Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

green/gray parkerizing

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by cetme, Aug 20, 2010.

1. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

hello is there such a thing as green,or gray parkerizing? it seems ive seen it on a few rifle over the years.if not, park what is it? ive got a couple rifles i want to try it on. not looking for a pretty finish.just uniform,tough.somewhat local to clackamas area + 50 miles max.any ideas really appreciated

2. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Parkerizing comes in two forms... Zinc and Manganese. Zinc is the light grey park, manganese is the charcoal black. Zinc is usually used as a base treatment for powdercoating, duracoating and others. Manganese is usually used by itself. However, you can vary the amount of acid in the bath and get it to come out a more grey color.

If you want the grey/green typically seen on military rifles you probably want to start out with manganese, and then apply some cosmoline and let it sit for a few dozen years. I've been playing around with parkerizing quite a bit lately, when I was researching the topic that's the opinion of most of the restoration guys out there. The green is a result of the cosmoline interacting with the surface. I would be willing to bet that after parkerizing if you were to apply cosmoline as a base oil it would eventually give you that green finish so common to WW2 vintage garandes.

3. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

thats some good info to go on.now to find someone who does it. thanks

4. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

along the lines of my post..how far would you have to dissasemble an ak for someone to park it correctly

5. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Greater Seattle Area Member

I agree... sock your gun with cosmo after parkerizing. It's the solution I have always heard for getting the greenish tint to your park job.

6. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Typically this requires a complete tear down of the gun, meaning even barrel trunion must be removed, and all parts stripped down. I imagine you could do it with just a large teardown (all of the minor assemblies removed) and then lining the barrel and chamber with a thick waterproof laquer.

What I would actually suggest is just paint it with BBQ paint. Enfields were not parkerized during and after WW2, but rather had a heavy heat resistant paint applied to them. I've done it to a few of my enfields, and it's a pretty easy process.