JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Latest issue is having your rig broken into by thieves while you are trying to fish and relax

It's bad enough here that guys are actually talking about baiting tweekers with a car stuffed with gear, then rushing them when they try and break in. I won't say what happens next just on the off chance it actually occurs.

Videos like these always bum me out.....

I remember once a few years back my wife and I were coming back from a hike in the North Cascades and on the outskirts of Darrington Washington there was a little store were we stopped and got a soda. There was a beat up old truck in the parking lot with two Indian guys, one who approached me as I was walking out of the store. He asked me if I wanted to buy some venison, took me over to his truck and in the back was a small doe that had been shot in the last few hours. I could have bought it for $50. I was super pissed and reported it to one of my Sheriff buddies when I got back into town, he told me that it "happens all the time up there".....:angry:

It's bad enough here that guys are actually talking about baiting tweekers with a car stuffed with gear, then rushing them when they try and break in. I won't say what happens next just on the off chance it actually occurs.

Just my style.. but I hope these lads have backhoe justice and a stiff upper lip ready

Fishing, fishing regs, and fishing reg enforcement are 3 seperate things that do not always go together. Add some Indians, toss in a few overwhelmed LEO's, and stir with the 1974 Boldt Decision. Dont forget to season with dams, tree huggers, and global warming. I quit. Its just no fun anymore. When a man needs a concealed handgun to fish safely its time to quit.

I don't conceal when fishing, would be no point in carrying because if I'm fishing, I'm in chest waders & a minimalist chest rig to carry fly or lure boxes, couple spools of leader material, and nippers in. I've had a few dudes give me a wide birth or do a 180 after spotting my pistol. Most folk don't even seem to notice, or if they do, they don't give a crap. Never had OSP or sheriff deps say anything about it (not that its illegal anyway).

There are a couple places I enjoy fishing, I would never consider going unarmed in, just because of the shady characters that also frequent the area. I don't think we should let the D-bags run us law abiding sportsmen out of the woods and waters or prey on us.

Blitzkrieg said:
Latest issue is having your rig broken into by thieves while you are trying to fish and relax

This happened to me and my cousin on the Wilson a couple years ago. We were parked in a pull out, easily visible to passing traffic. The guy jimmied the lock on the back door of my Jeep, on the side away from the road. He got a couple cameras (that were hidden out of sight), nephews backpack that had his spare clothes, bus change, and non-activated iPhone and a couple other small things. He left a 50 ct box of .380 ammo that was in the same compartment as my camera, and he left a $300 Echo fly rod & reel alone that was in its tube in the cargo area.

I got a call from the Tillamook Co. Sheriff about six or seven months after filing my report, to say that they busted a guy they pinned 50+ car prowls on, but they hadn't found evidence linking him to *my* car. Whereas I'd like to have seen him doing 10+ years in the pokey, I"m sure he plead down to probation, or 6 months in jail, or some such easy cheesy crap. They've still never recovered any of our stuff, to my knowledge.

On the whole tribal fishing rights thing - I believe it's time to end the whole ******** treaty nonsense, get rid of the reservations, and make the tribes fully integrate with the rest of the US. The semi-sovereign BS, the double standards, the federal money pumped into tribes needs to end. One less special interest. They can still celebrate their heritage, they can still learn the "old ways" and the tribal history, without the stigmas and limitations foisted upon them by the BIA, and the whole reservation/treaty system. I'm sure touchy feely greeny weeny states like Oregon and Washington would put in place a permit system that would allow limited heritage hunts and fishing seasons to allow for the "old ways" to be practiced if someone wanted to do so. But they should be limited to nets of a certain size, no fish wheels, no rods/reels/hooks or modern equipment, no power boats, no modern firearms, no in-line muzzle loaders, bow & arrow, spears, or traps only. And for limited seasons, with limits on number and type of fish & game to be taken.

