JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you fry your grilled cheese with

• Total voters
I was telling my helper the other day about trying to make some grilled cheese and running out of mayonnaise...he failed to see how this could be a problem.

Apparently there are folks out there frying up their grilled cheeses with butter, and another person claims to use nothing at all :eek:.

So folks what do you use? Butter, mayo or something else?

Gracious!~ Twelve pages of this.... cabin fever is upon us.... That being said, being faced with an empty mayo jar should not be a problem for for anyone if they have a blender or even mixer. Mayo can be easily made with naught but an egg(s) depending on quantity you want, and your favorite oil. Dump egg in whipping device, set to motion, and **slowly* and oil until you get the consistency you like. Olive for health, canola for somewhat healthful and a more neutral flavor. whatever oil you've got on hand in an emergency. To make it like MW, add some pickle juice. That's about the only difference.

However, this stuff would be better inside the sando than as a frying medium. Try olive oil as a good sub for butter.

On the INSIDE, mustard! I grew up with Gulden's™.

This is a topic much like cooking eggs no one agrees .. My preferred grilled cheese is made with two cheese depending on my mood.

Often times it is Cheddar and with Gouda or when I am feeling fancy I will use some Gruyère and Gouda. I use primarily like to use butter in a cast iron skillet but if there is no butter than I use Olive Oil. The reason I use two cheese is that the Gouda melts beautifully and the other cheese provides the more distinct flavors I prefer.
Hey man, First rule in Grilled Cheese Club.... there are no rules! :s0168:

Gracious!~ Twelve pages of this.... cabin fever is upon us.... That being said, being faced with an empty mayo jar should not be a problem for for anyone if they have a blender or even mixer. Mayo can be easily made with naught but an egg(s) depending on quantity you want, and your favorite oil. Dump egg in whipping device, set to motion, and **slowly* and oil until you get the consistency you like. Olive for health, canola for somewhat healthful and a more neutral flavor. whatever oil you've got on hand in an emergency. To make it like MW, add some pickle juice. That's about the only difference.

However, this stuff would be better inside the sando than as a frying medium. Try olive oil as a good sub for butter.

On the INSIDE, mustard! I grew up with Gulden's™.

Doesn't that leave the mayo with raw egg if you don't cook it? Arent' we supposed to avoid eating raw egg? Say, let's bring back the original Orange Julius recipe!!!

My sister used to wash her hair with raw eggs and beer....then she turned 21 and figured out what you're actually supposed to do with the beer! :s0140:

...Re: Mayo: I think you're supposed to separate the yolk from the egg. Isn't it just whipped egg WHITES and a little oil?

Doesn't that leave the mayo with raw egg if you don't cook it? Arent' we supposed to avoid eating raw egg? Say, let's bring back the original Orange Julius recipe!!!

One of the interesting things about living in the USA is the generally irrational fear of food that is anything but fresh off the shelf and within "shelf date" at the stroke of midnight. I have a relate that will throw out a milk open or not, the day it reaches the shelf date. Same for anything else with a shelf date. Eggs, in much of the world, are stored in the shell unrefrigerated, and sitting in the sun at the marketplace. And yet, those populations seem to keep growing, and little birdies hatch... As to raw egg in mayo, that's why is says keep refrigerated after opening.

When I lived in Japan, a fairly standard working mans breakfast was a bowl of rice with a raw egg stirred in with a dash of soy sauce. In Europe, steak tartar (raw ground beef) is served with raw egg as a dip. And then there was rocky. I can personally attest to the rice with a raw egg as being a dandy thing to eat, and yet I live.

When I was going to college I did a lot of my shopping in dumpsters, and ate quite well. All the dairy was at or near shelf date. Once I found a small dumpster totally full of all sorts of dairy. I had my friends over for a dairy share party. There was a lot of yogurt included, and I never got to some of for more than a year. Still dandy.

According to the spurts, our present health crisis started in a wet market in China. Now those folks will eat anything and everything, and yet, they have a bigger population than any other country. So, if it smells rotten or is covered with some molds, yeah, don't eat it. Otherwise, it's mostly a matter of educating one's palate, OR, being hungry and desperate enough. Don't worry about raw egg yolk in your mayo, enjoy it!

I make an infused butter using one stick of butter softened a clove of garlic minced and a teaspoon of Johnny seasoning and mix well. Apply to bread and grate a little parmesan over the infused butter and grill. You're welcome!

