JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This thread is a continuation, a part-II question from a thread I started over in the General Discussion forum on the merits of having a gunsmith look over a rifle, that one a Remington pump .22, that had been stored for at least 25 years, before I began shooting it again.

I'd brought a second gun along today, this one a shotgun, to Allison & Carey (out on 173rd and Stark in Portland) for the same inspect and clean treatment.

The shop owner (don't think he said his name, but did offer that both Allison and Carey are both gone from the biz now) looked at the gun, and looked at one of his books, looked at the gun some more and finally offered that he thinks this is a Marlin Model 28 12-Ga, and that his book says, (paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact words, but this is what I took away,) "These guns are 70-100 years old and should not be fired, they're beginning to come apart in a bad way."

So, the question is, is he right? It is a Marlin, it is a 12 Gauge. It doesn't say Model <anything>. It does have a series of patents and dates on the barrel, the newest of which is Dec 21, 1909. I didn't notice any other code-stamps.

It has a number that might be serial number just forward of the loading port, but that's only four digits long. (?!?)

The gun came from my wife's family and she was surprised that it could be that old. She thinks she knows when it came into the house, and says (and I agree) that her father was never one to buy used. That would place it at 45-50 years, but there are those patents, eight of 'em listed between 1896 and 1909 -- hard to believe they'd just stop inventing at that point and continue selling. I'll see if I can attach a few pictures...

And then, if it is a Model 28, and I'm beginning to believe it is, having found a few pictures on some other sites, what of the warning against firing it? Avoid? Only fire light loads?

Thanks for any help...

MrB

CRW_7226-r.jpg

CRW_7229-r.jpg

CRW_7230-r.jpg

CRW_7239-r.jpg

Hello MrB. If it is that old, it has a good chance of having a damascus barrel. Can you tell if it does? If it does, you will definitely want to fire LIGHT loads thru it. Good luck, there are a ton of more knowledgable folks on this forum than me, but I had to pass that warning on to you. Modern loads can cause damascus barrels to fail, dangerously!

jmh119, damascus barrels are found on really old shotguns, blackpowder usually.

Based on those pictures, that looks like a model 28 to me, the model 28 and model 43 are very similar. Model 28s were made from 1913 to 1922. If you do shoot it, stick with light loads, birdshot target loads would be best.

yep Marlin model 28......at least thats what I see and found to match the photo and all other mfg details..
It would probably say model 28 right in front of the trigger guard or I thought they did...
anyway if it was me and Im young and crazy, I still wouldnt fire it. I kinda think some firearms have a shelf life, like maybe this one. But who knows its only one mans opinion. I was suprised to read that A&C are no longer part of the store, its been years since I was there.

It would probably say model 28 right in front of the trigger guard or I thought they did...
Nope, nothing at all anywhere around the guard.

anyway if it was me and Im young and crazy, I still wouldnt fire it. I kinda think some firearms have a shelf life, like maybe this one. But who knows its only one mans opinion.
The TCGC shotgun range rules say:

3. Maximum lead and non-toxic shot shotshell load limits:
a. Skeet: 1-1/8 oz. of #8-1/2 or #9 shot
b. Trap: 1-1/8 oz. of #7-1/2 shot, 3 drams powder
c. Sporting Clays: 1-1/8 oz. of #7-1/2 shot, 3 drams powder
d. Patterning Board: #BBB shot maximum

WRT the advice to stay with light loads if I do shoot it, I'm guessing these '3 dram' loads would be considered light? If I do shoot it, it'd be at TCGC enough to gain and retain some level of proficiency, and then for home defense. Light loads would probably be adequate for intruder deterance as well, while minimizing collateral damage.

I was suprised to read that A&C are no longer part of the store, its been years since I was there.
Guy I talked to said one had passed and the other sold him the store some number (something in the teens) years ago.

MrB

when they say they 'come apart in a bad way' they mean the bolt ends up in the shooters' head. :(
Marlin has said for a long time not to shoot the guns,not necessarily because of age but design weaknesses.
Someone on the Marlin board might know the exact design flaw/weakness.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top