JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Washington: Gun Control Bills Fail to Meet Deadline
ar-is000056631448.jpg
Friday, February 2nd marked the deadline for bills to be voted out of committee in the house in which they originated. As previously reported, several anti-gun bills received committee votes prior to this deadline; however, many of the bills NRA-ILA has been actively opposing in Olympia failed to receive a vote before the cut-off and are likely defeated for the year. Thank you to NRA members and Second Amendment supporters for attending committee hearings, contacting legislators, and for your continued involvement during the legislation session.

House Bill 1134/Senate Bill 5050, filed at the request of Attorney General Bob Ferguson, would have prohibited the possession, purchase, sale, or transfer of commonly owned semi-automatic rifles and standard capacity ammunition magazines holding more than ten rounds. Failed to meet committee deadline.

House Bill 2422/Senate Bill 6049, also filed at the request of Attorney General Ferguson, would have targeted standard capacity ammunition magazines by arbitrarily branding them as "Large Capacity Magazines," and would have prohibited the possession of magazines holding more than ten rounds, with limited exceptions. Those allowed to continue possession of "Large Capacity Magazines" within the limited exceptions would be required to lock up their ammunition magazines or face criminal charges. Failed to meet committee deadline.

House Bill 2666/Senate Bill 6146 would have abolished Washington's decades old state firearm preemption statute. The state preemption statute, passed in 1983, helps keep firearm and ammunition laws consistent throughout Washington by establishing that the State Legislature has full authority to regulate and create laws pertaining to firearms and ammunition. These statutes help prevent a confusing patchwork of gun control laws which make it difficult for gun owners to ensure that they are following the law. Failed to meet committee deadline.

Substitute Senate Bill 5463 would have created civil liability for individuals that do not lock up their firearm if it is obtained and used by a prohibited person in the commission of a crime or to cause harm or injury to another. While NRA encourages storing firearms in a manner that is appropriate for your personal situation, there is nothing in SB 5463 that would have protected individuals who had their firearms stolen or acquired by illegal entry, theft, or burglary. A firearm owner should not be held liable for the crimes committed by a prohibited person who has illegally obtained their firearm. Failed to meet committee deadline.

Senate Bill 6415 would have required individuals to ask for express consent to conceal carry a firearm at the residence of another person. Failure to obtain permission prior to entering the property would result in a misdemeanor crime. Individuals convicted of this new offense would have been required to surrender their concealed pistol license, and would have been prohibited from obtaining a CPL for five years. This vaguely drafted legislation would have targeted Washington's law abiding CPL holders, and as drafted, could even have made it a crime for law enforcement to enter one's property without first requesting permission to carry their firearm. Failed to meet committee deadline.

House Bill 2293 would have prohibited law-abiding individuals from being able to carry a firearm for self-defense at child day care centers and early learning facilities, with limited exceptions. Under this legislation, child care centers would have also been required to post "GUN-FREE ZONE" signs on the premises. Failed to meet committee deadline.

Again, thank you to NRA members and Second Amendment supporters for your continued involvement this session. Please stay tuned to your email inbox for further updates as we continue the fight to protect Second Amendment rights in the Evergreen State.

It's only partially good news as there are still too many anti-gun bills still alive...........

According to the NRA Website, these are the bills still active and have the potential to pass... I don't know why I get emails saying Washington Gun Control Bills defeated, when the bills that were defeated were the less severe bills.. Is the NRA trying to convince us they are actually doing something useful here? Why not send the victory emails when the real victory has been achieved..

• Senate Bill 5050, sponsored by Senator David Frockt (D-46), and House Bill 1134, sponsored by Representative Strom Peterson (D-21), would prohibit all possession, purchase, sale or transfer of commonly owned semi-automatic rifles and ammunition magazines holding ten or more rounds.
  • Senate Bill 5444, sponsored by Senator Frockt, and House Bill 1387, sponsored by Representative Laurie Jinkins (D-27), would impose a registration-licensing system for commonly owned semi-automatic rifles and ammunition magazines holding ten or more rounds.
  • Senate Bill 5463, sponsored by Senator Frockt, and House Bill 1122, sponsored by Representative Ruth Kagi (D-32), would require individuals to lock up firearms or potentially face Class C Felony charges. This intrusive government legislation invades people's homes and forces them to render their firearms useless in a self-defense situation by locking them up.
  • Senate Bill 5992, sponsored by Senator Kevin Van De Wege (D-24), would make it a crime to knowingly possess a firearm accessory or any other device, part or combination of parts that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semi-automatic firearm.
  • Senate Bill 6049, sponsored by Senator Frockt, would prohibit the possession of ammunition magazines holding ten or more rounds, with limited exceptions.

