JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now I like bacon , but Ham is not really worth all the trouble and cost.

I started looking for a viable communication system for when things go South in an emergency. Yes I bought a nice portable to get familiar with.
Now I'll put on my flak jacket for this, here's my opinion!

1. A portable is basically worthless
2. It can not be used for anything work related, which means I had to purchase other commercial radios and licensing.
3. You need a license to operate , really ? We already have way too much government.
4. Very limited range to use when at the entry level portables.
5. Most of the time the air waves seem empty, do people actually use Ham ?
6. In a major emergency, is the information I'm getting going to be any better or different than on the local am ?
7. Are these frequencies going to be overridden and blocked during SHTF ?
8. My name and address is on another government list :eek::rolleyes:o_O
9. More than likely repeaters will be down with everything else.
10. Glorified CB ?

11. Ham is a nice hobby.

Last Edited:
Depends on your intended purpose.

-non licensed here, so we do not hit the transmit - so grain o salt opinion.

Handhelds would be super handy for local communication, ie family & friends. Obviously depending on your locale. One can hit the transmit in an emergency unlicensed. Mind you, that's not "I need some soda & cookies", it's for an emergency.

As for repeaters going down? Sure. However depending on the scope & type of SHTF, they are also prioritized to be brought back online. Now, prioritized for emergency services, initially, but prioritized non-the-less.

Non-emergency services related repeaters? Well HAMS take there communications very very seriously, so I would wager most have thought out ways to keep them up which you or I haven't thought on.

Let's equate this to firearms in keeping with spirit and intent!
1. A cheepie is basically useless!
2. Unless LE or brinks guard can't be used for anthing work related.
3. Some states require a privilege card to purchase or (wait for it) to carry!
4. Limited range.
5. Most of the time citizens do not CC or OC so you never see them!
6. In an emergency citizens can't have them!

Thanks i see the similarities!:rolleyes:

Now like firearms, Ham equipment is purchased for a specific purpose:
1. Emergency communication between loved ones and authorities during natural & man-made emergencies.
2. Communication between hunters, hikers, those outdoor type folk (read prepers) oh and authorities.
3. Challenges of talking to others around this nation and the world and the satisfaction of meeting those challenges!
4. Cuz it is there and citizens want to engage in it.

Your gun collection is contingent on $$$$ and time based on your belief of purpose, e.g., self defence, prep', or cuz I wanta!

Same with the hobby of Ham Radio!

Oh, since your radio purpose is prep, do yo keep it in an olde grounded microwave to preclude EMP from destroying it before you use it?:oops:

BTW the pig is my superhero cuz it can eat garbage and still makes bacon!

I'm a licensed ham, so is my 14 year old daughter. Prior to getting my license, I had bought a simple and cheap BaoFeng handheld. Not to transmit but to listen. My thinking was, if/when SHTF, I wanted to be able to get solid info from the local agencies who do search and rescue and emergency communications. All of their frequencies are available online. Shortly after I got my license.
As far as transmitting range, the handheld radios are limited but you can always connect them to a better antenna if need be. If you are close to a repeater then you can obviously transmit much further. But that's only
good if you have someone to talk to on the other end.
The most valuable tool in a disaster is information. If you want short range communication and don't want to take the exam (which is easy), then get a CB or some GMRS radios(you can get licensed online for GMRS).
Though, having even a cheap ham HT can get you valuable info should a disaster hit. According to FCC rules And regulations, in the event of an emergency anyone can transmit even though not licensed.

@Doublesunder if you're "meh" on it then you might revisit if/when the FCC changes the regulations for GMRS. It would appear that:
  • The FCC would continue to allow one to acquire a paid license for one's family. No test required.
  • One would be able to use higher power levels for transmission, which will help somewhat with range and would certainly be helped by a GMRS repeater offering a higher power level for transmitting out.
  • New GMRS radios might appear on the market. TBD on features and programmability. One might be able to legally use their ham-type radio too. I don't know, wait for the revised regulations to be approved and made public.
Apparently, changes to the GMRS-related regulations have been drafted, are going through the process in the FCC, and might become approved by this Summer.

Used Ham, when it was the best long distance communications at a time it was cheaper to have a radio then making long distance calls. It also depends where you are trying to pickup and send from? I had a small unit and was able to talk within the local surrounding states which late night was clear as any cell phone service today. Their are alternatives now days CB's are not one I would consider anymore unless you run SSB, as not many people invest in CB's with that option. But in SHTF CB would be to easily monitored. Was fun sure it still is with all the gadgets they have nodays.

