JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you fry your grilled cheese with

• Total voters
I toast my grilled cheese with Miracle Whip or salted butter.
Toast good rye bread, both sides, then add peanut butter, miracle whip and dill or sweet pickles, your choice! Great sammich!! ;) :D

Oh, and don't forget the tomato soup. Especially on a cold winter day. :)

Wifey loves it when we go somewhere that has tomato, soup o' the day. Me, meh.

No can do Brother... my dad loved tomato soup, but I always hated it, even as a kid. It's gotta be Campbell's Cream of Mushroom to go with GC sammies!!! ;):)
You mentioned that before and I ran it past Wifey. THAT sounded pretty good to me even. Whenever we have soup, which is usually when we have grilled sammies, MY soup is the classic, Bean /W Bacon!

MY soup is the classic, Bean /W Bacon!

That would be good too! Unfortunately, I don't really do much canned soup thanx (no thanx really) to kidney disease and high salt content. So mostly the GC sammies go unaccompanied.

But I do make homemade Split Pea Soup or a pot of pinto beans with lots of bacon or ham... no added salt but the bacon/ham is pretty salty anyway.

Costco and the Safeway by my house have started carrying a 'Keto' sliced white bread. Keeps for a long time in the fridge, black and red packaging. It's actually pretty good and very low in carbs.

When there was no bread available a few days back and Mrs. Needed some ... I bought a loaf. Said loaf is now in the landfill. An acquired taste, I guess.

But I do make homemade Split Pea Soup or a pot of pinto beans with lots of bacon or ham... no added salt but the bacon/ham is pretty salty anyway.

Ham hocks, or the left over bone from a ham, and lima's. Woof! A couple of weeks ago I could't get lima's for to go with my ham bone in the fridge so had to use pinto beans. I always pinto's those because I can't bring myself to use canned refrito's anymore when we have Mexicans food. The pintos just didn't work as well as lima's.

Butter your bread and put Tillamook cheddar and dill slices between the slices of bread. Grill as normal and remove from the pan. place a dob of grated cheddar in the pan and lay the sandwich on top. remove when the outside cheese will break from the pan. Remove from pan and repeat.

Ham hocks, or the left over bone from a ham, and lima's. Woof! A couple of weeks ago I could't get lima's for to go with my ham bone in the fridge so had to use pinto beans. I always pinto's those because I can't bring myself to use canned refrito's anymore when we have Mexicans food. The pintos just didn't work as well as lima's.

Ooooo, no Lima's for me! I'd have so much gas I could fly to Lima on my own!!!

I bought some off brand refritos at Grocery Outlet... not a good idea. Have the Rosarita refried gotten that bad?

As weird as I think mayo and grilled cheese sounds I'll one up you.
French toast... With... American cheese...
Cook the french toast on both sides and then slap a slice of American cheese on top. Flip it over and cook until the cheese is a between medium and dark brown. Serve with cinnamon and a healthy dose of syrup with bacon on the side.
It takes a fairly decent amount of skill to pull it off and not have the cheese look like something out of a horror movie, but my dad did it in a cast iron skillet when we were kids. Those non-stick pans just make a mess of the whole thing. It might sound gross, but (at least to me) its delicious. :eek::)

As weird as I think mayo and grilled cheese sounds I'll one up you.
French toast... With... American cheese...
Cook the french toast on both sides and then slap a slice of American cheese on top. Flip it over and cook until the cheese is a between medium and dark brown. Serve with cinnamon and a healthy dose of syrup with bacon on the side.
It takes a fairly decent amount of skill to pull it off and not have the cheese look like something out of a horror movie, but my dad did it in a cast iron skillet when we were kids. Those non-stick pans just make a mess of the whole thing. It might sound gross, but (at least to me) its delicious. :eek::)

Skip the cheese and use Adam's Crunchy peanut butter... :)

Always use butter on the outside.
I have been using Costco torta rolls with a couple of slices of bacon and always Tillamook cheese.
The wife works at the Tillamook Cheese MInes (in finance) and she frequently brings blocks of cheese home so I use which ever one we have on hand.
Anyway, I put them in a panini press for 3 minutes, soft and gooey inside, crunchy on the outside!
Delicious!

