JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been searching for some good books lately and I thought I would ask for a few ideas. A few of the ones I have read are:

The Bible (changed my life and I will never be without a copy. The NIV 2016 is great and I just finished the ESV)

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden (excellent story of the hunt for the worlds most infamous drug lord)

The Finish by Mark Bowden (it was ok. The story of the hunt for Osama BL. It was so so.)

Killing Patton by Bill O'reilly (really good. covered the major players of the conflict. great read!)

Where men win glory by Jon Krakauer (great book about Pat Tillman the pro football player turned army ranger after 9-11 who was killed by friendly fire)

The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse by Fernando "Ferfal" Aguirre (Great book about the economic collapse of Argentina in 2001. This is his personal experience and reads like an instruction manual and not like story of what happened. Its a great book.)

Do you have any good suggestions?
Thanks

I like Mark Bowdens work.

I would add in the Last Lecture about Randy Pousch

1000 years for revenge by peter lance

Not a good day to die, the true story of Operation Anaconda by Sean Naylor

This last one I really wish they would make into a movie.

The American State Papers - A collection of documents from the first 14 US Congressional Sessions.

JS (John Stuart) Mill - On Liberty

Anything with Jack Reacher in it :) Seriously, Lee Child is a great, admittedly mono-protagonist, writer.

Making Jack Falcone

11/22/63

One Summer

I recently added the free Overdrive app to my iPhone and started listening to downloadable audiobooks (from Multco Library). Basically allowing me to plow through 10-12 books a month that I couldn't while driving, working, honey-do list, walking to work, etc. It totally changes minutes waiting for appointments, rides, DEQ, dishes and stuff that I used to regard as wasted time I'd never get back. Sweetheart wants to stop and shop someplace without a Harbor Freight next door? No problem, I flop back the driver's seat, relax and enjoy the interlude.

Last Edited:
What do you like to read?
For history my favorites that I re-read are:
South by Sir Ernest Shackleton
Life in the far West by George Ruxton
Wah-to-Yah And The Taos Trail by Lewis Garrard

And this time of year I always re-read all of the Middle Earth works by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Andy

+1 for the Middle Earth works Andy! Took me two trips through Silmarillion before I "got it" all. LOL
I like pretty much any thing Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler!
I also revisit all the Hemingway and other classics of our time!
Kippling is still my fav. read, really like his style!

I would consider The Art of War a must read.

Some novels I really like:
The Night Angel trilogy
Lord of the Rings + the Hobbit
the Chronicles of Narnia
A Series of Unfortunate Events

I need to read some more of a Song of Ice and Fire.

Careful, Those Song of fire and Ice books are highly addictive, Still waiting for George to finish the series before HBO out strips him completely, though I don't think even he would have thought it would have take off quite as well as it has! I think he is just happy to pass it on to them and "advise" of his ideas like so much of his past work! Great reading none the less!

I rarely read any fiction [like one book every 2-3 years], but if you're looking for a good read that is related to recent military action, I'd recommend two books by Eric Blehm that I've read in the last year: 'Fearless' and 'The Only Thing Worth Dying For.' Two others on early American history by Nathaniel Philbrick are 'Mayflower' and 'In the Heart of the Sea.' My three favorites by humorist P.J. O'Rourke [all political commentary in the form of satire] are Parliament of Whores [about Congress], Give War a Chance, and Holidays in Hell [journalist assignments to lousy places].

Making Jack Falcone

11/22/63

One Summer

I recently added the free Overdrive app to my iPhone and started listening to downloadable audiobooks (from Multco Library). Basically allowing me to plow through 10-12 books a month that I couldn't while driving, working, honey-do list, walking to work, etc. It totally changes minutes waiting for appointments, rides, DEQ, dishes and stuff that I used to regard as wasted time I'd never get back. Sweetheart wants to stop and shop someplace without a Harbor Freight next door? No problem, I flop back the driver's seat, relax and enjoy the interlude.

Audiobooks from the library are the best.

Making Jack Falcone

11/22/63

One Summer

2nd on this, i travel alot for work and audio books really utilize time that otherwise would be wasted.

Some other great books:
Patriots The men who started the American Revolution
By A.J. Langguth
Paul Revere's Ride and Washington's Crossing
Both by David Hackett Fischer
If fiction is more your thing:
The Company
By Robert Littell
Fields of Fire
By James Webb
Fatherland
By Robert Harris

Andy

More Great Books:
The What If ? series books 1 and 2
Edited by Robert Cowley
The Civil War 3 volumes
By Shelby Foote
Shots fired in Anger
By Lt. Col. John George
Some Classics:
The Iliad and The Odyssey
By Homer ( Not Homer Simpson! :D )
Moby Dick and White Jacket
Both by Herman Melville
Robinson Crusoe
By Daniel Defoe

Andy
edit for pre-coffee spelling

Last Edited:
More Great Books:
The What If ? series books 1 and 2
Edited by Robert Cowley
The Civil War 3 volumes
By Shelby Foote
Shots fired in Anger
By Lt. Col. John George
Some Classics:
The Iliad and The Odyssey
By Homer ( Not Homer Simpson! :D )
Moby Dick and White Jacket
Both by Herman Melvile
Robinson Crusoe
By Daniel Defoe

Andy

Some good reading in that list, though I'm not sure about the Simpson wanna be. Some people...

Also don't be put off by classic works.
If tackling a classic for the first time or trying again after high school English class , just enjoy the book for the story.
Don't go looking for any hidden meanings or dissecting each and every phrase or sentence.
Case in point : Moby Dick
The story: Determined ship captain goes after big azz whale , danger awaits.
There you go a damn good sea story.
Many folks forget or never knew that Melville worked on a whaler.
While reading Moby Dick , you can learn a lot about the whaling industry while enjoying a great story.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews