JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Better all around hunting round?

• 30-06

Votes: 52 67.5%

Votes: 25 32.5%

• Total voters
Reactions
I think that I have narrowed it down to the Remington 700 SPS but I cannot decide what is the better all around way to go for hunting. I would want to be able to shoot anything from mid-size game to large game (elk, bear).

I am considering the 30-06 and the .308

Thoughts?

I have a that same model in 30-06 and love it. Each rifle does have a preference on bullet grains and all that, but I don't see a big deal in going from 150g for deer and then later zeroing it with 180g for elk. My Remmy does seem to like the 150g better, but next year I'm going to zero it with 165g and go for deer/elk.

For all around hunting 30-06 is good, the bullet grains go from 55-220.

i say 30-06. Both are fine for anything in north america. But you do get a little bit more of a choice with the 30-06. Especially if you start reloading. you can change the powder levels in he 30-06 more then the 308. I love my 308, but am looking to pick up a 30-06 for hunting.

i say 30-06. Both are fine for anything in north america. But you do get a little bit more of a choice with the 30-06. Especially if you start reloading. you can change the powder levels in he 30-06 more then the 308. I love my 308, but am looking to pick up a 30-06 for hunting.

I'm kind of the opposite right now. I have the 30-06, but really thinking about getting a lightweight AR in 308 for hunting as well.

I'm kind of the opposite right now. I have the 30-06, but really thinking about getting a lightweight AR in 308 for hunting as well.

My "lightweight":s0114: 16" Ar in .308 weighs a pound and a half more than my browning 30.06 with a 20" something barrel, well it did until i had the barrel reprofiled to the lightest it can be with out exploding adding a carbon float tube and shaving the sight base and it still weighs more than the 30.06

My "lightweight":s0114: 16" Ar in .308 weighs a pound and a half more than my browning 30.06 with a 20" something barrel, well it did until i had the barrel reprofiled to the lightest it can be with out exploding adding a carbon float tube and shaving the sight base and it still weighs more than the 30.06

Yeah, thats definitely why I'm still thinking.

Yeah, thats definitely why I'm still thinking.

Its fun to hunt with but when you think about it your hunting with a heavier cool $1200-$1500 rifle vs say a $250-$600 rifle that will do a better job
not to mention you spend more time babying a $1500 pc of tactical coolness than you would a $$250-$600 tool.

and you do notice carrying that extra lb over a course of a day of hunting
i ended up killing my deer this year with my .06 (just happen to grab it that day) but my .308 is my favorite

don't get me wrong its fun to hunt with a tacticool .308 use of tactial side sling, shorter barrel for moving through thick brush faster readiness .

30-06 is one of the most versitile rounds ever made, not even debatable. I think you can go from 140gr up to 220gr, if I remember correctly. It's around there anyway. I grew up in Alaska and almost everyone, who didn't have enough money to have a specific gun for each sized game, carried these. At least that was what it seemed like.

Looks like there might be a move towards a 30-06. Thanks for you comments. Will post again when I pick it up - Gun show coming to Albany here in the first of the year.

Today I would probably go 30.06 but once upon a time I had an old Savage Model 99 in .308 that shot the 165 Nosler partition H bullet like a dream. I used it for both deer and elk. I still regret selling that rifle.

For a hunting rifle, it doesnt matter a bit. Both shoot the same bullet.

The .308 was designed to shoot through a machine gun better and be loaded with modern powders, so the shell is obviously smaller than the 30-06.

I'm a .308 guy, and I have no issue reloading it in any configuration, so I'd stick with 308 to stay with one set of dies and recipes.

Buy either one.

You will always find 30-06 ammo..even in the smallest sporting goods shop in a small town. Also, much greater choice of rounds. Although I have a 30-06 my weapon of choice is a 7mm Mag. Only reason...I like the rifle and shoot better with it.

I don't think there is a wrong answer. Each has a few advantages, and a few disadvantages.

.308:
-More efficient case, so you use less powder for similar velocity (example is Ramshot Big Game with 168gr bullet, .308 uses 49.0gr for 2,790fps, while the .30-06 uses 55.3gr for almost identical velocity- 2,810fps.)
-Short action, faster to cycle.
-Reputation for greater accuracy.

.30-06:
-Capable of shooting heavier bullets faster
-Ammo availability

Hunting for what? The '06 has an advantage over the .308 in the heavy bullets only. 200-220gr. Study your ballistics tables, reloading manuals and compare.

the extra length and weight of the '06 is only worth it when using heavy bullets. with advances in propelants and bullets in recent years, the necessity of 190gr+ bullets is almost zero.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top