JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shooters, I would rather upgrade or modify existing equipment than purchase a new rifle, but I ask for recommendations for an Oregon gunsmith who can rebarrel an M98 variant (a Model 1909 Argentine Mauser) for target-shooting. I've had one disappointment, an eccentric chamber on a Remington M700 rebarrel; I'd like this job done correctly.

Big_Gunnut,
I'd like to rebarrel the DWM Mauser, an Argentine contract Model 1909 (currently chambered in 7.65x53mm Belgian Mauser, shortened from 29.1 inches to 24 inches) with a 24-inch, chrome moly barrel, about 0.80" at the muzzle, chambered for the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser and having a 1:8.5 or 1:9 rate of twist. I intend to use bullets weighing between 129 and 140 grains. My target distances are 200 and 300 yards.

The Remington Model 700BDL was rebarreled with a Shilen 24-inch CM barrel by Bolsa Gunsmithing, Huntington Beach, CA. On firing, the rifle (chambered for the .257 Roberts) grouped decently but the once-fired brass - when rolled on a flat surface - was clearly out-of-round, so I put the cases on a case concentricity gauge and the runout was pronounced, easily measurable. Back to the shop, and they said that it was possible that the lathe was misaligned, but they'd set the chamber back. To make a long story short (and a short story a headache), the job was botched. The rifle was nicely stocked and sold to a shooter who does not reload. He purchased it because it was an attractive rifle, but the details didn't matter to him.

SP101
Thank you for the recommendation. I will pursue all leads.
Ed

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads