JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My JRA Bula M14:

875E6844-3975-4AEF-8722-C6C118ABBB2E.jpeg 007CC689-0804-4C0A-8C36-483F1B65BB5B.jpeg

Nice.

Now I'm trying to justify the walnut stock models price over fiberglass. I had one years ago with the black stock and it was a pretty good stock, but there's just something about wood and steel.
The difference is around +$300. or so.
I looked into Treeline stocks and if I start with a good M14 stock and then refinish it, it's almost the same money. So if I go wood, I'll buy that model and save my labor time for shooting it.

Thoughts?

Last Edited:
I don't know what the difference is between the wood stock and the polymer stock.
I bought my Springfield M1A1 Socom.
Because it was on sale.
I wanted a 22 inch barrel .
Lol I will get one now sooner or later .
Even though I have only put about 150 rounds through my gun .
I love it lol my new favorite gun .
And I have a few AR15 . 7211.jpeg IMG_20180922_111012.jpg

Yes early SA receiver. Heavy Douglas barrel, unitized NM gas system, devcon bedded
and NM sights. Every NM modification that is legal for "Service Rifle" class for Highpower
rifle competition.

The 18" Scout and 16.25" Socom length M14s are great, I prefer the 18" variants because it's easier & cheaper to swap muzzle devices & front sights. The two share the exact same gas system, but the Socom uses a proprietary gas lock front sight base / comp-brake combo. Both of the shorter barrels are accurate. I've owned 3 different 18" builds in the past... today the only shorty I own is a CQB-16 type SEI that I put into a Blackfeather RS. It has the Smith Enterprise Socom gas lock front sight base, a DC Vortex flash hider and an extra volume gas plug. IMG_7196.JPG

Nice.

Now I'm trying to justify the walnut stock models price over fiberglass. I had one years ago with the black stock and it was a pretty good stock, but there's just something about wood and steel.
The difference is around +$300. or so.
I looked into Treeline stocks and if I start with a good M14 stock and then refinish it, it's almost the same money. So if I go wood, I'll buy that model and save my labor time for shooting it.

Thoughts?

I have JRA that has a walnut hand guard but I replaced with a with a fiberglass hand guard instead. When I did my first 20 round mag dump I thought the walnut hand guard was burning since was a lot of smoke. When I pulled the hand guard off I did not see any sign of it the hand guard burning.

Handguard, Fiberglass-Reinforced, New, Fulton Armory, With Retaining Clip Installed

Later I ordered a real M14 hand guard from Treeline M14. Have not put the hand guard on yet but it looks great.

985EF456-E886-4403-B5ED-D41E4E4CDD6C.jpeg 31832CFC-1663-45D8-AE21-D0190617E72D.jpeg

Last Edited:
Yes they do. They were offering a Kryptek SOCOM and today I see they're selling the standard model for $1199.

I've been shopping and so far the best Scout deal I've seen was at Bud's @ $1199. with the distressed flag stock.
Brownell's has SA factory walnut stocks for $229. so figure around $1450. give or take for the same end result and a spare stock compared to the $1550.-$1600. average price with the walnut already on there, so it seems to be the way to go so far.

Last Edited:
So are USGI parts available today to build on a forged recv'r yourself?
Things have sure changed since I built mine in 1999.
I don't recognize many of the companies today.

Bula Defense makes forged receiver & bolt rifles and barreled actions (check out their website). They also sell James Armory their receivers and other parts. I have a like new GI complete bolt. You are right, GI parts are not cheap like the '80s but nothing is. You can pick up EX+ GI walnut stocks for $160 w/ a like new buttplate from Treeline Enterprises (formerly Fred's). That is a great buy, I bought 2 recently.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top