JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not really into knives but I have a very nice old hunting?/skinning? knife that I'm at a loss as to whether it has value or not. I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has heard of it.

I know little about it other than my Dad purchased it approx. 50 years ago in Winnipeg (Canada) took it with him hunting a few times. He passed on approx. 25 years ago and it has been sitting in an old toolbox in my sister's basement ever since.
I haven't had much success but I figured someone here might be a LOT more informed than me.

I'll try to post a picture later today, but in the time being here's a description:
-over all it's 8.5"
-blade is 4.5", heavy, no flex, has a shape similarity to a Bowie (but short and fat)
-handle is natural horn, with leather stacks on either end and a stainless? flared cap.
-Blade is sharp,nick free, no rust, no pitting,
-stamped on blade near handle... Lamplough cutlery Solingen ..and.. N241/2 St
-riveted Leather belt loop sheath, stamped "Germany", tooled elk(?) picture.

I'm basically asking, is it a good knife? Is it something I should polish (and how)?
Does it have more than just sentimental value?

Look like this?

mwOmBhMCvuPn3hoE__wactA.jpg

And does it say "Rostfrei" on it at the base of the blade?

Lamplough is the cutlery maker, Solingen is the city in Germany where Lamplough was based.
I believe they refer to that type of handle as a "Staghorn."

Oh, and "Rostfrei" means "stainless" in German.

Last Edited:
Here's pictures
Nope, no "Rostfrei"

I really think it has nice proportions, sure feels good in hand.

upload_2015-11-19_14-50-48.png
upload_2015-11-19_14-52-9.png

Description from Original post:
-over all it's 8.5"
-blade is 4.5", heavy, no flex, has a shape similarity to a Bowie (but short and fat)
-handle is natural horn, with leather stacks on either end and a stainless? flared cap.

-riveted Leather belt loop sheath, stamped "Germany", tooled elk(?) picture.

Last Edited:
Does it have a leather sheath?

It's probably a good idea for me to move the description down from the original post:

-over all it's 8.5"

-riveted Leather belt loop sheath, stamped "Germany", w/ tooled elk(?) picture.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top