JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I figure this is political- feel free to relocate if not.

I'm typically a laid back person, relaxed and direct to the point.

I know there have been a few gun shops who have came to bat for the peons like us when it has come down to SB941.

The two primary gun shops in the area where I live have both given me a similar line: "It will be the law and our $35 transfers will still be here".

So that essentially said "Screw You" and they are seeing this as a revenue stream for their business. I mean who WOULDN'T pass up a free $25 for putting a firearm on your books for a short time prior to doing the private party transfer....

Got me thinking: If they aren't here to support the ones who support them... Why am I doing business with them?

Both have given me the same answer, neither care so I will boycott their businesses.

BUT, BUT you say, what if I want a gun that Joe Schmo has? Answer: we will have to go to a gun shop that supported our rights.

What if.. what if... I want a new firearm? I'll order it online and have it shipped to the rifle range that I am a member at- oh and they are a FFL too. Simple, it's also cheaper there anyway. I will make it a point to cease business at those locations.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Who are the shops that support us peons and took a stand against the state bureaucrats? I'll make a list in this post if you want.

Gun shops that support the people:
  1. Place holder
  2. Place holder
  3. Etc
  4. Etc
Gun Shops that don't support the People:
  1. Place holder
  2. Place holder
  3. Etc
  4. Etc

Yep its going to get interesting. Gun sales are all ready down, shops will make any money they can to stay open. It's all money to most of them but there are a few good FFLS out there.

Guys going to get screwed is the one that buys and sells all the time. Learn to accumulate good guns that grow in value and these restrictions won't hurt so bad. The way this will end up is it will cost you more to sell a cheap gun than what it's worth. Who wants to pay the state and dealer $50 to sell a $100 gun? Better to sell it as parts, you will get more out of it.

Just use common sense and the law to work around the regulations while the recall is on. Businesses don't understand this law is coming after them and the left want them to fail. Tick off the buyers and the doors will close.

Dyjital, this is funny you should bring this up. For we live in the same city, and our city has only one gun shop. Since you did not name the shops you were talking about, maybe we both live in two different Corvallis's. When I was at "Our" local gun shop yesterday, I heard nothing that you talk about. I heard about all the problems with this bill, the problems it will cause, how it is gun registration, and how they were thinking about just denying any face to face transactions if it is possible shall the bill pass. So please tell me what this very small business is suppose to do other than rub you in the lower in order for you to stay a supposedly loyal customer?

Dyjital, this is funny you should bring this up. For we live in the same city, and our city has only one gun shop. Since you did not name the shops you were talking about, maybe we both live in two different Corvallis's. When I was at "Our" local gun shop yesterday, I heard nothing that you talk about. I heard about all the problems with this bill, the problems it will cause, how it is gun registration, and how they were thinking about just denying any face to face transactions if it is possible shall the bill pass. So please tell me what this very small business is suppose to do other than rub you in the lower in order for you to stay a supposedly loyal customer?

:)

Heard a lot of chatter from shops during the senate hearings, saw notes and messages along with letters written, especially from I believe it was NW Armory as the loudest. Did these other places send notices? Did they call?

I'm not easy to stimulate in either direction in the nether regions but the deafening silence that's been across the board speaks volumes.

Granted there is talk about the effects but who was proactive? I think that's the main thorn to me.

I could have edited location and kept it all under wraps but I'm actually speaking regarding the larger area (Philomath/Corvallis/Albany). I haven't spent enough time in all of them to assess but two of the eight-ish I have. I could venture our further and encompass Lebanon too but that's not in my normal travels.

Hope that answered the question.

It depends on the stores. I think there are a couple of Portland area stores that will look at this as a business opportunity, like the California "invited" gun-dealer, and raise there prices for a transfer accordingly. They deserve to be shunned.

Unfortunately, the other gun stores are not going to be able to do this for free. It may seem like only a few minutes for you or me, but the store has liability and ATF inspections to worry about. As well as taking time away from running the store or helping a customer who could be buying something from inventory.

A $25 fee is the low end, and in the long run they are probably loosing a little money in the hopes they earn a new customer. If transfers becomes more frequent for these stores, I'm guessing it might have to rise to the $35-45 range for them to break even.

