JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry to say but you can go into a high school tomarow and ask and I bet 90% of the kids don't even know there is such a thing as the constitution

Got my copy right here IMAG0784.jpg

Love it. I almost did hardtack one of the few times I taught history. Although, I was going to be meaner and make them (sophomores) make it themselves as well as eat it.
My thinking on discussing battles: the first day it's laid out on a table in the center of the room in miniatures, the little ships/tanks/planes/etc. moved and removed as events play out.

Then, each student is assigned the role of an officer/senior NCO/other leader-type to study: what did they know, what SHOULD they have known, what did they do right or wrong? That's the essay assignment, the fun comes on Day Two when we wargame the battle and I go Darth Vader on them, "YOU are in command now..." and they step into that commander's shoes, with winning force getting something like a pizza-party out of it.

Hillsdale College, in my case. Man, someday I wanna teach there... second only to West Point on that list. :)

My thinking on discussing battles: the first day it's laid out on a table in the center of the room in miniatures, the little ships/tanks/planes/etc. moved and removed as events play out.

Then, each student is assigned the role of an officer/senior NCO/other leader-type to study: what did they know, what SHOULD they have known, what did they do right or wrong? That's the essay assignment, the fun comes on Day Two when we wargame the battle and I go Darth Vader on them, "YOU are in command now..." and they step into that commander's shoes, with winning force getting something like a pizza-party out of it.

Hillsdale College, in my case. Man, someday I wanna teach there... second only to West Point on that list. :)

I like that idea. One of my co-workers did a paper version, then had the students present their idea on the SmartBoard. The class voted on what idea they liked best. Then they learned about what actually happened.

If I ever get to teach history for a long period of time I am going to beg my dad for some of his models and hang them from the ceiling with information tags. Then switch the tags on test day for letters and give extra credit if they can identify the model.

I still wish I could figure out how to Force-choke the losers... not full Ace of Spades (you can't learn from Six Feet Under), but just enough to say "failures have consequences and It Pays To Be A Winner."

Actually, for WWI and WWII, a company I do some consulting work for has a line of little WWI and WWII planes for about 10-20 bucks a pop (B-17-size and up admittedly rather more). Those might work, or a company called Aircraft In Miniature makes some the same size that are more durable and cheaper, so it's less loss if something happens to one or a kid wants to take one home...

I still wish I could figure out how to Force-choke the losers... not full Ace of Spades (you can't learn from Six Feet Under), but just enough to say "failures have consequences and It Pays To Be A Winner."
That's a tuff call when I was 16 I had no idea what I was going to do much like lots of 16 year olds but that's the year when to get them that 's when they get to drive so that's when they make big mistake 's and and desishions

One of these days I will post a picture of my classroom. Let's just say the nickname I know about is Yoda. I even have a lightsaber pointer that a shop student made for me.

One of these days I will post a picture of my classroom. Let's just say the nickname I know about is Yoda. I even have a lightsaber pointer that a shop student made for me.
What can I say, Darth Vader is one of my heroes... mainly for the final lesson of his life that "it's never too late to do what's right." (That said, if budget and technology allowed I'd already have a Super Star Destroyer of my own under construction... with better protection against kamikaze A-wings.)

@EPS Then again, Military Sciences and Military History majors tend to be a little more motivated and focused than your "Special Snowflake-of-the-Day Studies" program participants... THOSE are the people I aim to be teaching.

I got one of those pocket Constituions that came packed in a box of Raypak boiler repair parts a while back... I actually called the factory, asked for the production manager and told him that it was awesome they were doing that.

He said they had been doing that for some time but never got a call about it, and said thanks. He was probably shocked it wasn't a complaint about it.

;)

Welcome Aboard, TeacherSmurf. I currently hail from the State of Jefferson.

Brutus Out
Just so you know we welcomed Teacher smurf weeks ago but someone brought this thread back up properly because it was a awsom first day thread lol go back and read it from the beginning

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top