The idea of using butter on the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich is to keep the bread from sticking to the pan and so it will toast, rather than burn.
Its like adding oil or some other kind of "substance" to help the food cook and keep if from sticking.
SO, if you mayo guys are adding butter to the pan BEFORE you cook the sandwich, you're actually doing the same thing as spreading butter directly on the bread. :s0140:
The Mayo does nothing other than separate under the heat.

Last Edited:
When I lived in Japan, a fairly standard working mans breakfast was a bowl of rice with a raw egg stirred in with a dash of soy sauce.
Tamago Gohan....O-I-SHI!!!
Whenever us kids had a tummy ache, out would come the thick clay pot and we'd get tamago gohan to help us feel better.
Great breakfast/lunch/dinner choice after you've been working outside on a cold, wet day. :s0155:
As for the rest of your comments on food sanitation, I again go back to my mother, who apparently grew up in Fuedal Japan.
One day I started throwing food out of the referigerator, because it was definately bad.
Moldy, limp, smelly....partially liquified...Ick. ANYONE else would've thrown it out immediately.......except for my mom, who complained (and I quote)...
"When I was a little girl, my mother would just scrape the green mold off the food and we'd eat it, and we were fine!"
It is my firm belief that with each succeeding generation, we become more and more "sanitized".....could be why this Corona Virus thing is as bad as it is.
It could be that a person living a slightly dirtier lifestyle might have already built up the immunities to keep "bugs" from effecting them so badly.
.....now if you'll excuse me, its time for my hourly Lysol dowsing. ;)

Dean.

Last Edited:
The idea of using butter on the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich is to keep the bread from sticking to the pan and so it will toast, rather than burn.
Its like adding oil or some other kind of "substance" to help the food cook and keep if from sticking.
SO, if you mayo guys are adding butter to the pan BEFORE you cook the sandwich, you're actually doing the same thing as spreading butter directly on the bread. :s0140:
The Mayo does nothing other than separate under the heat.

You may be misunderstanding what I'm driving at here, you put the mayo directly on the bread and fry that side with the mayo on it...for me there's no butter involved whatsoever. I can't speak for the others here obviously.

Also for gods sake don't just drop the mayo into the pan!!!! Haha

When I lived in Japan, a fairly standard working mans breakfast was a bowl of rice with a raw egg stirred in with a dash of soy sauce.

Note that I wrote about how we're warned not to eat raw eggs, not what my personal habits are.... Personally, I LOVE raw eggs! I used to put a raw egg in a glass of milk and add vanilla and sugar, stir.

I eat raw fish... but you have to be careful about the source of raw fish... IMO, it's not smart to eat it right out of the water. Japanese sushi chefs are trained to spot parasites, and I'm told that the meat is flash frozen before shipping here. My buddy ate raw fish while fishing in Cabo (the boat captain added lime juice and they had cerviche), and a parasite caused him to lose 3/4 of his stomach... not a good weight loss plan to replace voluntary gastric surgery.

My wife was raised on raw milk. She hates homogenized milk.

My Mom was raised on a farm during the Great Depression... she cooks that hell out of meat to the point it is no longer edible. Pork was the worse, because they had Trichinosis in those days.

But I wonder if something has changed in our foodstuffs... raw milk, is it safe? Even cooked eggs sometimes give me the trots within 1/2 hr sometimes... WTF is up with that???

Raw egg or no, I hate mayo. I don't want either mayo or MW on grilled cheese or it just becomes a cheese sandwich. Which should have onion and tomato on it...

Last Edited:
What's Johnny seasoning?

And on another thought: When I was a kid, lots of guys put raw egg in their beer as a hangover cure. Hey, alcoholics know stuff...

And Hellingb: I love raw hamburger sandwiches. The only thing I add is a large slice of raw onion, salt and pepper, but as desperate as I was as one of the homeless as a kid (think modern day...well 50's/60's) Dickensian life, I would never have considered eating out of a garbage bin...and I've gone many a 4 and some 5 days without food...

What's Johnny seasoning?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: its this. Its a classic. I grew up on this! 91GcUJKreBL._SL1500_.jpg

Tamago Gohan....O-I-SHI!!!
Whenever us kids had a tummy ache, out would come the thick clay pot and we'd get tamago gohan to help us feel better.
Great breakfast/lunch/dinner choice after you've been working outside on a cold, wet day. :s0155:

Dean San,
Oishi indeed! Wonder how that would go with ludafisk?

Come on guys, as wild as it may seem to the western palate, give it a try, you just might like it, and Dean and I are still above ground. Once you've got the rice cooked, the rest is easy. Some bonito and nori flakes sprinkled on make it even better....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top