@Doublesunder if you're "meh" on it then you might revisit if/when the FCC changes the regulations for GMRS. It would appear that:
  • The FCC would continue to allow one to acquire a paid license for one's family. No test required.
  • One would be able to use higher power levels for transmission, which will help somewhat with range and would certainly be helped by a GMRS repeater offering a higher power level for transmitting out.
  • New GMRS radios might appear on the market. TBD on features and programmability. One might be able to legally use their ham-type radio too. I don't know, wait for the revised regulations to be approved and made public.
Apparently, changes to the GMRS-related regulations have been drafted, are going through the process in the FCC, and might become approved by this Summer.
Midland recently came out with their 40 watt micro mobile. It does some serious broadcasting. I have one in my vehicle along with my dual band. Also, the GMRS license is good for ten years now.

I like spiral cut ham with a nice glaze cooked into it:D. I don't know anyone I would talk to on a ham radio. If you don' personally know the operator you are talking to then you can' believe whats' being said. If I had family far from me then ham would be the answer but I don't have anyone that fits the need.

... I don't know anyone I would talk to on a ham radio. If you don' personally know the operator you are talking to then you can' believe whats' being said....

Ahhh, but it'd be just like how we gather news currently. Multiple sources & then weed thru the chaff...likely less chaff to weed thru, given the personality of "most" hams.

I've had my license for 3 years. I don't use it all that often but I do have radios in various places in case I need them.

I think it is a worthwhile tool to have in your survival tool chest. Not more important than beans, bullets and bandaids but could be quite useful in a crisis. I recommend ham radio to those that have other preps in order. On the plus side I do enjoy working HF on SSB, SSTV and digital modes.

If any of you people look back in history~~ when disaster hits what ever kind it is ,usually amateur radio is one of the FIRST to get communications back up and running. Way ahead of the local law/fema or any other agencies. They have several organizations [RACES/ARES ] that practice operating emergency communications on a regular basis. Almost all ham operators are set up to operate w/o power and can cover from short to unlimited distances.
A lot of the repeaters on the vhf/uhf bands work with solar power for back up.
With the radios I have in my P/U ~ I have the ability to talk any where/distance needed to get info from or to. So there is a place for ham radio in todays world despite having cell phone [which would be OVERLOADED] and worthless in a real emergency.
Just my .o2c

The Ham Radio Service is only as good as what an individual is willing to put into it. I think that let's the OP out. It's pretty clear he doesn't want to put anything into the Program, he just wants all the Bennie's.

Used Ham, when it was the best long distance communications at a time it was cheaper to have a radio then making long distance calls. It also depends where you are trying to pickup and send from? I had a small unit and was able to talk within the local surrounding states which late night was clear as any cell phone service today. Their are alternatives now days CB's are not one I would consider anymore unless you run SSB, as not many people invest in CB's with that option. But in SHTF CB would be to easily monitored. Was fun sure it still is with all the gadgets they have nodays.
Trouble is there ere thousands of old CBs around but not workable ~~ antenna broken or nonexistent and people have NO idea how to tune one

The Ham Radio Service is only as good as what an individual is willing to put into it. I think that let's the OP out. It's pretty clear he doesn't want to put anything into the Program, he just wants all the Bennie's.

I don't mind putting my time into something as long as the benefits outweigh the draw backs. Am I going to make it a hobby no. Would I put the necessary time in so it becomes a useful tool when needed yes.

Sounds good BUT it does take a little time to understand operating protocol so it doesn't mess up communications. Understanding frequencies/tones/offset and etc. does require a little time.
A good ham set up will cost you more then a good gun set up and both will be important in times of SHTF

Would I put the necessary time in so it becomes a useful tool when needed yes.
Well, the way I read you is that you are not willing to put the time in until after you figure you "might" need. Ham Radio doesn't work that way. You have to put the time in now and then you get the Bennies, if FHTF. Hams have been around for many moons and have been helping people during all types of things. SAR units have been helped during simple everyday Search operations. They have also helped out during times of flooding and other natural disasters. They don't wait around for the "Big One" that you seem to be waiting/hoping for!!! It just doesn't work that way.

Well, the way I read you is that you are not willing to put the time in until after you figure you "might" need. Ham Radio doesn't work that way. You have to put the time in now and then you get the Bennies, if FHTF. Hams have been around for many moons and have been helping people during all types of things. SAR units have been helped during simple everyday Search operations. They have also helped out during times of flooding and other natural disasters. They don't wait around for the "Big One" that you seem to be waiting/hoping for!!! It just doesn't work that way.

And I would say you would be presumptuous to know what I'm "Waiting or Hoping" for!!! Thanks for your input though, but you don't know me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top