I'd call it an unfunded mandate by the state on the citizens: if it is truly supposed to be for the general public benefit, and if the society wants it (if you are to believe the polls.....) then it should be adequately funded instead of pawning off the cost to the stores and citizens. After all, if all the headaches this bill will cause "to save just one life, its worth it", as the gun-control advocates say, shouldn't they also be willing to step up pay for it as well?

The states gets PO'd when the federal government hands unfunded mandates down. This is just the same thing at the local level.

Last Edited:
I disagree totally. Several gun shop owners testified at both Senate and House hearings. Most of the shops in the PDX area have been discussing if we will even conduct private transfers. Whenever someone gets delayed or a gun pops up stolen the customer ALWAYS blames the store. ESPECIALLY when OSP takes days, months, and years to respond or deal with the issue.

I find it hard to believe that gun shops would be in favor of this simply because they stand to pocket $10-25 for a background check. Doesn't seem too lucrative to me at all. It will drive up the foot traffic in the LGS which will upset a lot of people --- now the 15 minute wait for an employee to have time to show you XYZ gun now will be tied up for an additional 15 minutes...

I find it hard to believe that gun shops would be in favor of this simply because they stand to pocket $10-25 for a background check. Doesn't seem too lucrative to me at all. It will drive up the foot traffic in the LGS which will upset a lot of people --- now the 15 minute wait for an employee to have time to show you XYZ gun now will be tied up for an additional 15 minutes...

And don't forget, you're adding even more BGC's to an already burdened system. Which means wait times for responses will get longer, tying up more time at those locations. I ran into the owner of Rich's Gun Shop, a place I don't do business at myself, in February at the Clackamas County Commission meeting where he came to speak against any new gun laws. As I recall, he went to Salem to testify too - anyone confirm that?

I wonder, with the passage of I-594 in WA, are any FFL's up there getting rich off of all those lucrative transfer fees? I would think a few months into it, we would have some feedback on that. I'm guessing the answer is likely no.

Thanks guys.

Honestly the intent was to provoke reaction on this.

There are good shops who will say NO! we aren't doing these checks but there also will be ones that say sure; and turn around and charge excessive amounts.

We should make sure to keep in mind the ones who are slamming us (gun owners) and make their intent known to everyone.

Same coin, praise the standup ones as well.

I'd have to wonder about the additional PITA for gun shops when it comes to handling firearms brought in the door. Many now ask you to check any firearms that you will be handling during your time at the store. Looks like a potential for many more NDs.

I ran into the owner of Rich's Gun Shop, a place I don't do business at myself, in February at the Clackamas County Commission meeting where he came to speak against any new gun laws. As I recall, he went to Salem to testify too - anyone confirm that?
From the OFF alert on 4/23/15:
"We also want to thank Lee Richeson of Rich's Guns in Donald and Karl Durkheimer of NW Armory in Portland for representing gun dealers. Keep them in mind when you are shopping. These folks went to bat for gun owners based solely on their principles and commitment to our rights. Also providing excellent testimony was Joe Dula representing the Canby Rod and Gun Club. If more clubs and ranges took the stand that CRGC did, this battle would be far easier to win."

I worry when this very website is running ads IN FAVOR of SB 941!

image.jpg

From a different perspective, what if ALL gunshops said NO as a way of protest?

I think the gun shops that do not participate in private party background checks will be doing so more out of respect for there customers time that are purchasing firearms.

If it takes longer for a person to complete a purchase they could lose them as return customers to shops that only do sales.

Taking part in this could cost them money all the way around. Transfers are done more as a service not a money maker unless they are charging well over forty bucks.

It would seem to me gunshops stand to benefit if SB 941 passes. It will no doubt 'force' an increase in over the counter sales as many will decide it simply not worth the time and effort to arrange a FTF deal around the schedule of a FFL to get it transferred. There could also be a reverse effect with people being more selective in their purchases and choosing guns they plan to keep since the ability to sell it easily will be gone. Either way if it passes it will be interesting to see how the whole dynamic changes.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top