JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Even with State run liquor stores, people would buy their food with the State Debit Card and then run by the liquor store for their booze. Now they can one stop shop and save some gas!! It is ecologically sound!! :D

Guns get attacked all the time what about all the people alcohol kills?

I'm glad you asked. Alcohol has always been a good way for governments to pacify the unwashed masses. Sure, some people will die due to its use, but not enough to warrant prohibition and lose its revenue and appeasing effect on the populace. As long as we have our Big Macs, Starbucks, and booze, we will keep plodding along like the servile and productive peasants our overlords desire. We have already had prohibition in this nation and it did not work. I don't want to imagine how much worse it would be if it were to happen again. Violence is already on the rise as people become more desperate in these economic times. Were there to be no alcohol, rioting would surely ensue.

Firearms, however, are demonized as dangerous, and dangerous they are. But the danger here is not to the individual; rather the corrupt government who would seek to prevent personal ownership. As has been said before, armed people are citizens, while the unarmed become subjects.

Though I see your point, there really is no direct comparison between the two and their usefulness to our government. Perhaps if firearms were more of a significant source of revenue to the government, we wouldn't worry about having to defend our RIGHT to have them. Then again, I wouldn't want to give them any ideas.

See, you're not the only one who can rant....... ;)

Alcohol is a drug in my book and i liked it better when the drugs were sold out of a drug house. Now while at safeway i can watch all the people who turn to alcohol to comfort them buy whatever it is they need to get through life. Cool we can see who pays for there food with food stamps and then pays cash for booze . Im glad for the tax and hope it goes up. Guns get attacked all the time what about all the people alcohol kills . way to go washington . sorry i had to rant

But since you have an open mind and know that its none of your business how people pursure their happiness. It shouldn't bother you at all. Think of it like your the person who doesn't understand why anyone would NEED a semi automatic rifle with a HUGE magazine. And those who have a drink when they want as the people who like them.

And maybe you'll understand.

Someone mentioned more employees in the store to cover liquor sales? Yeah right,

Yeah that was me. I did not say it would happen but that is what should happen. I have the worries that you mention and thought of them when the bill was proposed. But all the local store around me have a separated liquor area with dedicated employees in them. So that should solve some of those problems. The state can not stop thieves any better then a private company.

Prices may have gone up but so will the variety of liquors.... we will not longer have the same stuff at EVERY state liquor store. Hopefully the competition between stores will drive the prices down in the future. So far, the prices are a slightly cheaper at Costco than they were before at the state stores.

The albertsons by me had very limited selection, not sure if/how these big box stores will be carrying the smaller, less known brands. If they cannot move it by the case per day, they are not gonna carry it.

I am still hoping the the prices long term will come back down or go lower than before, but I fear variety is a thing of the past..

The albertsons by me had very limited selection, not sure if/how these big box stores will be carrying the smaller, less known brands. If they cannot move it by the case per day, they are not gonna carry it.

They won't and they shouldn't. Just like you go don't go to a department store for specialty guns, you don't go to a supermarket for specialty liquor. The supermarkets will offer day to day convenience on the popular brands while specialty shops like BevMo that stock more sizes and more boutique brands will be coming very soon. Each retailer is going to offer something different to satisfy different customers. That's free enterprise.

They won't and they shouldn't. Just like you go don't go to a department store for specialty guns, you don't go to a supermarket for specialty liquor. The supermarkets will offer day to day convenience on the popular brands while specialty shops like BevMo that stock more sizes and more boutique brands will be coming very soon. Each retailer is going to offer something different to satisfy different customers. That's free enterprise.

Never heard of BevMo? and I thought this new deal required a store to be over a certain size to be allowed to carry liquor (again costco bought this and there was a size stipulation)? I recall in the media build up that the law was specifically set-up to deny the mom and pop and convenience stores (78-11, am/pm etc) the ability to sell hard liquor due to size.

I can't see a "liquor only" store being big enough to satisfy the requirement?

Well hard to drop the price when the price increase was all in taxes. The state didnt get out of the liquor business, they just changed how they get money from it and how much they get.

Yes the is/was a 10,000 sqf limitation but they have already found a way around that. One of them is that a couple private companies bought out the state liquor and some of the private owned stores. The new owners are now allowed to "move" that location wherever they want. I know one of our local guys that owns a couple service stations bought one of the local stores. In 3 months he will have liquor in his gas stations......

