JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IF I do any private sales post SB941, I will likely use a home-based FFL I recently met. I asked him if his prices were likely to change post SB941, he said he had no plans to do so. I guess I'll have to see.

Just like OFF has been pressing the counties and sheriffs offices, getting a coalition of shops to say 'no' might be the aftermath way to deal with the bill. Yes, in the short run it could PO a few potential customers. But if no one can perform private-to-private transfers, that would make for a great court case that the state has setup a system that infringes on the 2nd amendment.

Were I a FFL, I would raise my prices for personal/personal transfers to $100 each.

In the end, we're paying for a right regardless if it's $1 or $1,000. On top of that, we are waiting for approval to exercise that right.

This isn't a RIGHT, it's a PRIVILEGE. This point needs to be argued in court, IMO.

I run a part time gun repair business in Monmouth OR. I have always charged $20 ($10 to OSP & $10 as a service charge). That will not change with this law. I have a limited amount of time to work with customers and taking that time out to do background checks is time I am not doing repairs. It takes about 30 minutes from the time someone arrives, fills out paperwork and OSP responds (on average). License FFLs have to be there when people need these services. We don't have to provide the service for free.

I wrote emails to many senators and reps about this issue. Not only did I voice my opposition for the bill in my own words, but I proposed alternatives.

Remember that when you debate the issue to be respectful. Be calm and don't attack people, attack the issue. Speak about this issue and deal in facts. We are on the correct side of the issue. This is a setback but don't forget the gains we have made as a nation over the last few years. We will get this fixed.....eventually.

Have a great day everyone.

Dean Armer
Independence Gunsmithing
Monmouth, OR

It would seem to me gunshops stand to benefit if SB 941 passes. It will no doubt 'force' an increase in over the counter sales as many will decide it simply not worth the time and effort to arrange a FTF deal around the schedule of a FFL to get it transferred. There could also be a reverse effect with people being more selective in their purchases and choosing guns they plan to keep since the ability to sell it easily will be gone. Either way if it passes it will be interesting to see how the whole dynamic changes.

Most of the guns I buy (when I cannot find the appropriate FTF deal) are bought online from out of state sources, and delivered to my FFL for transfer to me. I would greatly prefer that I was able to go straight to my dealer and buy the gun straight out of his display case. Unless I'm in the market for a plastic semi-auto or an AR, there's almost no chance that they will have in stock the types of guns that I normally buy. So over the counter sales may increase when folks are buying a run-of-the-mill Glock, but over-the-counter sales can never increase if a feller's trying to buy a collectible, rare, or scarce gun, or even (as an example) any of the small-run Ruger revolvers, as the dealers in this area cannot or have chosen to not stock the stuff that appeals to a more lucrative, knowledgeable or mature gun-buying clientele.

WAYNO.

if a feller's trying to buy a collectible, rare, or scarce gun,
a more lucrative, knowledgeable or mature gun-buying clientele.
I place myself in these categories and this is what is going to 'hurt' the most. I will probably eventually try an FFL FTF as a 'litmus' test and depending on how it goes will determine my future 'collectable' purchases - DAMN THEM!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top