Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

gun-kote?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by ThatOneGuy1231, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ThatOneGuy1231

ThatOneGuy1231 The great northwest Member

I was looking on brownells website at their gun-kote product for refinishing...

has anyone used this with good results?

Was wanting to do a couple of shotguns in a matte black.

2. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

I used it on a bolt gun. It turned out wonderful. So far it seem to be holding up well. The only spot wearing is where the bolt comes in contact. I accidently banged it against a few things and it didn't even leave a mark.

3. ThatOneGuy1231

how easy was application? did you use a spray gun or the cans?

4. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

i have kg-gunkoted a a Mossberg 500 and a mosin nagant. Go to harbor freight get a cheap model spray gun setup for 10.00 and use a compressor from a nailgun your good to go. i dont like the cans stuff from brownells.

5. ThatOneGuy1231

hmmm. I have an airbrush, but no compressor.... Whats wrong with the rattle cans?

6. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

I used the rattle can. It went on better then I expected. The parts were pre heated and so was the can. If there is a down side to the cans, I would say it is how small they are. There was just barely enough in the can to spray a barreled action of a bolt gun.

7. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

I have done a few guns with gunkote. I have used the rattle cans and a spray gun. The rattle cans are much more expensive.....6oz aerosol $32....8oz paint.....$17

:: KG Industries ::

I did get good results from both, but a spray gun will always out perform an aersol can, I used a touch up gun from home depot