JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've only been in the northwest for about a year and I love fishing but don't have much time. I got a license since I had some down time and went out to get some pinks. I live in Seattle and don't have much in the way of resources, so I went fishing off the shore and got a fair amount. Pretty fun but I would LOVE to catch a Coho, as most people are saying pinks aren't really a good salmon. I don't have a boat or much in the way of tackle. Can anybody take pity on a guy and point me in the right direction as far as tackle, location, and all that? Thanks a bunch!

Well i can't help you with a spot but i can help you with gear. Coho tend to fall on the smaller size of salmon and thus you won't need the heavy action stuff. Get a 8'6" rods (pinning or casting) and a nice daiwa or shimano reel. Try to get a medium light action rod because their bites are very light and you'll need to be quick. Any rod rated from 8-12# test line will work nicely for coho. I use the fox lure, the bell looking lure with the blade, and pink usually works but then again people will swear by a million different color. These lure sink fast so you'll have to maintain a steady pace or it'll sink quick. Waders are also important for fishing shallow river or creek mouth. Try Ifish.net, IFISH, Oregon Fishing Guides and Charters in Portland, Astoria, Seaside, Nehalem, Columbia, Tillamook Salmon, Trout, Steelhead, and Sturgeon since they got a ton of info for the NW on there. Goodluck and fish on!

If you come out to the coast be prepared the coho can be a little bigger and you may have to go heavier.
I posted in another thread here for a guy who was having the same problem, so I'd direct you there for advice.

One thing I would say to those throwing hardware is to back off the bank a bit. Coho will literally follow your spinner to the bank sometimes, and if they see you they will stop the pursuit abruptly. If there is no compelling need to wade out don't unless your upriver and pounding holes with everyone else.
Also retrieves need to be faster and shallower than for Kings. If your hooking Kings on your spinner then your probably fishing too deep, and the spinner is moving too slow.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews