JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Long, but looking for some advice on how to handle this.

I bought a car part from an online website, which happened to be a painted part, not custom painted or anything but just finished as it was an outside part. It was the best price I could find so I figured why not. It was a $200 part with free shipping. I paid $50 on a Visa gift card which I had, and then the remaining $150 on a regular Visa credit card. It saved me $80 over buying locally, and money is a bit tight so I went for it.

I got the part and it had a small scratch in the finish. I sent them an email stating this and they told me they needed pictures of the box and the part to start a damage claim with UPS. I told them it was NOT UPS fault as the box is in perfect condition the damage is from no packing materials in the box and the metal hardware in the box bouncing against a metal part. I made it very clear the damage was from their packaging not UPS. They didnt care, told me they knew how to pack shipments correctly so they wanted pictures to process it as a damaged mail claim. I refused and toldd them that is mail fraud and I wants going to be a part of it, I was then tol sorry there is nothing we can do then since I am unwilling to work with them.. While waiting on what I should so I examined the part more and more and come to find out it a powder coated part and the scratch was not all the way though, so I hand buffed it a bit and the scratch pretty much went away. I was then happy with the part again. So I went to install it and it didnt fit at all, I called up the manufacture of the part and they said I have the correct number and it should fit, I talked with them some more and they were not helpful at all they pretty much said we made it and it fit our test car, if it doesn't fit yours your doing it wrong.

Ok I know what I am doing and I am not doing it wrong, the part does not even match the one that came off my car, so there is clearly an issue. So I got back ahold of the website I bought the part from and said I need to return this, it doesn't fit, I have pictures to prove it if you need them. They came back with, we have record that you said the part came scratched, and now your saying you installed it and it doesn't fit. We can no longer accept the part as a return because you installed a damaged part, and now we dont know if the damage came from you or not. I said it was a small scratch that I was able to buff out. Their response was we do not accept installed parts for a refund, I said how do I know if doesn't fit unless I install it. He said well we could exchange it but in your case you installed a part that we have record of you stating is damaged so we can not accept it back at all.

What do I do now? Am I SOL??? Any advice??

I called up my bank, told them my story, they transferred me to the dispute department, I got a very vocal southern woman. I told them the whole story and this lady got so worked up it made me feel like she wanted to drive over to them and kick them in the knee caps hahha!!!

She said she started a dispute for me, and she said they have 2 months to counter it and we shall see what happens.. She said she cant guarantee anything but based off of what I said, I should have an easy win. I am not going to hold her to anything though as who know how it will end up in the end..

As for the $50 I spend on the gift card, I guess that is not so easy to dispute, and I am probably out that, but if i win back the $150 then I will be more than happy losing $50 as a lesson learned.

I have opened many disputes with my credit cards over the years & You should have no trouble winning yours. After you win, you can always sell the part on backpage to recoup the $50 as I suspect there is no way you will be returning it. BTW it is fraud on their part in sending you the wrong item, never mind what they were trying to pull with the ups bs

The only time I have ever needed to use that feature was when I was sent a product that was not the correct item, and within the time I ordered it and received it they went out of business.

There was also another time, but it was a bit different, I was at a bar with the wife and I started a tab, and they gave my credit card to someone else, we both had the same credit card, and same first name, but obviously different last names. By them doing so I did get out of a $75 bill as there was no way for my to pay for it (so I told them haha) but by the time I got home to check my account the people that had my card must of been aware and were bar hopping and racked up over $500 in a matter of 2 hours or so..

Buying with a credit card is what keeps some low-lifes honest.
If I find I was lied to after receiving my order I can always simply dispute it.
I like to give the merchant first crack at making things right, but many times
I don't have the 20 minutes+ it will take to sit on hold, waiting for customer service
to begin to care about my trouble. I know if I wanna spend ten minutes on hold with the credit card folks my dispute will be entered & I can get onto finding a replacement for the stuff I disputed.

You should let the credit card people know you don't want to release the part until you also get the first $50 back as well

Just wanted to bump and update this, I disputed this back on 9/16 and my credit card company was much on my side. Today got a letter in the mail today, which I must respond to by 10/30 or the case will be closed. So I have a total of 3 days to do this in..

