JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
HB-1840 - Concerning firearms laws for persons subject to no-contact orders, protection orders, and restraining orders.

Revived gun-control bill approved 97-0 in state House:
[FONT=&quot]Revived gun-control bill approved 97-0 in state House | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times[/FONT]

All should take a very close look at this bill and consider the possible abuses and unintended consequences.

It's very fast and easy to have your voice heard on any proposed legislation.

Go to the legislative web site associated with the proposed bill:
HB 1840 - 2013-14

Take a few minutes to scan through the bill:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1840-S.E.pdf

Contact your representatives by clicking on the "Comment on this bill" button;. You can write up to 1,000 characters; that's only 10 to 12 lines so you have to keep it short and to the point.
https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/1840

"We the People" must be willing to get engaged in the political process or we will most definitely continue to lose our rights and freedoms.

Requiring a "credible threat" is good, but some police chiefs will probably classify all protection orders that way to avoid liability. It merely takes a few shootings and lawsuits for this to become commonplace. (Imagine, "Shooter left armed by city despite protective order")

Not related, but recently I did a background check on someone and discovered he had had a restraining order (eventually dismissed) filed by a vindictive girlfriend. Then I read up on this and discovered how trivial it is for essentially anyone (especially women) to file one of these. Yikes!

This bill would create criminals where none exist today. If you want to see the effect of that, google "California APPS program" where newly minted criminals (through legislative action) and very old offenses are being used to forcibly remove firearms from otherwise lawful owners - with a SWAT-like team.

Also, the use of the TRO as a lever in divorce proceedings disgusts me. I can see a lot of people losing their firearms because of vindictive actions of an ex- or soon to be ex-partner. TRO's are granted at the drop of a hat. Even though this bill has a small amount of protection, all someone has to do is do a little grandstanding and an "imminent" threat will be declared.

Years ago I tired to file a complaint and get a RO against my ex-wife as she kept constantly calling and harassing me, the cop just laughed in my face... I kid you not.
You just need to go to the Courthouse and file it, police have nothing to do with filing one.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

This is being heard by the Senate law and Justice Committee on February 26th. Use the links given in the original post and let your voices be heard. Many individual voices become a very powerful unified voice. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Doing nothing is the same as agreeing with it. Get involved and do something.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top