JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am 73 and my hearing for conversations without background noise is just fine, but background noise and distant sounds are a problem. The audiologist recommended a range of hearing aids from $600 without a background aid filter to complex state of the art for $1600 a pair. Costco has their top of the line at $1800.00. Amazon has products cheap and up to $250.--for a pair. Any suggestions? I'd like to hear better when I am out in the woods and hearing distant sounds. I would like to filter out background noise when I am socializing in public. Some require regular batterys while others are rechargable. Ideas? Thanks.

My hearing was damaged when I was a young shooter. Thx.

go with your audiologists' recommendation.

Do not buy the cheap chinese crap on Amazon.
This.
Phonak and Signia( formerly Siemens) are two very good hearing aid brands. Unitron (not the 1990s Lego Space line mind you :s0140: ) is also decent. All three brands have been around for decades.

Edit. If you have Medicare/Medicaid or OHP insurance, you may be able to get them to cover the cost of one pair of hearing aids for at least 5 years, and the cost of ear molds?

This.
Phonak and Signia( formerly Siemens) are two very good hearing aid brands. Unitron (not the 1990s Lego Space line mind you :s0140: ) is also decent. All three brands have been around for decades.

Edit. If you have Medicare/Medicaid or OHP insurance, you may be able to get them to cover the cost of one pair of hearing aids for at least 5 years, and the cost of ear molds?
Thanks for the info. I did not know about ear molds. thx

Thanks for the info. I did not know about ear molds. thx
There's 2 options for ear molds. 1 is dome, basically universal, its whats used for ear buds, radios, and so forth. Decent, but may not be that secure (easily pulled out or fall out), and may have more feedback. Cheaper too. Then there's custom earmolds. Basically its molded to fit exactly your ears and no one else's. Less likely to fall out or be easily pulled. Better sound IMO as it allows only the hearing aid's sounds to go through. More expensive because you gotta have audiologist to do the fitting.

There's also the Ear Canal hearing aid, its the classic thing that sticks into your ears.
Most newer hearing aids are of the Behind the ear type which allows them to get more features like Bluetooth connectivity (useful for music and tv!); and some can be programmed to utilize a "T-coil" frequency which classic analog phones and old headphones uses. Also can be used with induction loop systems

What are you using?
Right now, nothing. Used to use a 30+year old Unitrom BTE, and a 15 year old Siemens digital BTE. Kid has a pair of Phonak digitals but due to her particular deafness, they aren't of enough benefit for her. Thinking about asking our audiologist to reprogram hers to fit my needs if possible. I have profound-severe loss, with a threshhold of 90-100 decibels.

Right now, nothing. Used to use a 30+year old Unitrom BTE, and a 15 year old Siemens digital BTE. Kid has a pair of Phonak digitals but due to her particular deafness, they aren't of enough benefit for her. Thinking about asking our audiologist to reprogram hers to fit my needs if possible. I have profound-severe loss, with a threshhold of 90-100 decibels.
So sorry!

I have a pair of 3000 dollar Resound lynx quatro's In my ears and while nice they cannot eliminate background noise. They are tuned to my hearing loss but they are no miracle. I can hear crickets again, and can understand speech better but in noisy environments you hear everything. I can custom tune them for different places but in the end I don't wear them at home as my home is loud. Once outside or in the car I'm fine. Just cannot wear them in the house.

I have decent hearing but cannot understand speech or certain tones. Turning up the volume on the tv just pisses me off with loud noise I cannot understand. I can tune mine to hear in noisy places but I hear everything, even the mouse chewing cheese across the room. You have to focus on who you want to hear and stay with them.

I wear mine everyday and really do need them to help me hear over the tinnitus and tone deaf sounds. Best bet to get someone to fit them for your needs.

my dad went to miracle ear, they sold him a set of hearing aids when he only needed one {one ear is dead, no hearing} $8000 for the set and he has had nothing but trouble with them. the only thing that works is the tv adapter, a transmitter that hooks up to the tv and sends a signal directly to the aid. other than that it was a waste of time and money.

Any recommendations for more recent hearing aids in the last year with product development? Ear buds or behind the ear types? I had learned that the drug stores were selling aids? My hearing loss is mild but hearing is difficult with background noise. I do ride a motor cycle as well. Ideas for more recent products? Thx.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top