It chaps my back side when sportsmen are constantly hamstrung and shafted, or you land in hot water because your hook has a barb on it that *might* cause a fish to die if it's released, to have seasons shorted (or closed entirely) - then see dozens of big gill nets on the river, and to see pictures of the haul of these gill nets, and the by-catch they produce. Gill nets don't discriminate on type of fish, hatchery vs nate - they kill anything big enough to get stuck in them. They get to sell "us" the native fish that we otherwise would have to release unharmed and get an ***-chewing over for taking the fish out of the water. Their nets kill young sturgeon just the same as a hatchery steelhead. If a sportsman kills a juvenile sturgeon, he gets a hefty fine. It's just by-catch for the tribal nets.

I could rant for hours about this crap, but it'd be a waste of time.

Forgive my ignorance, as I've not really fished since I was a kid, and don't know a lot about it, but what the heck is going on in that video? Are they fishing with a big hook and just yanking it up through fish? Why is it illegal (more painful than getting caught by mouth?). Why does it seem so effective (seems like they caught a lot)? It doesn't seem like that would be an easy way to catch fish. And most curiously, why the heck are they just throwing the fish across the street? Are they not going to eat them? What kind of fish, BTW?

Ah ha! Somebody "fished" up this old thread.
Apparently if your a tribal member there it isn't illegal, although I personally find it unethical.
Its called snagging. You take a treble hook and throw it across to the other side of the fish and jerk through the fish where the hook pierces the fish in the body, their not striking a lure or bait, just being, in my words,,, poached.

It is both wrong and painful. As to why they just throw fish across the street, well I wasn't there so I do not know if they later retrieved them, if not they should be charged with wanton waist of a game species.

There are many questions that went unanswered that came with this video. I for one wouldn't implement these tactics, I find them both deplorable and despicable.

If I'm fishing on rivers and streams that I frequent and see this going on, not only will I confront the person or persons in an attempt to get them to change their tactics, I will also contact the OSP officer that works this area (of whom I have a world of respect for) and give descriptions, locations and vehicle plate numbers. I don't give a damn who on this site or elsewhere it upsets either. If I stand by and do nothing,, well you know the old sayings,,,

The illegal snaggers are only after the salmons eggs. They are hooked, dragged out of the water, then gutted for the females eggs and tossed across the road to remove the evidence.

Well said SRJ but I'll ad to it for skier, if your fishing a hole and you hear "comin up" or "comin down" a lot, or you hear the sound of rods whipping through the air, you are in a snagging hole.
The times I have called the WA poaching line (WHP) (dozens), I got a mundane voice & a sigh at the end of the conversation like it is so damn common they are bored to freakin tears & could care less!!! Why is WHP charged with this task???
Enforcement is the problem with WDFW, their attitude is that once they get the fees they don't care, they will just keep managing the fisheries into extinction!!!!

The eggs are used as bait and have cash value.
The salmon meat is not desirable depending on the species or the time of year that they come up river to spawn.

The eggs are used as bait and have cash value.
The salmon meat is not desirable depending on the species or the time of year that they come up river to spawn.

Many are sold to Japan and South Korea where the eggs are considered a delicacy. Guides usually get a good portion of the rest (all the while the whine and complain about nets on the rivers)
It's not uncommon on some rivers to find piles of Chums or Silvers left to rot after those gillnetting stewards of nature remove the eggs. I found a pile of Chums on a lower Humptulips River boat launch a few years back :(.

I love threads like these, I am half Chiricahua and when I hear people bellyache about these things it gets me thinking about how fairly the natives were treated in the first place. And then I see "white" people on subsistence living "reality TV shows using fish wheels and the like...I don't have a dog in the fight either way, I don't trade in on my heritage to get anything from anyone, weren't raised to take anything I didn't earn. I personally don't think the gillnets should be used because they do catch more species than what their goin for. OTOH the "old ways" probably did the same thing and it seems to me that when the "old ways" were in practice there were plenty of fish to feed the people that were using them, cuz back then there was no lake safeway..
IMHO of course

I really wouldn't mind if the "old ways" were used, but we both know that's not the case. I too have native American blood in my veins, only about a quarter though. I don't believe that any race or color of folks should be treated to special rights. Reparations to African Americans, special rights for Natives etc. all cause dissension that breeds bigotry and hate. It also creates dependency upon those that hold the purse strings.
We, my father, his father and I, never accepted this and I never will.
By the way, I love the comment about lake safeway, good one!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top