OMG... a see a new chain-store coming... LIQUOR WORLD!!! Imagine 30,000+ sq. ft. of liquid fire n' gold!!

They could even offer a room for card games out back... I can see the slogan now, "liquor in the front, and poker in the rear!" :s0155:

I'm glad you asked. Alcohol has always been a good way for governments to pacify the unwashed masses. Sure, some people will die due to its use, but not enough to warrant prohibition and lose its revenue and appeasing effect on the populace. As long as we have our Big Macs, Starbucks, and booze, we will keep plodding along like the servile and productive peasants our overlords desire. We have already had prohibition in this nation and it did not work. I don't want to imagine how much worse it would be if it were to happen again. Violence is already on the rise as people become more desperate in these economic times. Were there to be no alcohol, rioting would surely ensue.

Firearms, however, are demonized as dangerous, and dangerous they are. But the danger here is not to the individual; rather the corrupt government who would seek to prevent personal ownership. As has been said before, armed people are citizens, while the unarmed become subjects.

Though I see your point, there really is no direct comparison between the two and their usefulness to our government. Perhaps if firearms were more of a significant source of revenue to the government, we wouldn't worry about having to defend our RIGHT to have them. Then again, I wouldn't want to give them any ideas.

See, you're not the only one who can rant....... ;)
But bullets taste horrible and the buzz is painful.:s0155:

OMG... a see a new chain-store coming... LIQUOR WORLD!!! Imagine 30,000+ sq. ft. of liquid fire n' gold!!

They could even offer a room for card games out back... I can see the slogan now, "liquor in the front, and poker in the rear!" :s0155:

Someone had to do it!

Touche, TOUCHE!

Mike

Never heard of BevMo? and I thought this new deal required a store to be over a certain size

Don't worry, Stomper is on the right track. From Wikipedia:
"BevMo! is a privately held corporation based in Concord, California, selling mainly alcoholic beverages...3000 types of wines, 1500 types of spirits, and 1200 types of beers...expanding into other states, and that the ideal store would be 10,000-square-feet."

I'm sure Costco isn't complaining, but the intent (that I don't agree with) was to pacify the same nannies that want to take your guns. In this case they perceive that "mom and pop" convenient stores make it too easy for underage kids and bums to gain access to liquor. To convert from MADD to MAIG simply replace "convenient stores" with "gun shops" and "bums" with "criminals".

bevmo, bens, etc etc. they will come to washington soon. first they have to wait until they can use their distributors who sell to them for much less. second it is the state that is inflating your liquor prices still but after a year that will change. third why is it that if it isn't your cup of tea you don't see it as a personnal right of others. fourth i wonder if i buy liquor at costco i have to pay state sales tax since i live in oregon.

the real drawback and nobody seems aware or maybe washington is different than oregon. since the state liquor stores are priced the same no matter where they are. so if you lived in a small out of the way rural area your liquor price was the same as if you live in the big city. i have to assume that will change.

bevmo, bens, etc etc. they will come to washington soon. first they have to wait until they can use their distributors who sell to them for much less. second it is the state that is inflating your liquor prices still but after a year that will change. third why is it that if it isn't your cup of tea you don't see it as a personnal right of others. fourth i wonder if i buy liquor at costco i have to pay state sales tax since i live in oregon.

the real drawback and nobody seems aware or maybe washington is different than oregon. since the state liquor stores are priced the same no matter where they are. so if you lived in a small out of the way rural area your liquor price was the same as if you live in the big city. i have to assume that will change.

+100

We voted for it and my gal is headed to Fred Meyers today to buy McNaughtons whiskey.. she says it's a LOT cheaper than at the prohibition era state run stores. The "it's going to cost more!" crowd are the antis, pro government micromanagement types. If you temporarily see price gouging on some premium boozes, avoid those stores and PRICE shop, it will quickly stabilize. It seems some people haven't heard of COMPETITION

Another great feature of this relative FREEDOM is that you can buy your booze 24/7 now, not at the dictated whims of the state. Having a party and need a bottle of something you forgot? Go at 12 PM to the supermarket and pick it up. Work wierd hours and you're out of your favorite? No problem now

Freedom, it's for We the People. Statists can go to #@!!

Congratulations Washington!! I know it is a shorter drive to Wa than Ca, and quite possible I'll have a better selection than here in Or, too!!

Someone explain to me what the State Government is doing running a retail business anyway!

Prohibition era law, 70 years overdue to be overturned

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews