JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always had a curious fascination with top-break revolvers. I don't have a good reason why, despite some personal theories. Be that is it may, anyone have the experience with the H&R Defender in .38 S&W?* I have the chance to purchase a LNIB one for three C-notes and I'm tempted for no other reason than just because. Thanks friends. :)

* This curious little fellow.
1333233-IMG_9436.jpg

I've always had a curious fascination with top-break revolvers. I don't have a good reason why, despite some personal theories. Be that is it may, anyone have the experience with the H&R Defender in .38 S&W?* I have the chance to purchase a LNIB one for three C-notes and I'm tempted for no other reason than just because. Thanks friends. :)

1333233-IMG_9436.jpg
I see no good cause to NOT purchase said revolver... for no other reason than just because.

On the topic of top breaks, I've got my grandpa's old Iver Johnson cycleworks revolver, 5-shot, in .38 S&W. It has no firing pin, and has horrible cylinder wobble and thusly is unfirable, but still a family heirloom and fascinating little piece of history... which makes its tragic loss in a boating accident that much more disheartening... :oops:

Thanks @JeremyK. If for no other reason than enabling this crazy guy. Haha, I kid. Thank you for the note. :)

On the topic of top-breaks, just because, this little English friend came into our home in the snowy months.

bov1-jpg.jpg

I regret every Webley or Enfield I ever sold off. As with all matters, such things ebb and flow. Whatever the course may be, it is straight forward.

I was doing some more reading on these today. In the process, I came across this old advertisement.

8jpv2Ap.jpg

Anyone know why the Civil Defense logo is prominently displayed?

Sales / marketing, it was labeled as the "Defender" I suspect the ad was from the height of the cold war.

Thanks for the note. The notation that accompanied said the ad said it was produced during the World War II, but I can't confirm that is the case. I was curious if there was any official CD adoption as I have seen some Civil Defense marked firearms. But, as you mentioned, the most likely answer is clever marketing.

Thanks for the note. The notation that accompanied said the ad said it was produced during the World War II, but I can't confirm that is the case. I was curious if there was any official CD adoption as I have seen some Civil Defense marked firearms. But, as you mentioned, the most likely answer is clever marketing.

Quite likely the case. Don't know when this model went into production. Not bad guns just a bit of a challenge finding .38 S&W these days, did someone say it's reloading time?

From what I read they went into production in the early-1940s and were produced for some time. I don't shoot much .38 S&W, but keep a small supply on hand for the Enfield shown above. What I've done in the past is when ordering a bulk of other ammo, throwing in a box (or two) of .38 if the vendor offers said. For very low volume shooting, it works out.

View attachment 525297
I have one that was my uncles. He walked a beat in a small town in east Tennessee, back in the 1930s and 40s. All of the checkering is worn off of the hand grips and the finish was rough. I stripped it and refinished it and keep it for the sentimental value.

I was doing some more reading on these today. In the process, I came across this old advertisement.

View attachment 524785

Anyone know why the Civil Defense logo is prominently displayed?
Sorry for the necropost but... does this mean this gun is designed to shoot 38/200?

Usually this 38 S&W loading isn't recommended for non-English top-breaks.

But the 925 has a stornger latch than older H&R's

I have one that was my uncles. He walked a beat in a small town in east Tennessee, back in the 1930s and 40s. All of the checkering is worn off of the hand grips and the finish was rough. I stripped it and refinished it and keep it for the sentimental value.
Very cool family history. Thanks for sharing. :)
Sorry for the necropost but... does this mean this gun is designed to shoot 38/200?

Usually this 38 S&W loading isn't recommended for non-English top-breaks.

But the 925 has a stornger latch than older H&R's
Good question. The specs listed implies that from the second listing.

I never did buy that little revolver; passing fancy from long ago. But still seems a curious little rascal and the Civil Defense marketing neato.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top