JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
J. R. R. Tolkien - pretty much everything.

The Prize - The epic quest for Oil, Money & Power. Great documentation of the pursuit of oil since the late 1850s.
Cadillac Desert - The American West & its disappearing water. Great read.

I've got Ferfal's book, it's a good one.

I agree on "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". Quite a page-turner despite the length, and very important. I read it when I was 16 or so.

"The Underground History of American Education" by John Taylor Gatto. You will never look at school in the same way again.

"Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. What can I say? I think I have read it 5 times by now.

"Jack Hinson's One-Man War" by Tom McKenney. A true story about revenge.

I read a lot of books. Lots of history, first hand accounts of various battles in the Civil War, WW II, Vietnam, Korean War and the Gulf conflicts.

I have read autobiography's of Chesty Puller, James Doolittle, Colin Powell, Abraham Lincoln and dozens of others.

Library book sales, Goodwill, garage and estate sales. I try to never pay more than $ 2 for a book, and a lot of them if vintage I resell on ebay.

Some more Great Books from the Library of Andy:
Once An Eagle By Anton Myrer
Doctor Dogbody's Leg by James Norman Hall
The Bounty Trilogy by Charles NordHoff and James Norman Hall
Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Martian Chronicles
Both by Ray Bradbury
Starship Troopers and Glory Road
Both by Robert A. Heinlein
American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Happy Reading! :D
Andy

All the Jack Reacher novels, Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn and (now) Kyle Mills, Jon Scalzi Old Mans War series. David Baldacci has two different series, one is Wil Robbie, the other is John Puller.

Mmm... I read a lot... 60-80 books a year...

And I can tell you I dont read what you guys do :)

One I finished recently and really liked was Perdido street station by China Mieville

Another Seven Eves by Neal Stephenson

Anything by Christopher Moore

Recommend Patriots Novel series by James Wesley Rawles

Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates by Brian Kilmeade

Here is a quote from Wikipedia on the subject:

"In March 1786, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams went to London to negotiate with Tripoli's envoy, ambassador Sidi Haji Abdrahaman (or Sidi Haji Abdul Rahman Adja). When they enquired "concerning the ground of the pretensions to make war upon nations who had done them no injury", the ambassador replied:

"It was written in their Koran, that all nations which had not acknowledged the Prophet were sinners, whom it was the right and duty of the faithful to plunder and enslave; and that every mussulman who was slain in this warfare was sure to go to paradise. He said, also, that the man who was the first to board a vessel had one slave over and above his share, and that when they sprang to the deck of an enemy's ship, every sailor held a dagger in each hand and a third in his mouth; which usually struck such terror into the foe that they cried out for quarter at once." "

They haven't changed any in over 200 years and never will. Only one way to deal with them that they understand.

IMG_0964.JPG

My small collection of books by and about Theodore Roosevelt. Here is a section of an article I recently wrote on some of the books that have influenced me:

Manifest Destiny by Brian Garfield

Theodore Roosevelt has been an inspiration to me for decades in that he not only promoted the "vigorous life" but he also lived it. Naturalist, rancher, soldier, politician, explorer, husband and father; Teddy was a true Renaissance man of deep convictions and bold actions bound together with a curious combination of passion and intellect. Brian Garfield's historical fiction Manifest Destiny is based on people, places and events from his adventures in the Dakota Territory that heavily influenced the future president and was my initiation into the amazing number of written works about and by Col. Roosevelt (the title he preferred after leaving the presidency). As captivating as biographies and histories are, the over 35 books authored by Roosevelt himself are even more thought-provoking. In them resides the unique opportunity juxtapose historical events with the words and philosophies of someone who lived and shaped them.

I like most books by Harry Turtledove, Sci-fi, and he is the master of alternative history fiction! He's a history professor at UCLA!
Worldwar 3 book series
Guns of the South
The Time of Troubles (Fantasy) And many more!

The Long Ships by Franz Gunnar Bengtsson

The 1950's Sci-fi works by Andre Norton, Robert Heinline and Otis Aldelbert Kline

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Connan Doyle

LOL!!! More later I'm beat! :)

Last Edited:
View attachment 325332

My small collection of books by and about Theodore Roosevelt. Here is a section of an article I recently wrote on some of the books that have influenced me:

Manifest Destiny by Brian Garfield

Theodore Roosevelt has been an inspiration to me for decades in that he not only promoted the "vigorous life" but he also lived it. Naturalist, rancher, soldier, politician, explorer, husband and father; Teddy was a true Renaissance man of deep convictions and bold actions bound together with a curious combination of passion and intellect. Brian Garfield's historical fiction Manifest Destiny is based on people, places and events from his adventures in the Dakota Territory that heavily influenced the future president and was my initiation into the amazing number of written works about and by Col. Roosevelt (the title he preferred after leaving the presidency). As captivating as biographies and histories are, the over 35 books authored by Roosevelt himself are even more thought-provoking. In them resides the unique opportunity juxtapose historical events with the words and philosophies of someone who lived and shaped them.

Hey, USMC-03, have you read The River of Doubt? About his trip through the Amazon Jungle? A fabulous story! I don't see how any one of them survived. In a sense Roosevelt's son didn't!

Hey, USMC-03, have you read The River of Doubt? About his trip through the Amazon Jungle? A fabulous story! I don't see how any one of them survived. In a sense Roosevelt's son didn't!

No, I haven't read TR's account but have read about the expedition in the usual biographies. The common thought is that the trip made TR so ill he never really recovered and died 10 years earlier than he should have.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews