Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Got Me a new Pea shooter today...

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by jakk586, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

and I felt the need to share. It's a Springfield Armory V10 Champion.

2. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

Thanks for sharing! I hope you can shoot it as good as it looks! :D

3. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

Boy, that is a heavy duty looking pistol. Sure pretty. Spad

4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Nice!!!

5. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

very nice !
    Let us know how she shoots,meaning we want a range report PRONTO . :)

6. jakk586

hopefully tomorrow.

7. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. (Sad face inserted here)

Nice pick up!

8. jakk586

went out to shoot yesterday. i don't have a full range report, as i had several other pistols in the que to try out and function test and i was running low on targets.

first, the gun only came with one magazine. a metalform 8 rounder. at least i think it's an 8 rounder. it has witness holes for the bottom 6, plus the two on top. but it refused to accept 8 and took 7. it is the only magazine i have as i let my spares go with my last 1911 trade.

function was ok, however, i had two instances of ftf on last round. i'm not sure if this was the mag or extractor. the bullet was jammed hard into the top of the chamber, and the rim was jammed at an extreme angle against the extractor hook. i need better and mor magazines before i try to sort this issue out.

range of all shots was a measured 20yds. first mag of the day went into 5". i was mostly paying attention on function, and paying particular attention to the affect of the port system to the overall function and shootability of the gun. ammo was federal american eagle 230gr fmj. this load may use a low flash powder, or it was happening to fast to notice, or perhaps it was to bright out to notice, but no discernable difference in muzzle flash was observed over any other 1911 i have fired. after realizing that nest wasn't going to pay a visit and my eyebrows were indeed safe, i was able to settle into a rythm. groups started to shrink. ammo and targets were running low, and i had two jams on the last round of my last two mags so i called it quits.

shooting impressions: the ports work as advertised. recoil was reduced. this is my first experience with a commander length barrel, and my first with a coned bushingless barrel. reduced recoil may simply be a function of reduced velocity of the shorter barrel, but i don't think so. muzzle rise was reduced to a level on par with my bil's g17, and i was hitting very fast follow up shots. i like it. i will get some more ammo, targets, and magazines, and post up some pics of groups once i get settled with it.

9. MEP1000

MEP1000 Milwaukie Active Member

Looks good :thumbup:

10. chiefchip

chiefchip Rainier, Oregon Member

Very Nice

11. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

Nice... If it were me, I might buff of the warning off the barrel hood.