JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, folks.

I've been up in Portland for about a year and a half now. I grew up in the boonies of central California (Modesto, Tuolomne River area), and learned to shoot when I was a kid. My dad was a ww2 vet, 11th airborne in the Japanese theater and shot 1st in his regiment with the M1 carbine. He taught me and both my brothers to shoot. I grew up with .22s (Winchester take-down 22 pump and a Mossberg semi-auto) and an old level-action 25-35 that was my grandpa's made around 1916. We always used iron sights, hence the name.

Recently, I expanded to his old Beretta jetfire in .25acp (SO small, argh!) and won a 12ga (Stevens 320 3" with an 18" and 28" barrel) in a raffle. I lived in a few places in CA and finally got out and up here to Portland after college. I've been shooting with the shotgun a few times, but am still really green with it. The .22s I'm fine with. The .25 is like the "noisy cricket" from Men In Black - tiny, noisy, and more trouble than it's worth. Plus I can't hit a 12" target from 15 feet because my hands are twice the size of the pistol and I can barely hold onto it. The 25-35 is my favorite, but ammo is pricey if you can even find it. I did find some cheap and available "metric equivalent" 6.5x52R, but haven't tried it yet. I'm a bit apprehensive about it because while it works for some, it doesn't work for all, and I don't know what that would look like if it didn't work. Exploding barrels are not something I want near my face.

The main reason I'm joining here is to make connections with people so I can learn where and how to hunt. I grew up shooting but never hunting. Not only am I looking to start hunting small game like rabbits (no limit, no season), and eventually deer/elk, but I'm looking to be able to completely eliminate store-bought meat. I like the idea of an animal living its days outdoors as being humane, but more importantly, a lot of store-bought meat makes me sick. I'm allergic to a lot of foods, especially corn, and the disinfectants and soaker-pads used all over meat counters and processors are made with corn. It gets on the meat and I wind up chained to the bathroom for a day.

Anyhow, I'm in Saint Johns. Highway 30 is close and I want to get out there. I did take the CA hunter safety class, but I haven't picked up a license yet. I'd be happy to tag along and learn this season, or help build blinds for rabbits to make burrows for next year's population. I've never used a scope, and I don't really have any interest in learning to. My personal style is to keep using ironsights and to hunt on my feet, not in a blind. It just seems more sportsmanlike to me... and I would get incredibly bored sitting in a blind for any length of time.

Welcome! St John's has been home all my life, so forgive me if I'm a bit bias. It's not the safest or the nicest area, but I truly believe it's one of the last unique areas of Portland. It's city or country for me, I can't handle the suburbs.

Welcome to NWFA IronSights! I'm not a hunter myself, not against it just seems like way to much work! :D If you're looking for a good local hunting forum, might I suggest ifish.net. I know we have a hunting forum here but I believe the ifish hunting forum has a bunch more traffic than ours here. I'll caution you about ifish, they are very strict, to the point of being suffocating, on their rules. I would say though the hunting forum there has quite a few good guys that are very serious outdoorsmen.

If you're into firearms, there's no better site in the NW than this right here!

Welcome. My last Ca address was in Modesto (home of the world's thickest fog). The only rabbits I've seen here are at Mo's in Cannon Beach. I don't think you can shoot those. I've heard of people hunting turkeys, ducks (Not Ducks) & wild pigs but I don't know where. Best of luck.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top