That's if you fold it.:)
I roll mine up, pinch the lower end closed and eat it like a banana,
while trying not to burn my lips with the hot cheese.:eek:
I call it, "My Cheesetto." ;)
This will rock your socks:

Crumble cotija cheese into a nonstick skillet. Place tortilla onto it. Put whatever goodies you want on top.

The cheese will melt itself onto the tortilla and fry up. When it's golden, start rolling the tortilla.

Now you've got layers of fried cheese in there.

Ooooo, no Lima's for me! I'd have so much gas I could fly to Lima on my own!!!

I bought some off brand refritos at Grocery Outlet... not a good idea. Have the Rosarita refried gotten that bad?

Okay, I figure you have time?

1 Cup pintos. Gone through for funkies and rocks, rinsed. Sauce pan with water about an inch/little more over the beans.
simmer for 2 hours +/- 'til very tender.

Drain water off cooked beans from the sauce pan, saving for later. Transfer beans with what water is left in pan to some stainless bowl(what I use) to mash in.

Before mashing I add "ample" fat to them. ("ample" comes from the Mexican cook book I referenced years ago) A combo of a couple tablespoons lard, 'bout half that margarine, and a teaspoon or so bacon fat, salt, a little garlic powder and ground cumin. Sometimes I'll ad some chili powder, which starts getting into Rosarita canned territory. The way I like to ad those spices is so I can't really TASTE cumin, or garlic, or bacon grease. It's there, but not prominent.

Use a potato masher and get to mashing, serious mashing. As the beans thicken, add some of the reserved bean water. Get to mashing again. Taste for seasoning. A little more water. More mashing. I've come to prefer mine with no whole beans.
Transfer back to cooking pan.

I end up with mine being pretty runny because I usually leave them on the stove at a very low simmer for a time. Hour? +/- Lid on/lid off partially to regulate consistency. You still have bean water if they get too thick.

I've had these where there was nothing but some salt, and other times with fat, spices and enough chili powder that they looked like canned. If you like canned Refrito's? You make these a few times and you'll never go back to canned unless you forgot to buy pinto's and you had to use that ONE can you keep in the pantry for emergencies!

Next up!
Abuelo Peláez's Frijoles Negros (Black Beans) Recipe

This recipe is so different. Damned good to. It's one you put over rice because there is such a taste explosion! Quit a bit more work. But-hey, your retired and have plenty of time, right?:D

I hope this isn't torture. Some of us old(er) farts have serious problems with beans.:rolleyes: My father was one. He had to go camping to eat the baked beans that he loved. And later on he had to stop eating his beans totally. Knocking on wood. Bean dishes are still in the "Fun" stage for me. :s0155:

I hope this isn't torture. Some of us old(er) farts have serious problems with beans.:rolleyes: My father was one. He had to go camping to eat the baked beans that he loved. And later on he had to stop eating his beans totally. Knocking on wood. Bean dishes are still in the "Fun" stage for me. :s0155:

It's getting to be a problem... maybe 75% of the time now. I forget, or I want what I want.. and suffer the consequences. I swell up like beans when you soak them. Painful. Split pea soup is even worse, it runs thru me like a deer... But I love the taste!!!

I'm one of the herd here. Mom always did it with butter. I do, too.

Might have to try that mayo thing.

I've been doing the microwave thing off and on forever. Works pretty well. Often I use mayo inside of that one instead of butter.

Both actually. Butter on the outside, mayo on the inside, lots of sharp cheddar and maybe a thin slice of Monterey Jack.

And bacon. lots of applewood smoked bacon. And maybe a nice slice of heirloom tomato if I'm feeling fancy.

Outside: butter or mayo
Inside: nothing but cheese - cheddar, American, have fond memories of them with Guvment Cheese from the 70s. Only one type of cheese at a time, though - I am NOT a cheese slut.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top