JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Geez. I think the days of the 30-30 are over for me for a brush gun. Look here:

Link to Remington slug

accu.jpg

Remington Premier® AccuTip Bonded Sabot Slug

Power Port™ Tip delivers dramatically superior accuracy

Spiral nose cuts and proprietary bonding technology control expansion at all ranges from 5 to 200 yards

Huge .58-caliber slug is the largest tipped slug available today

Over 95% weight retention – weighs more after impact than all the others start with!

Slug jacket made from high-strength cartridge brass

Designed for use in fully-rifled barrels only

Index No. Gauge...Shell Length........Slug Wt.......Velocity

PRA12........12......2 3/4"................385-gr.........1850
PRA12M......12......3".....................385-gr.........1900

The weight and the velocity combined is amazing. The retained energy must be off the charts. And then it expands...

I think I'll have to put cannon wheels and a pull chain on my shotgun. :)

I grew up in an area of brush and thick forest, but it was shotgun slug only. Even without the newer slugs, the 12 gauge slugs were devastating to brush, small trees, etc. With a 2.5x scope, I didn't even see them ...

A one inch hole through a whitetail was pretty effective, too. I rarely ever used more than one shot.

(Ithaca Model 37 "Deerslayer")

Bob

They are Rossi. The barrel is ported, and it has fibre-optic sights.

I've had REAL good luck with a couple of Rossi firearms. For a short shotgun just for my use, it will also double as a defensive arm. I'd want an extender available - at least a 7 + 1 mag capacity.

Andrew, those look like some killer slug guns! I wonder how the accuracy is on them.

OP- I've been quite intruiged with all these new slug rounds developed lately as well. Growing up in WI I lived in a shotgun/pistol only hunting area so a 12 ga. was my weapon of choice. It's a phenomenal deer gun! Now with the accuracy of these new rounds, and more importantly accuracy at 100-200 yards, it makes shotguns a real option in addition to rifles.

Take a look around Cabela's online catalog, there are 10 or so of these new design rounds available now.

Growing up in WI I lived in a shotgun/pistol only hunting area so a 12 ga. was my weapon of choice. It's a phenomenal deer gun! Now with the accuracy of these new rounds, and more importantly accuracy at 100-200 yards, it makes shotguns a real option in addition to rifles.

I thought the whole reason behind shotgun-only deer hunting areas was to limit the range people were shooting? If that's the case, I wonder if these areas will restrict use of these rounds?

Absolutely the reason. I'm not sure that these rounds would pose a problem unless they are shown to travel further. From what I would assume, they simply allow for better accuracy at ranges slugs are capable of going.

I thought the whole reason behind shotgun-only deer hunting areas was to limit the range people were shooting? If that's the case, I wonder if these areas will restrict use of these rounds?

you got it.

I used to hunt deer in MI with a Mossberg 500.

It was amazingly accurate through a smooth-bore with the Rottweil Brenneke slugs.

With these new Rekmington Accutip rounds, I would imaging rifle-type accuracy.

Is there a Shotgun-only season in OR/WA?

I checked on the price of the Accu-Tip stuff and it's like $13 per box of 5!!!

Holy Cow, that stuff is expensive!!!

Cheapskate. :D :D :D

1. How much is your life worth? 385gr @ 1900 fps with good expansion and weight retention? In the middle of the night if a BG is in my house, I'm not going to hesitate, saying "gee, to I want to waste this money? :D

If I'm brush hunting deer or elk, the cost of ammo is the cheap part. :s0155:

Just think of what a couple of those would do to an ice machine. :D :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews