JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like AccuBonds for elk and mule deer. Have shot mule deer at about 50 and 100 yard. Shot a few bigger bulls at 120-150 yds, and a spike at about 35(?) yds. All perfect expansion and retention even the 50 yrd mulie (though not sure about the spike bull because bullet went clear through), but don't know how it does at longer ranges. I think Nosler has a different, longer range bullet for that

The farthest shot Ive ever hunted was about 300yards. I dont really plan on long range hunting per se but the rifle and caliber are there I wouldnt mind learning to shoot farther just even for my own marksmanship.
Learning how to shoot at a distance is a great tool. Appleseed events can really help.
Very true. The longest shot I've taken at an animal is 288 yards. Most have been within 150.
I spend a lot of time making sure my rifle(s) shoot tiny groups. All of the critters I've shot weren't 100 yards away. The last three deer seasons the longest might have been 40 yards. There was a time in eastern Oregon where if I'd seen those spike antlers that I would have stretched that to a little over 200...
I just dont know if the throat is deep enough to not have to seat the bullet so dèep it starts to compress the powder..
First, you need to find the lands. I soot the bullet and chamber a dummy round. I had a picture but can't find it. Anyway, once you know where the lands are you can decided on length of bullet to use. If you have to stuff the bullet too far into the case and aren't out of room in the magazine, have the throat lenghtened.

First, you need to find the lands. I soot the bullet and chamber a dummy round. I had a picture but can't find it. Anyway, once you know where the lands are you can decided on length of bullet to use. If you have to stuff the bullet too far into the case and aren't out of room in the magazine, have the throat lenghtened.
I have a length gauge case on the way but I dont have a single 7mm bullet to use at the moment to find the lands. I dont want to have the throat lengthened... Ive already got one rifle tied up at a smith indefinitely. This new rifle I will learn to find a handload for it as is. I will probably start with ordering a couple of sample packs from Hammer but my guess is I should be able to use a longer higher BC bullet in a rifle that comes stock with an 8 twist...

@P7M13 Yeah, got a forced update and its been messing with me the whole day and I'm about ready to shoot my phone.
I already asked the mods if they can delete or change it, still having issues as I type this.
I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard on occasion, and when the battery is getting low, it will do that - get stuck on a key and keep "typing" the character even though you're not touching it. Was kibbitzing you back there. Me, I forget to hit "post reply" and leave stuff hanging for hours or even days.

I forgot to check out the new LRX line, thanks for the reminder.
Heck, I've had LRX for a while -- whoda thunk they were new?

I have a length gauge case on the way but I dont have a single 7mm bullet to use at the moment to find the lands. I dont want to have the throat lengthened... Ive already got one rifle tied up at a smith indefinitely. This new rifle I will learn to find a handload for it as is. I will probably start with ordering a couple of sample packs from Hammer but my guess is I should be able to use a longer higher BC bullet in a rifle that comes stock with an 8 twist...
I have a headspace gauge you're welcome to borrow, and a bunch (~dozen) of bullet types you can test for finding your lands.

Also, You're 1:8 twist. Look at JBM Ballistics "twist rate stability calculator" if you have any worry about what will work in your rifle. [ Link to calculator ]
What powders do you have on hand?

Well I just happen to have a pretty good chunk of experience with killing critters with a 24" barreled 280ai. I originally bought 4 boxes of factory nosler ammo loaded with 160 partitions to get going and reclaim the brass for reloading. This was 15 years ago or so. I used 2 boxes to break in and sight in the gun. I hunted for 10 years with the other 2 boxes killing a dozen critters or so including 5 elk. When I ran out of factory fodder I reloaded the brass with the same 160gr partitions and bumped the speed up about 50 fps to 2950. I have since used it with reloads to harvest another 6 animals consisting of 2 elk and 4 deer from 50-415yds. The load stays above 1800 fps well beyond the distance I am willing to shoot game animals and terminal performance has been stellar with no lost animals. I know they are not sexy and new, but those 160 partitions work with boring consistency in the 280 ai. They are also a bit hard to find right now, so there is that.

