JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been trying to get back into fishing so I went trout hunting the past couple weekends up at Hagg Lake.

First on a warm and sunny Sunday I went out on the peninsula west of Tanner Creek and got skunked. Played with Rainbow powerbait, Salmon eggs, and the Hatchery formula "trout nuggets".

Yesterday I went out in the in afternoon right about the time the wind slowed down and turned into rain and fished from just east of the Sain Creek Picnic area. I was fishing with Powerbait only: garlic Chartreuse with sparkles was blank, red/white/blue (original flavor) did better and got a couple hits and pulled in a solid 10" rainbow that I threw back in on a whim.

Anybody have any advice for this lake?? What works, what spots?? I don't expect you to spill all the beans here... but point me in the right direction maybe??? :rolleyes:

Fishing near the boat ramp, with every one else! Those planters will stay in the area for a good while. The people that target hold-overs have boats and troll. Try using a half a worm on a size 6 hook with a marsh mallow with an 1/8-1/4 oz sinker, swivel and 12'-18' leader, that was always my favorite. Filling a clear bubble all the way with water, half a worm and let it sink to the bottom and real in start and stop or slowly.

Mike

Now this could be complete BS, but I saw this on Facebook today. This guy has been catching some of the larger fish lately up there. There are brood trout that have been stocked in Hagg Lake. This is one big axx trout. I live just across the ridge and go up there quite a bit.

The Sain Creek areas, and actually most of the creek outflow areas are fairly shallow water until you get out in the center of the channels of the creek. Where he is catching these based upon the timber and back ground is a bit deeper , most likely on the south side of the lake. You are going to have to hike a bit to those areas, but they are easy hikes. You can catch decent fish off the bank. Go up there in September to see the geography of the lake at low water, or look for some online topo maps.

Off the bank, I am going to use a medium size 8 foot rod and put a bobber on it with about 18 to 24 inches of leader with a night crawler or orange power bait on it. Sit back and drink a cold one and enjoy the scenery. From the southside, you can see the 1500 year old landslides on the south ridges of the hills.

The boat guys get them with the usual Fender arrays and night crawlers slowly trolled about 35 feet down.

I am not a big trout eater, I would probably just kick them all back, even that big one after a couple pictures. I am going to be getting a drift boat here soon, I have a couple of 6 year old grand sons that need to get catching trout.

I looked up a couple of topo maps, and have a pretty good idea this fish was caught on the north side of the lake close to the one inflow freshet. I would be looking to fish as close to the main body of the lake where the freshet areas expand out. There is a ton of feed coming down those creeks and the fish will gravitate to those.

The bass guys just knock them dead by the dam and along all the shores, even by the boat docks.

http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/sediment/projects/ReservoirSurveys/Reports/Henry Hagg Lake 2001 Survey.pdf

10671230_810954298939764_8570583931770949885_n.jpg

Last Edited:
Now this could be complete BS, but I saw this on Facebook today. This guy has been catching some of the larger fish lately up there. There are brood trout that have been stocked in Hagg Lake. This is one big axx trout. I live just across the ridge and go up there quite a bit.

The Sain Creek areas, and actually most of the creek outflow areas are fairly shallow water until you get out in the center of the channels of the creek. Where he is catching these based upon the timber and back ground is a bit deeper , most likely on the south side of the lake. You are going to have to hike a bit to those areas, but they are easy hikes. You can catch decent fish off the bank. Go up there in September to see the geography of the lake at low water, or look for some online topo maps.

Off the bank, I am going to use a medium size 8 foot rod and put a bobber on it with about 18 to 24 inches of leader with a night crawler or orange power bait on it. Sit back and drink a cold one and enjoy the scenery. From the southside, you can see the 1500 year old landslides on the south ridges of the hills.

The boat guys get them with the usual Fender arrays and night crawlers slowly trolled about 35 feet down.

I am not a big trout eater, I would probably just kick them all back, even that big one after a couple pictures. I am going to be getting a drift boat here soon, I have a couple of 6 year old grand sons that need to get catching trout.

I looked up a couple of topo maps, and have a pretty good idea this fish was caught on the north side of the lake close to the one inflow freshet. I would be looking to fish as close to the main body of the lake where the freshet areas expand out. There is a ton of feed coming down those creeks and the fish will gravitate to those.

The bass guys just knock them dead by the dam and along all the shores, even by the boat docks.

http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/sediment/projects/ReservoirSurveys/Reports/Henry Hagg Lake 2001 Survey.pdf

View attachment 220269

Amazing!!!
Fantastic layout, thank you!!! Catch you on the shore!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top