JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Though I am not a big fan of cooler weather or holidays, I'll have to admit October has oft been a fun month. Times out in the woods, wrapping up winter preps, etc., but also Halloween season. In adulthood I've used it as a convenient excuse to binge watch horror films, read a novel in the same genre, and discuss said with friends or family. I am blessed that my beloved is also a connoisseur of the genre. We plan to watch through all the Universal horror films (Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, et al.) this year, as well as two 1980s classics; Lost Boys (1987) and Monster Squad (1987). (Having zombied out on Romero's work years ago, likely skip those this time around.)

Anyway, enough rambling; I am looking over which horror novel to read in October. I could choose one from the library, but I'm sort of in the mood for something new. And the latter would have to be acquired from Amazon or some such.

Any recommendations on that score?

Dracula - Bram Stoker
The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith
Let me in - Jon Ajvide Lindqvist
Something Wicked This Way Comes
And
The Halloween Tree ( Short easy read )
Both by Ray Bradbury
Andy

Thank you @Andy54Hawken. Most of those I have not read. I look them up. :D

Dracula (1897) is a perennial favorite. Read many times and made a great impression (to which @TeacherSmurf knows the extent).

Some October's whilst slammed for time, I've enjoyed reading Cycle of the Werewolf (1983) by Stephen King. Always fun.

I used to love Robert R. McCammon! This was one of my favorites by him!

OIP.jpg

Thank you @Andy54Hawken. Most of those I have not read. I look them up. :D

Dracula (1897) is a perennial favorite. Read many times and made a great impression (to which @TeacherSmurf knows the extent).

Some October's whilst slammed for time, I've enjoyed reading Cycle of the Werewolf (1983) by Stephen King. Always fun.

You are very welcome.
Dracula is also a favorite of mine...I have a copy with the so called "Lost Chapter" / prologue titled :
"Dracula's Guest".

Cycle of the Werewolf is a good read...I like King's early stuff...that said his 11/22/63 is a excellent newish book...time travel...though...not Halloweenish...:D
Andy

Thank you again @Andy54Hawken.

Regarding 11/22/63, this I will have to look up, as it sounds interesting.

As to Dracula, ah, yes, I too have read this deleted chapter. Of the 19th century English literature, I have liked Stoker's work very much. Many years ago I did a deep dive into his works, including tracking down rare copies, and more than one reprint from the United Kingdom.

vampiro.jpg

(The two that appear unmarked are Miss Betty and A Glimpse of America.)

:)

Thank you again @Andy54Hawken.

Regarding 11/22/63, this I will have to look up, as it sounds interesting.

As to Dracula, ah, yes, I too have read this deleted chapter. Of the 19th century English literature, I have liked Stoker's work very much. Many years ago I did a deep dive into his works, including tracking down rare copies, and more than one reprint from the United Kingdom.

View attachment 748009

(The two that appear unmarked are Miss Betty and A Glimpse of America.)

11/ 22 / 63
Is King's take on time travel , its effects and the Kennedy assassination.
It is most excellent.

I love to read as well...and have many books in my library...Just did some book trading the other day in fact....:D
Nice books you got there 'Gent...:D
Andy

I am blessed that my beloved is also a connoisseur of the genre. We plan to watch through all the Universal horror films (Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, et al.) this year, as well as two 1980s classics; Lost Boys (1987) and Monster Squad (1987). (Having zombied out on Romero's work years ago, likely skip those this time around.)

I remember on an early date you telling me of your love of Dracula. When I looked at you in shock, you got a "did I just mess up this date" look. Then I said "I love that movie" and started talking about it with you and your smile got bigger and bigger. :s0116:

A favorite for both of us. Although you would think with their names, the kids wouldn't like "Drac" from Hotel Transylvania so much. :oops:

I have enjoyed Cycle of the Werewolf as well.

Barbara Hambly revisited Those Who Hunt the Night and created some very enjoyable sequels.

I remember on an early date you telling me of your love of Dracula. When I looked at you in shock, you got a "did I just mess up this date" look. Then I said "I love that movie" and started talking about it with you and your smile got bigger and bigger. :s0116:

(Giggle) That interchange dimly rings a bell. Though, granted, that was over two decades. (I could make a reference to "oceans of time", but that is from the ghastly, in a bad way, as in cinematic crapola, Francis Ford Coppala film. Shudder.)

A favorite for both of us. Although you would think with their names, the kids wouldn't like "Drac" from Hotel Transylvania so much. :oops:

True, both names have a reference to characters in that work, though they have multiple means, as you well know. :s0116:[

Poking around my library I found one more :
Nevermore by Harold Schechter

David Crockett meets Edgar Allen Poe..and they get involved in a murder mystery.

In real life Poe was a book critic for the local newspaper...and when he reviewed Crockett's autobiography , he was less than impressed and said so in print.
This according to legend , lead to Crockett , heading off to meet with Poe and have some words....:eek: :D
Andy

Everything by HP Lovecraft is in the public domain. You can pick up the Kindle version of his complete works for about 3 bucks. If you need creepy critters, it doesn't get much better than Lovecraft. Kind of the godfather of horror fiction after Poe. Beware the Cthulhu.

Picked up a couple featuring classic monsters; werewolves and mummies. The former I have not, to the best of my recollection, ever read. The latter I did, but it was decades ago, so I forgot most of it.

Werewolf, there wolf.jpg

MummyDearest.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top