JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi,

Theses days due to family, work and the current plague I'm finding myself on the road pretty much all the time. Put all my reloading stuff in storage and who knows where it is. I won't be seeing it for a year and a half unless I suddenly run into some money.

What I'd like to come up with is a portable, compact setup for reloading anywhere. (Desk, work bench, hotel room, camp site) So its gotta be minimal. I'll be reloading up to .300 Winmag and .45-70 and as small as .25acp. I'm considering a progressive press, but a single would be fine as well really. Powder measure and scale, shell holders, all the basics. It all has to be able to fit into a small duffle bag or similar.

Anyone want to throw out some suggestions or mention things I missed? Powder storage tips?

Thanks!

A Lee hand press first comes to mind, paired with perhaps a Lee dipper set, a scale and powder thrower/measure.
A small and light single stage press can load magnum bottleneck cases and be bolted (use piano bolts) to a piece of plywood and then C clamped to a table etc. Lee makes a good one.
Priming off the press is nice, particularly if you are using one of the above, Lee make a very good hand priming tool.
Oh, reloading equipment is easy to get these days, primers are nonexistent so..

A bench press needs a steady platform. Frankford Arsenal makes a small stand: Reloading Stand | Frankford Arsenal or you can make your own just make sure there's enough room below for the down stroke.

For minimalist, I would use hand tools except for beam scale (I would use digital), hand trimmer, reamer, powder dippers (in conjunction with a trickler). Remember, there's dies, powder, bullets and cases. Its gonna be heavy.

Cap and ball. Get a brace of pistols and a smoke pole. Simple, effective, albeit slow. Worked on Hamilton and his son. Still puts food on the table for @Andy54Hawken. :D
+1 to the Lee hand press. I'm not sure if you can buy them new. You see them now and then here in the reloading section.
That said, you're all over the map!
Put all my reloading stuff in storage and who knows where it is. I won't be seeing it for a year and a half unless I suddenly run into some money.
Is it that it's buried under a million boxes, in a pawn shop, or rolling around somewhere?
What I'd like to come up with is a portable, compact setup for reloading anywhere. (Desk, work bench, hotel room, camp site) So its gotta be minimal. I'll be reloading up to .300 Winmag and .45-70 and as small as .25acp. I'm considering a progressive press, but a single would be fine as well really. Powder measure and scale, shell holders, all the basics. It all has to be able to fit into a small duffle bag or similar.
The hotel room bit will go over really well at a Motel 6 or Super 8. :eek: If you're outfitting with a progressive, your duffle will be the size of a goalie's hockey gear bag.

DANGit.... now y'all done got me looking into them hand presses!!:s0118:

The Lee "Breechlock" hand loader kit can be had for as little as $54 shipped! :s0023:

Ima order one of them this morning! :s0056:

I used a Lee Loader when I was a teenager to load 38s for my Dan Wesson 357. Just need a hammer and a chunk of 2x4 and your consumables to reload.

The hand press would probably make better reloads though.

1595945088797.png

1595943145067.png

+1 to the Lee hand press. I'm not sure if you can buy them new. You see them now and then here in the reloading section.

Out at the moment, Amazon states in stock 8/3

This version is in stock ATM:

I too am impressed you'll be loading while you're traveling! Gonna be a heavy gear bag with the press, dies and components.

Out at the moment, Amazon states in stock 8/3

This version is in stock ATM:

@Stomper, I wanna see you or @Ura-Ki reload a 338 Lapua case with that one!!

These are even smaller but finding them in this condition and complete can be a challenge. I get such things given to me or with other stuff sometimes. Never tried them but they must be ok if that's your thing. I guess if you're late to the game on stocking up on 9mm ammo or reloading gear these might be the cats meow.......

100_3083.JPG

I like mine, and use them pretty frequently afield, pretty handy to have with you when factory ammo is hard to come by out in the middle of nowhere! Can also load .45 Colt, and both calibers use the same bullet moulds!
Might be old school, and nostalgic, but they are damn nice to have!

(Desk, work bench, hotel room, camp site)
With regard to campsite I have a suggestion.

A while back I helped a guy out who was planning on campsite loading and I suggested he look into having a receiver hitch press stand fabricated.

Initially I was going to do it for him but cost of shipping made it impractical and he managed to find someone in his local area to have it done.

Aside from outside loading I think the Lee Hand Press appears to be the most practical.

I once had a temporary setup on a kitchen table with the press mounted on a 2x6 and then 'C' Clamped to the back end and it worked out very well - but it was kind of 'semi permanent' and I did not have to take it off and set it back up repeatedly.

Lee does have a 'tripod' style press stand which I have read good reports on as far as being relatively sturdy but its not super compact and this might be an issue.

Hi,

Theses days due to family, work and the current plague I'm finding myself on the road pretty much all the time. Put all my reloading stuff in storage and who knows where it is. I won't be seeing it for a year and a half unless I suddenly run into some money.

Anyone want to throw out some suggestions or mention things I missed? Powder storage tips?

Thanks!
The minimalist set-up for reloading are those Lee Loaders mentioned by MrMillspecer. The hand presses these other folks are referring to are probably the next best thing. I bought some of these stands from Harbor Freight Search Results For "Grinder Stand"

Easy to move them from the kitchen back into the closet when I'm done. And they are sturdy. Below is a photo of my Rock Chucker and my Ammomaster mounted onto one of them. Don't take up too much floor space.
RCBS Ammomaster Auto.JPG

Just need a hammer and a chunk of 2x4 and your consumables to reload.

Lee Loaders aren't gonna be a viable option in a motel room.

with the press mounted on a 2x6 and then 'C' Clamped to the back end

This. You'd be surprised how stable this arrangement can be, even if you have to use two clamps.

You might want to think about one of those little folding work benches made by Black and Decker, cost about $60. The Harbor Freight version costs about $22 but has a narrower footprint, prob. not as stable as B&D. I like four legs on a work station. But won't fit in your duffle bag. Does fold up, not too heavy.

The more basic Lee equipment has the benefit of being made of aluminum and therefore is light weight. The little Breech Lock reloading press is the smallest, lightest bench press they currently offer. Lee doesn't even make the small, cheapie (but fully functional) powder measure they used to offer. You want simple and light weight, get the Lee powder dipper set. They make a simple powder scale but even that now costs $30. You can get a little digital scale for $20.

Progressive reloading on the road? I wouldn't go there. Progressive is bulky, fiddly, can be fussy, needs some back-up tools and so on.

On the other hand, if you're already an experienced reloader, chances are you may find the little Lee Breechlock hand reloading tool slow, limiting and frustrating.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top