JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
thats what one of my dept trainers said years and years ago and it always stuck with me. i've certainly seen/heard of whoopsies in surrounding cities and county's where troops used 100 yard zero's doing sub-50 yard work. that whole idea of a "no-hold for 0-300 yards" just made the sort of sense you cant forget and being new to this I need to keep as much clutter and noise out of my head as possible when pressing that trigger.

That 2nd video is way off for a 50 yard zero.

Although there's many factors that contribute to the exact 2nd zero distance...such as velocity, bullet weight, barrel length and twist rate...you're still going to be high at 200, not 1.6" low...must be using low velocity ammo.

I've shot many combinations of ARs, and have yet to have one at anything less than 1.25" high at a 100.

That 2nd video is way off for a 50 yard zero.

Although there's many factors that contribute to the exact 2nd zero distance...such as velocity, bullet weight, barrel length and twist rate...you're still going to be high at 200, not 1.6" low...must be using low velocity ammo.

I've shot many combinations of ARs, and have yet to have one at anything less than 1.25" high at a 100.
Agreed, those numbers are off. Maybe Tula out of an MK18 would suck that bad. :s0092:

my set up has a MK18 upper and we used Hornady BLACK 75gr 223 and after that we did 62grain standard green tip. it ate that green tip no problem for whatever thats worth.

oh have every intention of using it and getting better etc. the issue i have is living portland metro area. no place to go, not many ppl offer rifle and the "major clubs" are populated with Range Chickens and Fudds. Its not the "dont want to do it myself" its "i dont know what the bubblegum im doing and at _least_ need someone to watch/assist/teach.
but thats me, i like to learn.
I didn't mean to come off too critical. I bet Brian took good care of you. Met him once before, I think he still has my Mossberg that he bought off me a few years ago, good guy.

Best way to explain optics is to use a little exercise. Go stand in front of a wall. Keeping your body straight and your head straight and level look at a point straight ahead on the wall an arms length away. Now stick your arm out parallel to the wall and walk forward till your fingers touch the wall. Keep your head parallel and look straight, you can put a piece of tape or a tack on this spot if you want, or just try to remember it. Your head is the optic (scope/red dot/irons) and your arm is the barrel. Your body is the gun with the barrel and scope attached. Pretend where you are looking is your targets bullseye. Now only move your eyes not your head, adjust your eyes (your scope or irons) to match where the barrel (your arm) is touching the wall. In the case of irons, you would be moving the front post down to match the barrels impact point. Once your eyes are adjusted to where the barrel (your arm) is impacting the wall (target) you can now move by means of your legs and torso (keeping your head and arm rigid) to move the whole gun (body) around to impact where you want it to. If done correctly, once you adjust your eyes down to the arm, and then move your body back to the spot you where originally looking at (or tape/tack), you move your arm up to that spot and your eyes and arm will match back at the bullseye.

Enjoy learning the new skills!

Appreciate the exercise! Always looking for things like this to "cement" certain ideas in my head. paralax is def something I had no concept of prior to getting into this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top