These bills, if passed, means I am leaving this state. Thankfully, I have a remote job (as of now) and don't have any family roots in this state. However, my heart is torn for those who law-abiding gun owners who cannot (or don't want to leave) and will be turned into felons overnight with these Nazi era Waffengesetz laws.

Ray

Don't let the NRA deceive you acting as if they have achieved some victory. The fact that the NRA sends out an email like this while the most atrocious gun bills in our country are still alive and active just proves to me how phony and much of a propaganda machine the NRA truly is. They are out to enrich their pockets and don't give two sh*ts about the gun rights of people here in Washington. They were not around when I-594 passed and I am wondering what the hell they are doing right now?

Don't let the NRA deceive you acting as if they have achieved some victory. The fact that the NRA sends out an email like this while the most atrocious gun bills in our country are still alive and active just proves to me how phony and much of a propaganda machine the NRA truly is. They are out to enrich their pockets and don't give two sh*ts about the gun rights of people here in Washington. They were not around when I-594 passed and I am wondering what the hell they are doing right now?

I'd say it's a mixed bag. Reversing pre-emption would have been a BIG DEAL -- it's a backdoor method to make practical exercise of the 2A impossible. On the other hand, the assault weapon licensing bill is also a BIG DEAL and apparently still alive.

In the spirit of unintended consequences, if the AW licensing bill passes, I might as well get a CCP as well. My main beef with getting a CCP is being recorded and fingerprinted -- because I've never felt a personal need to carry a gun, I wasn't interested. But if they are going to make me go through all this hooey anyway, then I might as well go whole hog. The upshot is, treating me like a criminal for no reason at all, will put a gun out there in the street rather than locked up in my safe.

We still have a gun licensing scheme that will be so restrictive you will essentially be illegally in possession of any gun they deem "Assault Weapon".. As well, the state of Washington most likely will not give out any AW licenses except to law enforcement. SO, it will in effect, be the same as an Assault Weapon Ban, just a more intelligently constructed one. I'd almost rather them just have an AWB rather than a gun licensing scheme that turns every owner of as semi auto rifle/pistol into a felon. I am not totally sure if we are in the clear with 5444 either. As well, there is still the legislation that requires you to keep your guns unloaded and locked up at your own residence. If this passes, every gun owner in the state will become a felon overnight.

Yeah, the NRA declaring victory when there has yet to be a victory just pisses me off and makes people feel relaxed and comfortable and reduces their drive to stand up and fight against these tyrannical laws . Declaring victory prematurely is utterly counter-productive to protecting our gun rights.

Once again, the NRA seriously has pissed me off. I won't be renewing my membership and will only re-join the NRA if the gun range I want to join requires membership (like my current one).

While we are not yet out of the storm, this is the best news I have heard all week!! I was really dreading the future if any of those had passed. I most likely would have moved out of state.

We still have a gun licensing scheme that will be so restrictive you will essentially be illegally in possession of any gun they deem "Assault Weapon".. As well, the state of Washington most likely will not give out any AW licenses except to law enforcement. ....

I've read the text -- it does say "shall issue" -- but the data they want is extreme, the renewal period is every year, the original fee is $50 + whatever costs the FBI charges, and the yearly renewal is $30. Anyway, getting a license probably won't be an issue -- it's the privacy violation and needless expense that's a real _____.

I've read the text -- it does say "shall issue" -- but the data they want is extreme, the renewal period is every year, the original fee is $50 + whatever costs the FBI charges, and the yearly renewal is $30. Anyway, getting a license probably won't be an issue -- it's the privacy violation and needless expense that's a real _____.

This is better news I suppose than from what I original heard about the bill. I was so nauseated by it and the others that I didn't bother reading any further than the Assault Weapon Ban and Gun Lock Up bills.

However, I don't think I will be partaking in Washington's licensing system. Is it for every rifle and handgun you own? I wonder what they will do to me if I refuse? Gun confiscation? Will I stay and find out?

The state already doesn't have money to expand its road system, maintain its roads, deal with the homeless junkies taking over the streets. This is going to require a lot of tax money to enforce this licensing system. If the licensing scheme isn't worse enough they probably will implement a state income tax to help fund this multi-million dollar gun licensing operation. That will require a hell of a lot of extra resources for law enforcement, IT people, bookkeepers, etc.. A good number of this people already are having to pay $1000 to register their car every year to fund a light rail system that will be built in 15 to 20 years.

But the state of Washington loves to find any means to impose a tax and ban, whether or not they can effectively enforce it or perhaps just scare you into thinking they can.

Last Edited:
... Is it for every rifle and handgun you own? ...