I must take my car to a mechanic and they must attempt to install the part. If the part does not fit with professional installation the manager of the shop must provide a signed letter on company letterhead stating what the issue is with the part and what he believes in his opinion should happen to remedy the situation (refund or replacement part). I called up my credit card company asking them WTF are you kidding me, how does this work, how can that company hold me ransom for such an odd request. They told me sorry nothing they can do since the company is making an attempt to remedy the situation, I said it was an unrealistic request as to hire a mechanic to do this would cost more than the part itself.. Again there is nothing they can do.. I closed the dispute as there is no way I would be able to do this, even if I had the time to do it I HIGHLY doubt any mechanic would want to be a part of this...

A co-worker told me to just threaten them to leave the card company and see if they are willing to work with me on a partial credit or something, with my luck they would say see ya and close my account haha...

You might try calling a local shop and asking if they will check the part for compatibility. You might be surprised as around here some shops will do something like that for free if they can do it with a basic visual check and it doesn't require any assembly/dis-assembly.

Just wanted to bump and update this, I disputed this back on 9/16 and my credit card company was much on my side. Today got a letter in the mail today, which I must respond to by 10/30 or the case will be closed. So I have a total of 3 days to do this in..

I must take my car to a mechanic and they must attempt to install the part. If the part does not fit with professional installation the manager of the shop must provide a signed letter on company letterhead stating what the issue is with the part and what he believes in his opinion should happen to remedy the situation (refund or replacement part). I called up my credit card company asking them WTF are you kidding me, how does this work, how can that company hold me ransom for such an odd request. They told me sorry nothing they can do since the company is making an attempt to remedy the situation, I said it was an unrealistic request as to hire a mechanic to do this would cost more than the part itself.. Again there is nothing they can do.. I closed the dispute as there is no way I would be able to do this, even if I had the time to do it I HIGHLY doubt any mechanic would want to be a part of this...

A co-worker told me to just threaten them to leave the card company and see if they are willing to work with me on a partial credit or something, with my luck they would say see ya and close my account haha...

I hate to hear that you are giving up soo easily, any shop around me would be glad to take a look at the part & see if it would work (or not) on your vehicle
These shops depend on customer goodwill and are glad to spend a few minutes checking for a possible client. Besides, these clowns will keep trying this type of stunt
as long as they can get away with it.

I just got my statement from one of my cards & I was awarded a double credit for the last item I disputed
of course they'll take one of those credits back, but till then I got part of the banks money & I consider that bonus points!

Maybe a portion of my posts were not read?

I did dispute this directly with visa as a defective product which the company will not accept as a return, and the company's response to visa was will we accept it as a return and refund me if I get a signed letter from a mechanic starting that they (a professional) tried to install it and it did not fit. So either I need to pay a mechanic to try and do so, or fake it pay off a mechanic to lie, which I do not want to do. Is one thing to cross reference a part number but that will not do anything, the part number is said to fit my car, so either they wrong part is packaged into the box with the part number on it, or the part is defective.

Visa told me this is the only offer I have due to the seller contesting the dispute and offering a resolution. I told visa this was an unacceptable and they just told me sorry.

Not to mention I have a full time job, and I have 2.5 days to accomplish what they are asking and the shops are open the same time I work. If I take a day off work I will lose what I could possibly gain from winning this dispute.

Not to mention I have a full time job, and I have 2.5 days to accomplish what they are asking and the shops are open the same time I work. If I take a day off work I will lose what I could possibly gain from winning this dispute.

Good now you are thinking,
Make sure you let them know that too :s0155:

I'm just bustin on ya guy,
Sometimes Visa won't help me either
That's when I call them & let them listen to their card go for a ride in my shredder
I always seem to have more new visa card offers in a gunsafe anyway

We used to have a merchant account, was selling expensive folding tables. Had one person try to do a charge back. All I had to do was provide proof that he did, in fact, purchase the table. I had the signed charge slip, made a copy and saved $425 of the $450 charge, VISA kept $25 as a service charge. Never did figure out of the person tried to get all his money back or just wanted to cause us problems and cost us $25 at the same time.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top