JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lock is a fairly easy fix most of the time...Till Mr. Murphy steps in to "help out" ... :D

Take it apart and give it a good cleaning is helpful...as is a mainspring vise.
Be aware that many antique muzzle loading firearms do not have a half cock notch or setting....so...what can appear broken really ain't.

Many times it is simply a matter of replacing a worn spring , sear or tumbler.
The big issue here , is finding the proper sized replacement...that said...a little bit of file work or sanding can work here.

What seems to be the issue with your rifle...?
Andy

Thanks, Andy. It's a Springfield 1861 which I believe to be original, except for the lock and ramrod, which I believe are replacements. The gun does not hold half or full cock but I can feel the spring tension on the hammer when it's pulled back.

Ahh....
The '61 should hold at a half cock ....
A good lock cleaning...and a re-touching with a file on the hammer notch , sear or tumbler may do the trick here.
Sure wish we were closer...I have done this many times ( successfully :D ) .
As for the rear sight...I haven't replaced of re-attached one of those.....yet.
Andy

Ahh....
The '61 should hold at a half cock ....
A good lock cleaning...and a re-touching with a file on the hammer notch , sear or tumbler may do the trick here.
Sure wish we were closer...I have done this many times ( successfully :D ) .
As for the rear sight...I haven't replaced of re-attached one of those.....yet.
Andy
Would it be safe to remove the lock from the stock even if I can't keep the hammer cocked (hey, that rhymes!) If I could just take a peek inside there I think I could figure out what needs to be changed.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top