JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not bad considering his political stance and circle of friends. Has anyone been to gun classes or gun shows in Boulder? His description of the people he encountered seems a bit over the top. The rest of the article is closer to neutral, but his conclusions on mandatory training near the end of the story puzzle me. All throughout the article he talks about how intuition lead him one way and then facts proved otherwise. Yet he fails to apply this to his feelings about training. Where are the numbers for concealed carriers shooting innocent third parties? We are something like 6 times less likely to do so than law enforcement. I wonder if that data was available in August of 2010. Still overall a pretty good article, and way less biased than the stuff some of our more exuberant advocates might write.

My good reasons to carry can be found in that nearly forgotten old document that founded the Republic. We shouldn't have to convince officials of anything

As Navman says, " interesting points". Never been to a gun safety class like the author describes. It was very well written but I disagree with some of his conclusions, even his basic thoughts/ feelings. I find it no hardship to relinquish "condition white" at all! I would be uncomfortable to be away from home in that condition! Just one of my own nit-picks. Thanks for the post!

PS: I thought it was pretty balanced for the liberal stance they adhere to!

Last Edited:
I don't think any of us can assume we are ever in "Condition White" and seldom in "Condition Yellow."
Even in you own home, in this day-and-age you are at the upper end of Condition Yellow.
Sad fact but true . . .

Sheldon

Without reading the article, Id just like to note that I very much enjoy the feel of a very old (worn in) revolver or 1911. The feel of steel thats been cared for but used often gives off a feeling of assurance.. Or something to that respect. Ok, Ill go read the article now.

There are a few parts I just didn't connect with, kinda like whistling while walking past a graveyard..

I got my first conceal carry in 1971, for me, it's like wearing a wallet, don't give it a 2nd thought unless it's not there, then I would move likely move up to "yellow" because I am unable to defend myself and my loved ones.

"In Flagstaff I was planning to meet a friend for a beer, and although carrying in a bar is legal in Arizona, drinking in a bar while armed is not. I locked my gun in the car. Walking the few blocks to the bar, I realized how different I felt: lighter, dreamier, conscious of how the afternoon light slanted against Flagstaff's old buildings. I found myself, as I walked, composing lines of prose. I was lapsing into Condition White, and loving it."

May be that he was never a good candidate for conceal carry in the first place?

^^^^ Exactly! The author seems much too sensetive to be a potential killer, while at the same time dosent really recognize danger. If I were going to a bar unarmed (never happen) I'd be twitching like a tweaker with an unscratchable itch!

I don't have any problem completly relaxing at home, but that's because I have taken precautions. If someone wants to kick in my doors he'd better be Godzilla! If Godzilla gets in he has to face a giant, hostile dog and I'm always armed. I think it's important to have a safe place to decompress!

I don't think there is anyplace we can go to "Condition White" any longer.
Even at home you need to be at least "Condition Yellow" and prepared for immediate action!!

Sheldon

Even at home you need to be at least "Condition Yellow" and prepared for immediate action!!
You have to sleep. You want to make whoopee.

If I had to be in condition orange (what a ridiculous system. Overrated, overused, but it's a good way to spot the new guy.) where I lived, I'd move.

Living that way is exhausting. It's why troops come back from combat zones exhausted, even if they never came under fire. Not because they spent their entire tour in condition orange, but because they spent a much larger portion of their time in condition orange than you do.

You don't live that way, no one in the U.S. does.

And no one, not even troops in combat, lives in condition orange constantly.

Everyone lapses into condition white.

I understand and respect what you are saying Jammer, maybe it's just me. but I can go into condition "White" knowing I can ramp it up if need be, That to me is peace of mind.

If I had to be in condition orange (what a ridiculous system. Overrated, overused, but it's a good way to spot the new guy.) where I lived, I'd move.

Living that way is exhausting. It's why troops come back from combat zones exhausted, even if they never came under fire. Not because they spent their entire tour in condition orange, but because they spent a much larger portion of their time in condition orange than you do.

When making whoopie Rotties stand guard and a 40 and a 12 GA stand hard by, there is no contradiction excepting your inability

I take the condition stuff a little less seriously than some. I'm more aware of my surroundings since I've read up on personal security but I don't often actively scan for suspicious characters. I don't see how being armed or not has anything to do with being alert, and I don't feel different when I stash the heater to visit a Post Office or bar. When I'm unarmed about the only difference is my belt is on a different notch.

Sheldon
Even in my bathrobe at home I have a .380 in the pocket. If dressed I have a .45 with me (even working in the yard) except were against the law.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top