Here's the definition, and it includes many pistols:

(27) "Assault weapon" means:
(a) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(ii) A thumbhole stock;
(iii) A folding or telescoping stock;
(iv) A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(v) A flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or muzzle compensator;
(vi) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;​
(b) A semiautomatic pistol, or a semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept
more than ten rounds of ammunition;
(c) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(ii) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol grip;​
(d) A semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has an overall length of less than thirty inches;
(e) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(i) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip;
(ii) A folding or telescoping stock; or
(iii) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;​
(f) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder; or
(g) A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.​
"Assault weapon" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.

[further down, there is an exclusion for tube magazine .22s]​

(a) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(ii) A thumbhole stock;
(iv) A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(v) A flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or muzzle compensator;
(b) A semiautomatic pistol, or a semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept
more than ten rounds of ammunition;
(c) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(ii) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol grip;​
(d) A semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has an overall length of less than thirty inches;
(i) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip;
(g) A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.​
"Assault weapon" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.

[further down, there is an exclusion for tube magazine .22s]​

Yep, just as I figured there, almost every rifle, pistol and shotgun that is semi-automatic with a magazine is an "Assault Weapon". It is funny how the liberals will claim they just want Ak-47s off the street and then ban even your commonly owned pistols too. I am sure Uncle Joe's double barrel shotgun (which they proclaim to cherish) will eventually become an Assault weapon too once they run out of other "Assault Weapons" to ban.

I actually already assumed this, what I still don't understand is if they will require you to license each and every firearm. Will a gun owner have to pay $1000 or more a year to register all his firearms or risk having the police bust down his door and kill him and his family if they refuse to pay the licenses or turn over their firearms to law enforcement?

I am leaving Washington state (the entire Northwest, most likely) one way or another, it is just a question of how soon I will bail. It depends on how crazy whatever laws they pass. Whatever they cannot pass now, I am sure they will get through eventually. Last I checked, Washington state isn't getting any more conservative and liberal Californians/East Coasters are moving here in droves. They all want "SENSIBLE" gun control, i.e. banning them from law-abiding citizens, but pampering , aiding and abetting the criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. Also, considering Seattle is a sanctuary city, I would think the Mexican cartels would enjoy the disarmed status of the law-abiding Middle Class Americans. Wouldn't surprise me if the Mexican cartels help fund some of the politicians in this state, as I see quite a large presence of them here. Living off of Interstate 5 is going to become more and more challenging with the way things are going on the "Left Coast".

(ii) A thumbhole stock;
(b) A semiautomatic pistol, or a semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition;
(g) A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

[further down, there is an exclusion for tube magazine .22s]

This bill is so vague, that basically any part of semi-auto firearm is classified as an "assault weapon".

Ray

As I understand this, and I'm not even a legislative novice let alone expert, is that there is now a substitute bill for 5444 which omits the licensing requirements. It does however, require that what it defines as AWs, be processed through the same procedure handguns currently are processed when purchased from a dealer (or through a dealer). Obviously this creates a state registry for firearms that are sold. The small upside however, is that you can get around this by building your own because such a firearm isn't sold through a dealer. With the previous version that contained the licensing requirement, merely possessing an AW required that you get licensed, although those that pre-existed the law would be exempt from licensing till 2020.

Substitute Bill: http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5444-S.pdf

So again, unintended consequences. This law will expand interest level in 80% lowers and such.

As I understand this, and I'm not even a legislative novice let alone expert, is that there is now a substitute bill for 5444 which omits the licensing requirements. It does however, require that what it defines as AWs, be processed through the same procedure handguns currently are processed when purchased from a dealer (or through a dealer). Obviously this creates a state registry for firearms that are sold. The small upside however, is that you can get around this by building your own because such a firearm isn't sold through a dealer. With the previous version that contained the licensing requirement, merely possessing an AW required that you get licensed, although those that pre-existed the law would be exempt from licensing till 2020.

Substitute Bill: http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5444-S.pdf

So again, unintended consequences. This law will expand interest level in 80% lowers and such.

Well, Awshoot.. I suppose this is good news! That would mean that worse of this draconian gun bills are either dead or modified to the point of being negligible. Not that celebrating not losing our rights one year after another is something to celebrate. It is like celebrating that Hitler didn't invade us this year, but anticipate he will invade us the next. It leaves a bitersweet feeling in my gut, especially living in Liberal Loonie Land.. Let us hope that our beloved Congress can pass a bill that would forbid states passing any laws that violate the 2nd Amendment. Somewhat reminiscent of the abolishing of the Jim Crow/Racial laws. Haha.. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking :rolleyes:.. Our beloved politicians in DC have more important issues to worry about than our measly Second Amendment, right?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews