JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had the urge to acquire a 1911 .45 pistol lately, so I've been checking models and features. So far, I like the Remington R1 for quality versus price, and general all around feel. I was in the Gun Broker - Clackamas a day or two ago, and they had a Remington R1 "Carry" model on the wall, which is a full sized, all steel gun. The guy behind the counter really didn't know what made it a "Carry" versus a "Standard" model, but one of the girls did (it's mainly that all the sharp corners are rounded off and the finish is a little shinier). What's bothering me is that they had this thing priced at $1100+. The Gun Broker's pricing has been pretty reasonable in the past, but that just blows me away. I see "Standard" R1's advertised other places for more like $600-$700. Is the "Carry" model really that much more expensive, or is this a case of their pricing being WAY off from their usual reasonable prices?

Check Buds guns,cheaper than dirt and gun broker (buy it now prices) online and then add in shipping and transfer fees.
Easiest way to see what the price should be close to

BTW I had the R1 and like the Ruger WAY better

The R1 Carry has tritium night sights, match barrel and has been dehorned. The MSRP is $1,299 vs. $789 for the standard R1. If you go on Davidson's Gallery of Guns the street price is about $1,100 for the Carry.

The R1 Carry has tritium night sights, match barrel and has been dehorned. The MSRP is $1,299 vs. $789 for the standard R1. If you go on Davidson's Gallery of Guns the street price is about $1,100 for the Carry.

Ah! OK, I was hoping that Gun Broker hadn't decided to start gouging. Good to know.

There is a tendency for the GunBroker sellers to have wishful thinking on gun values, but that's the marketplace. I mostly shop for used guns there. Dealers seldom have a bargain, unless they're used guns that they want to move. I was looking for a Colt Defender , all in the $950 + range, and then found one in Alabama on Armslist for $650 . Huge difference. A key to what they are selling for is use the advanced search feature on GunBroker, and the Completed Listings tab. There, you can find the sale price.
Brent

There is a tendency for the GunBroker sellers to have wishful thinking on gun values, but that's the marketplace. I mostly shop for used guns there. Dealers seldom have a bargain, unless they're used guns that they want to move. I was looking for a Colt Defender , all in the $950 + range, and then found one in Alabama on Armslist for $650 . Huge difference. A key to what they are selling for is use the advanced search feature on GunBroker, and the Completed Listings tab. There, you can find the sale price.
Brent

Brent - they are talking about an actual store front gun shop in the Portland area not the website. Still - good advice for price comparisons - check the website gunbroker and look at closed auctions that actually sold as you said.

Brent -
depending on what your guns of choice are either side of the river are great - OR caters to the full run of NFA items, WA you can now have and use suppressors and short barreled rifles. On the flip side OR requires classes for their CC permits where WA is shall issue provided you can legally own firearms and don't have any of the prohibiting events on your record (restraining orders, etc.). Tax wise WA doesn't have income tax but OR doesn't have sales tax. If you are retired living in SW WA might be the way to go - collect your retirement with no state tax on your income and hop across the river to the OR side for major purchases like TVs, stereos, etc. to avoid sales tax.

Sig, Rem, Rug all fine 1911's…I'll stick to my D.W.

I purchased a Springer 1911 A1 Loaded with a lot of upgrades from G.B. Tigard a few years ago for $595.00, slightly used. Next to it were others higher priced and not as good. 'Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you'.

I tried out a friends new Para 1911 Expert stainless the other day and was very impressed.
I really liked the fiber optic front sight. With my aging eyes, target acquisition was very smooth and fast.
The $725.00 price tag was another plus.

I tried out a friends new Para 1911 Expert stainless the other day and was very impressed.
I really liked the fiber optic front sight. With my aging eyes, target acquisition was very smooth and fast.
The $725.00 price tag was another plus.
I don't have a Para, but I DO put fiber optic front sights on any pistol that will take them. I have TruGlo TFO's on my P-6, HiViz FO front sights on my CZ-75, CZ-82, and Sig P938 . I agree that they are just great for rapid sight acquisition. I even think they'll work for YOUNG eyes ! :)

Brent -
depending on what your guns of choice are either side of the river are great - OR caters to the full run of NFA items, WA you can now have and use suppressors and short barreled rifles. On the flip side OR requires classes for their CC permits where WA is shall issue provided you can legally own firearms and don't have any of the prohibiting events on your record (restraining orders, etc.). Tax wise WA doesn't have income tax but OR doesn't have sales tax. If you are retired living in SW WA might be the way to go - collect your retirement with no state tax on your income and hop across the river to the OR side for major purchases like TVs, stereos, etc. to avoid sales tax.

Don't forget Washingtons handgun registration and delay in purchasing a handgun. OH and that pesky User Tax added to all firearms purchases that go through a FFL even for a transfer. Oregon just has a $10.00 instant BGC (yes it can take longer then an instant). The classes for CHL are a one time thing.

Sig, Rem, Rug all fine 1911's…I'll stick to my D.W.

I purchased a Springer 1911 A1 Loaded with a lot of upgrades from G.B. Tigard a few years ago for $595.00, slightly used. Next to it were others higher priced and not as good. 'Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you'.

DW makes really nice guns but they are no longer a "value" priced 1911.

Don't forget Washingtons handgun registration and delay in purchasing a handgun. OH and that pesky User Tax added to all firearms purchases that go through a FFL even for a transfer. Oregon just has a $10.00 instant BGC (yes it can take longer then an instant). The classes for CHL are a one time thing.
Interesting, here in Michigan we have a one time class and 4 hours range time for a CPL (concealed pistol license), and $105 to the state for 3 year license. It's well worth it , though , because it makes FTF handgun transfers quite simple, and relaxes by a huge degree the issues of transporting weapons to the range, etc. With a CPL you "self-register" handgun purchases with an online available form . Definitely better than NOT having a license. The "Shall Issue" law makes it easy to get with a clean record, but in some counties the prosecutors like to hold up the process. One of our neighboring DA's spent the weekend in jail for contempt of court, because of his "obstructionism" to new "Shall Issue" laws.
:)

Lived in Washington 40 of my 42 years and not sure what this handgun registration is you speak of. There is no "registration" in Washington of guns.

As a CCW holder I never once had to wait more than 10 minutes to walk out of a gun store with a handgun.

Yeah the "Use Tax" sucks but it's just an extension of the sales tax. Now as an Oregon resident I had the privilege of paying $1,600 to the State of Oregon for income tax, that's a lot of "Use Tax".

Lived in Washington 40 of my 42 years and not sure what this handgun registration is you speak of. There is no "registration" in Washington of guns.

As a CCW holder I never once had to wait more than 10 minutes to walk out of a gun store with a handgun.

Yeah the "Use Tax" sucks but it's just an extension of the sales tax. Now as an Oregon resident I had the privilege of paying $1,600 to the State of Oregon for income tax, that's a lot of "Use Tax".

When you buy a handgun in Washington a form is sent to the police and a record of your purchase is kept.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top