JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a nice older Plano case (about 11"x51" interior dimensions) and I wanted to find a replacement pick n pluck foam insert but I don't know who sells this stuff. I have called Plano and they no longer support this product. They have referred me to Cobra Foam and their Customer Service was rude and unhelpful.

It doesn't seem like this is something that should be so hard to find.. Or cost as much as a new case.

Many thanks in advance.

I have a nice older Plano case (about 11"x51" interior dimensions) and I wanted to find a replacement pick n pluck foam insert but I don't know who sells this stuff. I have called Plano and they no longer support this product. They have referred me to Cobra Foam and their Customer Service was rude and unhelpful.

It doesn't seem like this is something that should be so hard to find.. Or cost as much as a new case.

Many thanks in advance.
I bought some replacement foam from Amazon a while back, but it was straight foam.

I've seen it in Amazon, but has always seemed expensive for what it is...last time I needed some I went to Michaels and bought some 2" cushion foam. Used a razor knife to cut it out...not ideal, but worked at the time.

DakaGrid_Pelican730_Illustration_1.png

Daka grid. Sized for pelican products, but possibly dimensionally compatible.

Many thanks in advance.
Unfortunately a throw away world, Not the repair any and all things world of my youth. Even the average person could go to any grocery store, test their TV or Radio tubes, find what they needed in the cabinet below to fix them by themselves. Hardly a town anywhere that didn't have a cobbler. Tell me life is better now and I'll give you a hearty laugh of contempt. Most things now a days are not even made to be repaired.
In reguards to the "pick and pluck. Should they not be in budget or available, get yourself an electric knife,. it will slice foam like butter, and leave no crumb behind. I have used a cheap one for years to shape liners for shipping containers to custom shape.
Also for upholstery even able to sculpture it.

Many thanks in advance.
Plug pick and pull foam into Google, and add the size you need. Thats how I found my last batch

How bout the new " Lego " style offerings from magpul?
Looks interesting, but for the money you can buy a new case.

Sharpie and electric knife for regular foam, will hold up better with use than the individual squares falling apart.
Unfortunately a throw away world, Not the repair any and all things world of my youth. Even the average person could go to any grocery store, test their TV or Radio tubes, find what they needed in the cabinet below to fix them by themselves. Hardly a town anywhere that didn't have a cobbler. Tell me life is better now and I'll give you a hearty laugh of contempt. Most things now a days are not even made to be repaired.
In reguards to the "pick and pluck. Should they not be in budget or available, get yourself an electric knife,. it will slice foam like butter, and leave no crumb behind. I have used a cheap one for years to shape liners for shipping containers to custom shape.
Also for upholstery even able to sculpture it.
We do have an electric knife, I'm going to give it a shot.

It is a throw away world now. This is true. Home electronics, appliances, furniture, all get tossed. We used to repair, reuse and recycle everything. And people were employed repairing and refurbishing products. When I was in college I worked at an electronics store and we would take in products for repair all day. That desk was staffed at all times, and it was busy.

Plug pick and pull foam into Google, and add the size you need. Thats how I found my last batch
Thanks

I used an electric knife (bought for this purpose) and had melted foam stuck to it. Maybe it was me but be prepared.
Good advice. I'm going to try our electric knife on some pieces of foam I have lying around before buying another insert.

What a PITA, this really should not be so complicated to get a replacement foam insert for a case they probably sold thousands and thousands of.

I used an electric knife (bought for this purpose) and had melted foam stuck to it. Maybe it was me but be prepared.
I've cut a ton of foam with mine over nearly 40 years and never had that happen. Likely would with styrofoam though, I use a hot wire knife for that.
That said, Mine was a cheap one so maybe the new ones, or different brands, move faster causing more friction????
I know when I use too high of speed, or the wrong blade, on the band saw, plastic cutting will do the same even to the point of rewelding itself together.

Consider that closed cell foam is better than open cell...which is what pick-n-pluck is. Open cell foam holds moisture which can lead to rust. Closed cell is also more robust and holds up better over the long-haul than the PnP does. It's also easier to cut IMO.

But also consider whether you want to go the foam route at all. The problem with custom foam is that once it gets cut, the case can't be used for any other guns...or you at least have to buy multiple foam sets.

Consider ditching the foam altogether and going with a good padded soft case inside the hard case. A soft case can be used for a wide variety of rifles. And if you're actually using the case for airline travel, you can then leave the big, heavy, unwieldy, hard case at the hotel and just used the soft case once you get to your destination. Hard cases are often overkill for most situations...except air travel of course.

Consider that closed cell foam is better than open cell...which is what pick-n-pluck is. Open cell foam holds moisture which can lead to rust. Closed cell is also more robust and holds up better over the long-haul than the PnP does. It's also easier to cut IMO.

But also consider whether you want to go the foam route at all. The problem with custom foam is that once it gets cut, the case can't be used for any other guns...or you at least have to buy multiple foam sets.

Consider ditching the foam altogether and going with a good padded soft case inside the hard case. A soft case can be used for a wide variety of rifles. And if you're actually using the case for airline travel, you can then leave the big, heavy, unwieldy, hard case at the hotel and just used the soft case once you get to your destination. Hard cases are often overkill for most situations...except air travel of course.
Is it possible to buy the closed cell foam to fit your hard case? But I do have a soft bag in a hard case and do understand your point also.

Is it possible to buy the closed cell foam to fit your hard case?
Oh yes. Lots of places sell it and the specific sizes for the popular case brands like Pelican, Storm, etc. They probably do Plano cases as well since that's a pretty popular case, but I don't own any Plano cases so I don't know for sure.

But if there isn't a replacement set for your specific case, you should certainly be able to buy something pretty close and just trim it up a bit to fit. Here's one places that sells foam. Closed cell foam is also called Kaizen foam. And some Googling should yield a good amount of additional results.

Oh yes. Lots of places sell it and the specific sizes for the popular case brands like Pelican, Storm, etc. They probably do Plano cases as well since that's a pretty popular case, but I don't own any Plano cases so I don't know for sure.

But if there isn't a replacement set for your specific case, you should certainly be able to buy something pretty close and just trim it up a bit to fit. Here's one places that sells foam. Closed cell foam is also called Kaizen foam. And some Googling should yield a good amount of additional results.

Wonder if you could cut the closed cell to put under a soft case to hold your gun of choice. Really would only need the bottom part just to support the rifle, mags and optic. Hmmmmm

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top