JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Preface: paying cash. Could buy a Lambo but I'm frugal.

Details:

Currently drive a beater Toyota, 2010. I work from home but I use this to mostly go camping about half the time and the other half of the time I spend time with my gf but I usually drive her Mercedes.

I own a bunch of rental properties so a truck would come somewhat in handy, except I hire people to do most repairs now and rarely haul anything. If I do, my friends parents lend their truck. Sure, a truck is handy, but I could always rent a truck from U-Haul on the rare once in a blue moon if I can't get a friends truck. A truck wasn't useful for camping when I had one because I didn't have a canopy.

I've thought about finally buying a luxury vehicle, they have a Maserati Ghibli SQ4 right now with 15K miles for 40K, 2015 model. I've never been a big spender though. While buying this won't put a dent in my account at all, I have a hard time spending money like this especially since I'm hard on cars. That said, it seems fancy but is way cheaper than a Lamborghini.

A van of some kind would be great for van life/camping/road trips. But it's not exactly a chic magnet. Though I will say I meet all my gf's online and have no problems meeting and keeping them even when they see my car since they know my true position in life and why I drive such a cheap car. Currently I'm in a relationship so it's not a concern, but a nice car would be nice...though she asked why I need one when I can just use her Mercedes is I want to drive a nice car somewhere…me thinks she doesn't want the attention I will get if I get a nice car…
So I'm torn, do I get a truck which will have a slightly further distance in the mountains as far as how far I can go (not important, a van is actually better because I can stealth camp lower elevations when even a truck can't get up there in snow) and hauling stuff for rental properties (meh, can't remember the last time I had to do that...10 years ago? If that?)

Get a van which would be great for camping and road trips?

An SUV which is a cross between a van and truck, as I can go off-road, get a trailer for hauling and sleep in the back?

Or a nice luxury car for in town driving then keep my Toyota sedan for camping since it's already beat to crap? This way I only use my Maserati for nice stuff in town, errands, although that would be most of my driving....

Or just keep my beater Toyota? It leaks oil on the fan belt and squeaks loudly randomly while driving. At 127K miles, I'm more inclined to get rid of it or relegate it for camping than to keep driving it regularly.

What a problem you have a pile of money and can't bring yourself to spend it. Just buy something and if you don't like it sell it and buy something else since you say it really doesn't effect your bank account. Worst case you'll lose 20% but since you've mentioned you can get a Lamborghini if you want than who gives a bubblegum anyway.

Just buy something and if you don't like it sell it and buy something else since you say it really doesn't effect your bank account. Worst case you'll lose 20%
In this whacky used car market, you might not lose anything. Folks are basically paying as much for 1-3 year old vehicles as new. A friend of mine bought a new Subaru last year, later in the year found out that it didn't have the towing capacity she needed, and just sold it at the start of this year for exactly what she had paid for it (with a year's worth of realtor miles on it).

Keep that Toyota. Its nice having a vehicle that works, has already depreciated in value, can haul most things, and won't draw attention. And a vehicle is nothing more than a tool. If you don't know what tool you need to replace your current one, you probably don't need a new one. Heck, I have a buddy who grew up in Montanna, played for a few different teams in the NFL, and he drove a 1980s ford pickup from his ranch while he played for the Dolphins in Miami. The inner city dudes on the team thought he was nuts, but he wasn't trying to impress anyone. Parked that beat up truck next to all the fancy cars.

But if you insist on getting a new vehicle, consider spending the same amount that you would spend on a newer car, but put it towards an older diesel pickup, in great condition, and with a manual transmission. Specifically a Dodge 5.9L or ford 7.3L. Do some research, as there are ideal years to look for. They will get likely get better mpg than the Toyota, way stronger, they will hold their value, and possibly increase in value. As some were made before EPA guidlines were put in place, they are also more reliable than modern diesels because they are designed much simpler.

Last Edited:
This seems like you

download.jpeg

And maybe blast...

Get a nice fun/work/camper van. A built up 4x4 90s Econoline or dare I say a Promaster, Transit or Sprinter.
I love driving my van. Drive it 10:1 over my Jag F-type. Must always have TWO vehicles so if one is down I have the other.

I used to lust over Huracans and the like. But in these times the whole look at me I'm doing better than you vibe is just lame.
Unlike what TV commercials and the likes of Edward Bernaise would like everyone to believe, playing rich boy is overrated.

I've been rich and I've been very poor. Oddly, the happiest times of my life were when I was poor. (80s Vanlife, 2 dogs, 2 friends, one VW rusty old van).

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews