JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
well. I took my a friend to TCGC today to show her how to shoot. She said she wanted to learn how to shoot a pistol, hence I took her to the pistol range with some weak sw 40 that I loaded. When the first round went bang, she had enough sat down and was done. quite honestly I was surprised - guns go bang - it just happens.

how do I get her over this? start out on 22 and go up. I think the potential is there, she is just scared of the bang. I suspect I could suppressed, but eh..she's gonna have to face the music sooner or later.

she is super hot - so please give me great advice. :cool:

My wife had fear of guns at first and now carries one. I broke her by taking her shooting a lot . She loves the 10/22 and mark series rugers . She shoots whatever we shoot from 22 to 12 guage slug

Echoing the 10/22 and the .38spl remarks. Also If its recoil thats getting to her, be sure to get her in an aggressive stance. I see lots of new shooters get in the wet noodle stance as my grandpa would say.

Plus you could totally use it as excuse to get really close to her...

The things that turn people off of guns are noise and recoil. Reduce those as much as you can then work your way up.

I love taking new shooters out with the suppressed .22's. They are a big hit. They are quiet, no recoil, and you can easily give verbal commands/talk clearly.

Aaahhh yeah deen has a good point. Targets that they can hit and if reactive it is even better.

My wife and step daughter went to a NRA Woman's day. They were shooting single action 22's and single shot target rifles using 50' targets at 20' feet, balloons and paper plates. They had a great time.
I bought a Ruger Bearcat to continue with. Her daughter died some three years ago and she hasn't been shooting since. Now I need to get the grandson out since he's 12 but I need to do some safety instruction first!!

Now I need to get the grandson out since he's 12 but I need to do some safety instruction first!!

Safety Instruction
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this is mine.
Oh wait that comes after the 4 firearms safety COMMANDMENTS.

In importance of life these 4 are right after God's 10 COMMANDMENTS.

well. I took my a friend to TCGC today to show her how to shoot. She said she wanted to learn how to shoot a pistol, hence I took her to the pistol range with some weak sw 40 that I loaded. When the first round went bang, she had enough sat down and was done. quite honestly I was surprised - guns go bang - it just happens.

how do I get her over this? start out on 22 and go up. I think the potential is there, she is just scared of the bang. I suspect I could suppressed, but eh..she's gonna have to face the music sooner or later.

she is super hot - so please give me great advice. :cool:

I did the same with my 13-year-old son - started him with both .22LR for both a pistol and a rifle.

For your hot gal friend, may I also suggest you shooting video of her shooting, and then you posting the video on youtube for the rest of us to enjoy?... ;)

22LR makes it easier to get started - rifle first then pistol - like every one esle says.

I had her try a 38 special and my 40 S&W. She liked the 40 S&W better - felt the recoil more - but the gun felt more comfortable in her hand. SO now she wants to shoot my gun.

Her biggest surprise was shooting the shotgun. 20 ga. Guess it kicked a bit

sounds like maybe you need to improve on hearing protection? plugs AND muffs for her for a while.What was she using,mabye foam plugs?They aren't very effective imho. Starting with a .22 pistol,or BENCHED rifle,with big up close targets really is a good idea.MY wife loved 'lighting up' the Shoot n' C targets when she started out.

What was she using,mabye foam plugs?They aren't very effective imho.

I dont understand this statement. I know you said it is your opinion but foam earplugs have a higher db rating then most muffs. Most foam earplugs I see are rated between 29 and 33 db and most ear muffs I see are between 26 and 29 db. I know there are higher and lower for both.

One big problem I see that that people do not put in foam ear plugs properly. They squish down one end and then just barely put it in the ear canal were it does little good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA&feature=player_embedded

I took my niece to an indoor range a long time ago.First time for her.You would have guessed she grew up in a war zone with he flinching and jumping. That was just the others shooting too

This time she did better.Not twitch detected,even with the 10mm and the hand cannon next isle.

I would take he to an outdoor range to get used to the noise,kinda like you do with a new hunting dog.
Give her a treat when the gun goes off.

Seriously,I would take her to an outdoor range and see if she can calm down a little.
If not,no amount of good looks will make her a keeper if she interferes with your shooting.

She doesn't like it,you can't like it.

One big problem I see that that people do not put in foam ear plugs properly. They squish down one end and then just barely put it in the ear canal were it does little good.

sorry,that is what I was thinking but forgot to actually say it.I see so many people just stick them in their ears to the point of almost falling out.IF inserted properly they do indeed work well.

Hopefully she will try it a second time and it will be more enjoyable for her.

As you described it, her reaction is just what I'd expect if her hearing protection wasn't adequate, especially shooting indoors. Foam earplugs work the best if you get them in right, that's usually where people go wrong as Nwcid said. If you're shooting indoors, especially with others shooting in nearby lanes, double up foam and a good set of earmuff style hearing protectors. Then you'll know you've done everything you can for the "bang". Shouldn't need a suppressor to teach new shooters...

For the recoil, you've got to show her a good grip. I can't know how you shoot, but this deserves some thinking on your part about making sure she's got a solid grip and a good stance. People come up with all kinda of ways to hold a gun when you put one in their hand for the first time. About two weeks ago I had an instance where I mentioned to a new shooter to make sure to get a high grip when shooting a Glock .40 for the first time. All be darned, she managed to grip it so high she got slide bite on her dominant hand. That's no fun.

tl;dr Get some good foam plugs, make sure to roll 'em up tight and put 'em in right, and show her fundamentals with a .22

Go to Bimart and get a box of 22LR Sub Sonics. Through a rifle you almost don't need to wear ear plugs. You can also get 22 Shorts of you're using a lever rifle. Those are quieter the a pellet gun.

When you want to go up to a 38, Check with some of the Cowboy action shooters. We shoot very light 38 loads for competition (125 gn going 600 fps).

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top