JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone know of any good public lands within 2 hrs of Portland where I can shoot a few squirrels? They are all over the the city getting big and fat and when I go hiking in the woods all I see is the little chipmunk/ground squirrels.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Dave
Same question - but seagulls here in Hoodsport -they've made a mess of my brand new roof - I'm install bird spikes this week, but there are one or two older males and I think that if could remove them from the population, the others would get the message.

At this point, I've used lots of Pin-Sol to act as a deterrent but some of these birds are as stubborn as I am

You can't kill gulls or the like, I'm pretty sure. I don't know why you would want to hunt them anyway. Killing a nuisance animal isn't hunting. I'm also not sure how killing gulls on public lands would help you keep gulls from pooping on your roof. I also don't think you can "hunt" anything that isn't a game animal legally, except for invasive species.
Hopefully those spikes work for you.

I don't really care about your roof either. LoL

On topic post!
Anyone have a good way to tan a squirrel and keep the fur?
I could use some dubbing...

Last Edited:
That seems like something a Californian would do... Har Har GET IT? California indigenous' solution to every problem is an acorn! LoL

I'd try it if I had plentiful access to acorns...

If you go hunt out around Wamic, Pine Hollow area. There are acorns everywhere. While hunting i picked up acorns. I had read about using acorns since they are full of tannin. I speparated the good from bad. Crushed the meat to a fine powder, and rubbed it in to the hide. Works pretty good.
To separate the good from bad: dump them in a big bucket of cold water. The bad ones will float. Scoop them off, and discard, them pull the good acorns back out of the water to dry.

That seems like a good destination for me! I'll look into it a little more. That's definitely a cool method. Probably hit pine hollow as soon as the fishing gets good next year.
Thanks! :)

I get Eastern Gray and Fox Squirrels in my yard quite often. I feed them a .25 caliber pellet from my high powered air rifle.
I told him he shouldn't be shooting within city limits, but he just wouldn't listen.
Bwahahaha !
house-demolition-620x464.jpg

Same question - but seagulls here in Hoodsport -they've made a mess of my brand new roof - I'm install bird spikes this week, but there are one or two older males and I think that if could remove them from the population, the others would get the message.

At this point, I've used lots of Pin-Sol to act as a deterrent but some of these birds are as stubborn as I am

I hope you're joking, caarecengi, seagulls are federally protected, migratory birds! Go figure. o_O

I hope you're joking, caarecengi, seagulls are federally protected, migratory birds! Go figure. o_O
They're not an endangered species - but I am going to do what I can to discourage them from roosting on the roof.
I agree that it's stupid to discharge a firearm in the city, but there are 2 males and I've really been tempted to do the clay pigeon treatment on them. So I've placed some bird spikes up there and I've also spread some Pin-Sol around the area.

I am going to get a pellet gun and maybe a super soaker to provide additional aversion therapy - and I saw this device that you plug in, which emits high frequency sound and uses a strobe light to further annoy them.

In short - they're really no better than pigeons - but like I said, if these two males were outta there, I think that would really solve the problem...

East Cascade foothills. White River, Hood River, Barlow Trail, all good choices. There seems to be a huge difference between silver grays (which they now call Western Grays) in different areas. .........

P.S. I just found this...

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/docs/TreeSquirrels.pdf

NONNATIVE SPECIES
The Eastern gray and Eastern fox squirrels are considered invasive species
as supported by OAR 635-056 which classifies them as Nonnative
Prohibited Wildlife. Because these species are unprotected, they can be
hunted year-round and there is no bag limit.
Note: If an injured or orphaned Eastern gray squirrel or Eastern fox
squirrel is brought to a licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility, it must be
humanely euthanized.

-----
Thanks for the post. In looking at the pictures it looks like we have Douglas squirrels in this area. We are AWASH in them. They dig up your garden or most anything else that is small enough to destroy. And don't leave a bag of anything laying around either. Bird feeder? Hah! Just try.

We are over near Washington Square, square in the middle of suburbia, and the biggest predator of the things are cars. As a neighbor said: "The cute wore off a long time ago.".

Now why the ODFW would publish that their numbers are declining is the height of silliness to me, or anyone else in our area. I suspect the rise of coyotes might have more to do with it than anything.

Sorry this doesn't help with the OP question of hunting, but the old lady next door did try to taser one that was digging up her flowers!! but that doesn't sound like much fun.

Meh, I really don't care about the old lady's perfectly maacured flowers either... lol
Just be careful and know the laws.

Maybe you can get a tax deduction for having a threatened species inhabiting your yard? Idk
Good luck!

Thank you for confirming, you're a voice of reason.
UPDATE: I started to install the bird spikes on the roof - the one alpha male (I suspect it's the same one) was not deterred and continued to not only roost there, but also call out to his buddies to join him. I got one of those pellet guns from WalMart and hit him right in the breast area - it didn't break the skin but it did get his attention. The birds appear to be gone (roosting in the telephone poles or the platform on my neighbor's dock) - I was right in my suspicions that "getting rid of the alpha male would solve the problem"

Long story short - I still plan on finishing the bird spike installation (it's about halfway done now) and I am hopeful that next spring the problem will not recur.

And I am grateful for the opinions from the valued members of this forum. You guys rock

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top