JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you fry your grilled cheese with

• Total voters
You know the boredom is getting pretty bad when there is an almost 8 page thread on Grilled Cheese Sammiches!:s0112::rolleyes:

Love it here!!!!:s0160:

Eventually, I'll read all the posts, but using Mayo on a grill cheese condominium?

Never heard of doing that.

Reminds of an English girl friend who put Mayo on French Fries.

I found it startling.

I tried it and found it ho-hum, ok, but buh-land.

Yes, GCS are great, but I just read the post about sardines.

I like wild caught sardines, raw onion, with grey poupon mustard sandwich on Pumpernickel.

Be sure to eat it outside...

I was telling my helper the other day about trying to make some grilled cheese and running out of mayonnaise...he failed to see how this could be a problem.

Apparently there are folks out there frying up their grilled cheeses with butter, and another person claims to use nothing at all :eek:.

So folks what do you use? Butter, mayo or something else?

I just had my first toasted cheese with mayo yesterday! Never knew people did that. Of course, I also had an uncle who couldn't believe people actually put gravy on biscuits! Just wasn't done in his family.

Eventually, I'll read all the posts, but using Mayo on a grill cheese condominium?

Never heard of doing that.

Reminds of an English girl friend who put Mayo on French Fries.

I found it startling.

I tried it and found it ho-hum, ok, but buh-land.
Mayo? On FRIES? Ugh... gotta be tartar sauce or A-1, unless they're covered in cheese and/or chili. Lots of make-you-pucker-at-both-ends vinegar works, too...

So... after reviewing this thread this morning I decided to grill up a couple of cheese sandwiches. :)
Came in the living room with the sandwiches and gave one to my wife.
She looks at it as if it's from another planet. She asked what it is, grilled cheese says I. She says OK I've never had one before.:s0001: WTF born and raised in the USA, and well over forty years old and never had a grilled cheese sandwich?:s0153:

I guess it's time to get the supplies to make up some Monte Cristo sandwich's and see if that was another deficiency in her upbringing.:s0091:

Ever cook bacon into the waffles? Or huckleberries? Yum!!!

Seeing as YOU brought up waffles, and we're talking cheese. This shouldn't be too off topic this time.

Cheese Waffles......You get the sharpest cheddar you can. Tilly extra sharp will work. No store brand sharp if you can help it. Make up a batch of plain old Bisquick waffle batter. Dad used to make it with buttermilk before ol' Betty C. started putting it in the mix. So suggest half mile half buttermilk so it's not too sour. Or not. After the batter is made fold in a good portion of grated sharp/extra sharp cheddar. You make sure and grate the cheese slowly so the shreds are as thick as possible You make waffles with that cheese batter. Oh lord. I butter them some. I never added syrup or anything, just some butter. YMMV

Mayo!!! Nasty! I have extremely rArely eaten mayo of any kind in the last decade or more.

We usually do grilled cheese every couple weeks, almost always right after cooking ham.
Then do grilled cheese and ham samwiches with Cambell's tomato bisque soup.

Grilled with butter,
Two slices of cheese one muenster, one colby
One slice of honey/brown sugar glazed ham
Sometimes I sprinkle a little dried cilantro/basil on the butter sides

My Mother in law really threw a wrench in though. She told my wife to put pickles on it.
And I felt like slapping her.
But then I tried it and I'll be darned if it wasn't good .

Of course I would never tell her that

Mayo!!! Nasty! I have extremely rArely eaten mayo of any kind in the last decade or more.

Whaaaat!? :s0001: Mayo is the basis of some of the most wonderful things in life!

Ranch Dressing
Tarter sauce
Fry Sauce
Potato Salad
Macaroni Salad
Horseradish Sauce
Thousand Island Dressing
Deviled Eggs
Artichoke Spinach Dip
Most Secrete Sauces, (shhhhh).

Mayonnaise is an "Insturment"

Mayonnaise has a song!