Well I just happen to have a pretty good chunk of experience with killing critters with a 24" barreled 280ai. I originally bought 4 boxes of factory nosler ammo loaded with 160 partitions to get going and reclaim the brass for reloading. This was 15 years ago or so. I used 2 boxes to break in and sight in the gun. I hunted for 10 years with the other 2 boxes killing a dozen critters or so including 5 elk. When I ran out of factory fodder I reloaded the brass with the same 160gr partitions and bumped the speed up about 50 fps to 2950. I have since used it with reloads to harvest another 6 animals consisting of 2 elk and 4 deer from 50-415yds. The load stays above 1800 fps well beyond the distance I am willing to shoot game animals and terminal performance has been stellar with no lost animals. I know they are not sexy and new, but those 160 partitions work with boring consistency in the 280 ai. They are also a bit hard to find right now, so there is that.
I also use the 160gr Partition in my 7x57 and 7mm Rem Mag. It's a truly versatile bullet. The front opens quick enough for deer and it holds together well enough to penetrate through elk. Reloader 26 would push the 280 AI well into 7mm Rem Mag territory as far as velocity.

heres a hand sketch I made tonight full scale (roughly). It shows the different depths various bullets would be seated - if I seated to max COAL per saami.
Ive read to avoid seating much past the shoulder. These longer monos really protrude into the case. I know I can seat longer towards the lands and my magazine has way more room but the longer monos that Id like to use will still protrude past the shoulder.

1201222040.jpg

I grew up hunting with cup and cores but have decided to switch everything to monos for reasons. IIRC Ive discussed in a thread in the forum here somewhere.

I'd say if you're interested in the TTSX bullets. I'd look at Hornadys GMX and CX bullets as well since they are similar and have shared weights and similar BCs. If you're planning on using monolithics.

Also if you're worried about C.O.L than the GMX, CX and TTSX are the way to likely go as they have a C.O.L of 3.25. So if 3.33 is your max than they give you some wiggle room and are less likely to push past the shoulder if you're worried about that.

Also if you're worried about C.O.L than the GMX, CX and TTSX are the way to likely go as they have a C.O.L of 3.25. So if 3.33 is your max than they give you some wiggle room and are less likely to push past the shoulder if you're worried about that.
Im not worried about COL as I load from the lands. With a mono I start at .050" off the lands but what little experience I have Ive found Hammers do not care about seating depth all tests I did held the same group.
I just dont know yet where the lands are in the new rifle so Im guessing now if they are selling bullets that long they work and I shouldnt worry about it.

Do you have any experience with the CX bullets? I've been wondering about them for my Grendel and if it's worth moving to from the ELD-M.
Not with the CX but the GMX has been good to me, which was replaced by the newer CX. The alloy is a little different but the tests they have do show an marked improvement over the GMX.

Side story since I was spending the money I threw in a lower as my aggro 114 purchase for a future project... decided it will be a Grendel.

Im not worried about COL as I load from the lands. With a mono I start at .050" off the lands but what little experience I have Ive found Hammers do not care about seating depth all tests I did held the same group.
I just dont know yet where the lands are in the new rifle so Im guessing now if they are selling bullets that long they work and I shouldnt worry about it.
Ever use something like a Hornady Lock'n'load OAL gauge?

Ever use something like a Hornady Lock'n'load OAL gauge?
yes, in fact I already picked up a 280AI modified case. The Hornady OAL gauge has been super helpful with my other handloads, not necessary but I feel its way more precise measuring to the lands than using the jam method.

Get some mags too, while you can.
I picked up 7, 25rders from Midway. They are actually on sale right now for cheap, If I order anything else before the 8th, I might tack on another one, or two...
Ultimately this will be a fun backup deer rifle, I need to get some 5 rounders to hunt with but I can put that off for now. Its gonna be a year before I get into this project anyways but I figured I might as well throw in a lower, while I can, in the cost of getting the 280 the lower was insignificant.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top