JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Never got into reloading shotshells. Always wanted to, especially slugs and buckshot.
That is, until recently.
Got a 12 gauge Lee Loader here in the classifieds and then ordered a 1 1/8 oz .690 Lee round ball mold from Titan Reloading for $20.35 ($10 shipping) very recently and was ready to go.
Had some cheap 1 1/8 oz dove loads on hand so I opened those by screwing a vicegripped sheetrock screw into the center of the crimp and carefully pulling and whatnot, opened them up, saving the shot to be melted and then cast.
Long story short, I'd say it was a successful and enjoyable endeavor. Some of the 12 gauge hulls were more difficult to open and the new crimp not super pretty (both 6 petal crimp.. 8 petals re-crimp better and are easier to de-shot) but all are uniform, have a strong physical crimp, don't rattle and function/dry cycle through my pump gun. These were raw-dog loaded, no lube.. next batch I might powdercoat them for the fun of it.
I'll let you know how they actually shoot out of both semiautomatic and pump guns, intending to paper plate them at 30 yards.

20210712_064018.jpg 20210718_102252.jpg 20210712_100306.jpg 20210712_110304.jpg

Well, finally got to test them.
They kick pretty darn hard so that's way better than bloopers that just roll down the tube is what I say.
6 shots offhand, 20 yards.. good enough for me.
If the tube is horribly leaded I'll let you know. Shot 50.

20210901_092113.jpg

I saved my hulls to make some lighter plinking loads. Need to cipher up some data using Red Dot so wads and primers with that in mind are on the list.
If you are going to mess about with 12 hulls, I have found AA Winchester's to be the best. Something about the composition of the plastic. They crimp like a champ and there are a ton of different loads. If you run across some on the ground and they look fresh grab them. I used to get 8-10 loads out of them. I'm guessing you would least get four or five out of a hot Buckshot load.. just a guess.

This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.

I did a quick search, but nothing came up. Does anyone know if there are molds for smaller shot, say #5/6? I see the Lee ones for 00, #4 buck and 000.
You need to use a shot tower or something similar to make small shot. There are home built and commercial rigs.. I don't know too much about it save it's persnickety to do and probably a good bit of cash outlay for the gear.

Never got into reloading shotshells. Always wanted to, especially slugs and buckshot.
That is, until recently.
Got a 12 gauge Lee Loader here in the classifieds and then ordered a 1 1/8 oz .690 Lee round ball mold from Titan Reloading for $20.35 ($10 shipping) very recently and was ready to go.
Had some cheap 1 1/8 oz dove loads on hand so I opened those by screwing a vicegripped sheetrock screw into the center of the crimp and carefully pulling and whatnot, opened them up, saving the shot to be melted and then cast.
Long story short, I'd say it was a successful and enjoyable endeavor. Some of the 12 gauge hulls were more difficult to open and the new crimp not super pretty (both 6 petal crimp.. 8 petals re-crimp better and are easier to de-shot) but all are uniform, have a strong physical crimp, don't rattle and function/dry cycle through my pump gun. These were raw-dog loaded, no lube.. next batch I might powdercoat them for the fun of it.
I'll let you know how they actually shoot out of both semiautomatic and pump guns, intending to paper plate them at 30 yards.

View attachment 994453View attachment 994450View attachment 994452View attachment 994451
Raw doggin' the balls!! :s0023:

Try hospital corners when crimping next time. :s0108:

You need to use a shot tower or something similar to make small shot. There are home built and commercial rigs.. I don't know too much about it save it's persnickety to do and probably a good bit of cash outlay for the gear.
Yeah, I don't doubt to do it efficiently, you'd need a tower. I was hoping there might be some like-minded idiots like me who would pour a half dozen pieces of shot at a time just to say they made their own shot, all the while buying 25lb bags of it still to fill their field loads.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top