iirc both received the MOH - one more minor glitch - the story says USAF but they were Army...

Still - Great true story about a true hero...

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top